• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I think he just needed a rest after his illness a few months back. Some viruses etc can linger for months and take it out of you. I'd like to think we will see a lot better from him next year, however given his contract situation, he needs to sign a new one first.

Pretty much as i see it as well, a fully fit/committed Dier would be big part of our team going forward.

He has had games though

I’m a fan but to me he has lost it and now probably needs a love for a refresh

Plenty of players have a lull mid-career and regain form the other side. I am not saying that this will happen with Dier or that the best place for that to happen is here but given the seriousness of his illness last year, it seems a little silly to write him off.

I think some fans have unnecessarily got on the back of a player who has had an awful time with injuries and illness. He has talent and I fully hope Jose and his team are planning to get him back to his best and for him to commit his future to the club.

Plenty of players have a lull mid-career and regain form the other side. I am not saying that this will happen with Dier or that the best place for that to happen is here but given the seriousness of his illness last year, it seems a little silly to write him off.
But he has had chances
The team is changing and moving on
I’m one who has defended him here numerous times but sometimes it’s right for a change

He has had games though

I’m a fan but to me he has lost it and now probably needs a love for a refresh

Yes he has but i am not sure that most fans relise what a illness can do to you and your recovery. He has struggled but if and it may be a big if he can return next season fully fit and recovered then he will be a major player for us. I do agree that he needs to resign though.

Yes he has but i am not sure that most fans relise what a illness can do to you and your recovery. He has struggled but if and it may be a big if he can return next season fully fit and recovered then he will be a major player for us. I do agree that he needs to resign though.
So many ifs and maybes. Can he finally return to the level he was at in 2016? A level that was honestly improved upon (Wanyama). I don't know if he's worth the time investment tbh.

One other thing which I don't know how accurate but some newspaper stories are saying that he has said he wants to play at CB so all of our debate maybe misguided. Unless the question of keeping him as a CB which I'm a bit meh at the idea.

So many ifs and maybes. Can he finally return to the level he was at in 2016? A level that was honestly improved upon (Wanyama). I don't know if he's worth the time investment tbh.

One other thing which I don't know how accurate but some newspaper stories are saying that he has said he wants to play at CB so all of our debate maybe misguided. Unless the question of keeping him as a CB which I'm a bit meh at the idea.

He has said at times that he prefers CB but like you i am not sure that is true, as you say its ifs and maybes but unlike you i believe he should be given the time to see if he can get back to those levels he showed. Still only 26 so i am hoping he will. We shall see.

But he has had chances
I’m one who has defended him here numerous times but sometimes it’s right for a change

I think that you have misunderstood what I am saying. It's not about chances, for whatever reason he's not recovering his form. I think that could be for one of three reasons: he's shot, he's taking a long time to recover from surgery/illness and or he's hit the tips but will come out the other side. I don't know which it is but two of those options suggest he can recover his form.

But he has had chances
As well as seeming to lose much of his physical attributes he is also probably the weakest player in our squad in terms of ability on the ball. The fact that he doesn't even count as an association trained player also goes against him. We should sell while we are still able to generate something of a transfer fee, otherwise I think we'll end up with another Wanyama situation.

I don't think he will be a 'major' player for us even if he returns to his best. I think the best he can hope for is being a bit part player at our club. When shopping at the top table it should be possible to find a player with his (previous) physical attributes but also who has some talent on the ball (Soumare for instance).

I don't think he will be a 'major' player for us even if he returns to his best. I think the best he can hope for is being a bit part player at our club. When shopping at the top table it should be possible to find a player with his (previous) physical attributes but also who has some talent on the ball (Soumare for instance).

You may be right but if he is unable to regain that fitness its will be immaterial anyway. I rate him higher then you do ( all about opinions).

more by sheer luck then judgement, I do wonder if Keown is correct that the time is right for Eric to drop back and focus on being a defender - if only to save his career at the top level?...
Um, did you read the posts before yours Jon? The ones discussing him playing at CB?

To me, Dier looks too muscular - like he's been working out, gaining muscle mass. Which makes him too big for the shuttling scuttling modern DM.
He's turned himself into a 400m runner, in an age of marathon runners.

Um, did you read the posts before yours Jon? The ones discussing him playing at CB?

To me, Dier looks too muscular - like he's been working out, gaining muscle mass. Which makes him too big for the shuttling scuttling modern DM.
He's turned himself into a 400m runner, in an age of marathon runners.
Nope. I just went crazy gung-ho and decided to make my very own post all by myself!

Back