• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Just came across this for Dier, and wondered in particular what @scaramanga's view of it would be?! Given your love of Statsbomb and praise of Dier's passing. (Appreciate that it's a very small sample size and from a season where everyone agrees Dier wasn't at his best, but I'd be interested to see if you use that to discount these stats altogether).

dier-winks.png

I'm not trying to bash Dier here - I love the guy - just disagree with Scara and others who think his passing is particularly progressive, and anyone who thinks he's a midfield enforcer. And I find stats interesting (I know some others don't!)

Just came across this for Dier, and wondered in particular what @scaramanga's view of it would be?! Given your love of Statsbomb and praise of Dier's passing. (Appreciate that it's a very small sample size and from a season where everyone agrees Dier wasn't at his best, but I'd be interested to see if you use that to discount these stats altogether).

dier-winks.png

I'm not trying to bash Dier here - I love the guy - just disagree with Scara and others who think his passing is particularly progressive, and anyone who thinks he's a midfield enforcer. And I find stats interesting (I know some others don't!)
I think this is entirely the wrong year to use for those stats.

When using these in the past I've always used each player's best year (this for Sissoko, 16-17 for Dembele, etc) so that we can see what they are capable of.

If you're using those stats to show that an unfit Dier isn't much of a player then I'll agree with you and raise you a Harry Kane.

I think this is entirely the wrong year to use for those stats.

When using these in the past I've always used each player's best year (this for Sissoko, 16-17 for Dembele, etc) so that we can see what they are capable of.

If you're using those stats to show that an unfit Dier isn't much of a player then I'll agree with you and raise you a Harry Kane.

Yeah frustratingly that's the only radar on Dier I could find. Any idea whether a member of the public can pay Statsbomb to access their data? From their website I couldn't find a way. Might email them.

Yeah frustratingly that's the only radar on Dier I could find. Any idea whether a member of the public can pay Statsbomb to access their data? From their website I couldn't find a way. Might email them.
I've not been able to find it. The suggestion is that the cost would be far too prohibitive for mere mortals.

I've been after some decent Dier data for a while because he's about the only one of our players that hasn't has the full statistical analysis applied.

Edit:. Whilst not nearly as relevant or measured, Dier shows up very well on the Squawka comparison against our other midfielders when you select his best against theirs.

I saw in the Marcus Edwards article that he mentioned that Eric Dier had helped him when he was training with the first team and I recall that he did the same with Dele when he first joined (and the bromance ensued). I hope he can get back to full fitness, as he strikes me as a good character to have around the team.

If he’s to make it at Spurs, this is where he’ll make it because he’s not a good midfielder.
Complete opposite for me, he’s an average CB but an excellant CM on form and fit, as we quite clearly saw in his first couple of seasons with us, hence him getting picked for England there.

He had an average season pre World Cup and last season is obviously a write off through injury and illness.

Complete opposite for me, he’s an average CB but an excellant CM on form and fit, as we quite clearly saw in his first couple of seasons with us, hence him getting picked for England there.

He had an average season pre World Cup and last season is obviously a write off through injury and illness.

England have a dearth of good midfielders. That’s why Jordan Henderson keeps getting picked. England also has a habit of ignoring good ball players in the middle of the park. I hope Winks doesn’t end up in the same bucket as Hoddle and Carrick.

Dier is limited in midfield. The fact he has mistakes in his game makes him a worry at centre back but if he can work them out, the future looks bright with him, Foyth and Sanchez.

The short memories of many Spurs fans continues to astound me.

I saw in the Marcus Edwards article that he mentioned that Eric Dier had helped him when he was training with the first team and I recall that he did the same with Dele when he first joined (and the bromance ensued). I hope he can get back to full fitness, as he strikes me as a good character to have around the team.

He is a good character no question, his other big attribute is flexibility (Poch loves a player that can play multiple roles)

As other have said, coming off easily his worse season for Spurs, on a normal transfer window I could see us looking at options, but we have so many other deals to do, he's probably comfortable for another season.

However if someone made a big enough offer (United), I wouldn't be surprised to see the club sell (or Dier take the offer)

Probably end up in the O'Shea role, good player who's dependable but just not quite at the right level but useful to keep and trusted to start 25-30 games a season across multiple positions.

I want Dier to stay. He embodies Poch's revolution as much as Kane. But I want to see him return to Centre back and continue his development there.

He generally looks and acts cheerful. I like that.

Except when some rival has been nasty toward him and he's had to deal with him and the ref has got it wrong and he's rightly giving him an earful.

I like that, too.

Back