• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

CUuDaJ1WcAAuAHe.jpg

Whatever it is they're being paid to drink, I'm not touching it.

Same here, I buy what I want not what some brick on TV tells me.

its more likely you haven't even realized you have been advertised to ...

How do you buy electronics? tv/phone/games or big ticket items (car/appliances/etc.)? Your perception of a brand has a lot to do with how it positions itself, how its been advertised, web reviews (which are often paid for, influenced and/or equipment supplied by same brand), a movie/tv show you saw (Bond example) where people pay for positioning (every fudging tv show in the US has a laptop with huge apple logo on it, even the news)

We could step into the random section of this site, look at google vs apple, Microsoft vs. sony, bmw vs. Mercedes conversations/arguments where laughingly people defend, fight for huge multinational, multi billion dollar companies. Those companies have advertised and positioned their brands, if you think you have not been influenced by that ... there are some paid advertisers having a good laugh right now.

How do you buy electronics? tv/phone/games or big ticket items (car/appliances/etc.)? Your perception of a brand has a lot to do with how it positions itself, how its been advertised, web reviews (which are often paid for, influenced and/or equipment supplied by same brand), a movie/tv show you saw (Bond example) where people pay for positioning (every fudgeing tv show in the US has a laptop with huge apple logo on it, even the news)

We could step into the random section of this site, look at google vs apple, Microsoft vs. sony, bmw vs. Mercedes conversations/arguments where laughingly people defend, fight for huge multinational, multi billion dollar companies. Those companies have advertised and positioned their brands, if you think you have not been influenced by that ... there are some paid advertisers having a good laugh right now.

You are right about that I guess, but I would suggest that they are laughing at the sheep that follow the flock and believe what they read all the time.

You are right about that I guess, but I would suggest that they are laughing at the sheep that follow the flock and believe what they read all the time.

We are all influenced ... and yes, there are sheep that blindly have brand loyalty (Apple is an easy example), vs. others who more subtly are influenced.

Want vs. need, good enough vs. must have new toy, have to buy something based on yet another made up occasion, we are manipulated by consumerism and the advertising bombardment we live through daily. I try to fight it, but also know I've been influenced and probably made decisions that were driven by external factors.

How do you buy electronics? tv/phone/games or big ticket items (car/appliances/etc.)? Your perception of a brand has a lot to do with how it positions itself, how its been advertised, web reviews (which are often paid for, influenced and/or equipment supplied by same brand), a movie/tv show you saw (Bond example) where people pay for positioning (every fudgeing tv show in the US has a laptop with huge apple logo on it, even the news)

As somebody that doesn't have TV or read a newspaper , I'm reasonably confident that advertising doesn't have a huge effect on my choices, added to which I choose not to consume wherever possible, all my furniture, my clothes etc come gently used or on sale. My computer was purchased used too.

When you live in one of the wealthiest beach towns in America other peoples barely used cast offs are fantastic. I pride myself on being the ultimate anti consumer in the ultimate consumerist society

We are all influenced ... and yes, there are sheep that blindly have brand loyalty (Apple is an easy example), vs. others who more subtly are influenced.

Want vs. need, good enough vs. must have new toy, have to buy something based on yet another made up occasion, we are manipulated by consumerism and the advertising bombardment we live through daily. I try to fight it, but also know I've been influenced and probably made decisions that were driven by external factors.

Well that may be the case in some cases but personally I buy when I need something and only things that i want. Now i suppose you can say that i must have seen some information about the things i buy but that is a lot different then buying stuff (because its a new toy) or some prick on the tv is telling me that i MUST have this because is the best.

As somebody that doesn't have TV or read a newspaper , I'm reasonably confident that advertising doesn't have a huge effect on my choices, added to which I choose not to consume wherever possible, all my furniture, my clothes etc come gently used or on sale. My computer was purchased used too.

When you live in one of the wealthiest beach towns in America other peoples barely used cast offs are fantastic. I pride myself on being the ultimate anti consumer in the ultimate consumerist society

Going off the topic for a minute i lived in Huntington Beach many years ago and i could not believe some of the stuff that was left in the bins by folks, i still have some of it now.

Going off the topic for a minute i lived in Huntington Beach many years ago and i could not believe some of the stuff that was left in the bins by folks, i still have some of it now.

It's incredible mate, one of my neighbours once gave me a car, I kid you not.

It wasn't a Chevy Impala was it, i ask because when we left to come back to England i gave my car to a neighbour. :)

Sadly not! It was a VW beetle convertible, that ran for about another five years and was then traded in against my next used car purcgase

Sadly not! It was a VW beetle convertible, that ran for about another five years and was then traded in against my next used car purcgase

There I was thinking this is a sensible guy who I could have a pint with down the pub and you go and spoil it by saying you had VW beetle.

Back