• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Don't you just love religion?

mick cooper

Neil Sullivan
In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an internet letter to Dr. Laura.....ENJOY

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding GHod's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of GHod's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors.... They claim the odor is not pleasing to them.

Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.

Am I morally obligated to kill him myself,

or should I ask the police to do it for us?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of GHod if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, can I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that GHod's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia

P.S. It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian.

=D>

I'm a firm believer in live and let live but some overly religious people need a serious dose of reality.

i have been brought up in a religious household BUT I dont really practice it but its still ingrained in my heart and mind. What I would say is that NOT ALL religious people go around "preaching". NOT ALL religious people go around paraphrasing the bible. NOT ALL religious people go around acting as if their mightier than thou.

Overly religious people tinkle me off as much as it tinkles off the next person cos it gives religious people a 'bad' name. Then again you can argue that non religious people go around convincing religious people that theyre wrong.

Anyways that letter does make sense and deems the bible to be outdated - which some of its content is.

The bible is outdated, 2000+ years

The fundamental precepts and truths still remain as a guide to life, but quite clearly the stuff the responder referenced are all the archaic and anachronistic edicts that make no sense whatsoever in a modern society.

Nobody will re-write the damn thing though as its seen as tampering with Gods holy word

which ultimately will mean the end of Christianity as a religion, as modern free thinking westerners refuse to swallow the old outdated rubbish. The muslims, who have no problem at all about keeping peoples thought processes in the dark ages are quids in, they just have to bide their time for when to strike

rather missing the point that the world will then be full of people who will simply fight back on the basis that ancient religious dogma is flimflam, no matter what flavour it comes in.

PS - I realise that the muslim comment doesn't work with more westernised muslims, who also happily skip past the more contentious parts of the koran, but as we have seen, muslim societies are starting to revert to a more traditional approach to their faith, and they have no problem at all about brainwashing people from birth in the more fundamental countries.

oh GHod, im finding myself agreeing with Mick ;):lol:

on a serious note - i would genuinely like to hear Volspurs view to the above
in a thread the other day Volspur stated his (?) view on homosexuality being wrong as it was stated in the bible and that the bible should be obeyed verbatim

who knows, maybe this will result in a sensible religious debate (they usually just end up as a slanging match with everyone thinking they have taken some kind of moral highground)

oh GHod, im finding myself agreeing with Mick ;):lol:

on a serious note - i would genuinely like to hear Volspurs view to the above
in a thread the other day Volspur stated his (?) view on homosexuality being wrong as it was stated in the bible and that the bible should be obeyed verbatim

who knows, maybe this will result in a sensible religious debate (they usually just end up as a slanging match with everyone thinking they have taken some kind of moral highground)

There was a decent debate that sprung up after Christopher Hitchens' death on the old board.

I don't really like stepping on people's toes and try to respect everyone's views and opinions. However, religions in general tend to come with a rulebook (that are interpreted differently by different sects) that many, in the US at least, try to apply to people beyond themselves. Especially since I come from a religious background, I try to show respect but it's hypocritical of religious types to be offended when they so often go on the offensive against all sorts of different groups (namely other religions). I thought religion was supposed to teach love and understanding. Very rarely do I see anything good come out of it.

Can you call yourself religiouss and not belive in it?

Im catholic it was a large part of my life growing up the church and at my school it feels like a part of me. But i do not belive a word of anything i was ever told. A bloke died on a cross and came back to life, another bloke parted the sea and walked through it with a load of other people, i just do not buy it.

But i grew up with the catholic church and no one tried to rape me, maybe i was an ugly kid i don't know but i remember the church doing lots of good charity work and care in the community. But yeah religion is flimflam.

The sooner reason triumphs, the better for all mankind, but make no mistake, those in whitehall and the whitehouse value it immensely as a convenient tool of control, and the added bonus it provides as a divide and conquer mechanism.

Parts of the west are only about a century ahead of most of the Muslim world when progressing towards reason. It will come there in time as sure as night follows day. It is a plain fact that the wider one educates themselves, the more the archaic nonsenses will not ring true.

If only we don't go and tell a pack of lies to go and remove their more secular leaders and butcher the populace for a quick barrel of oil....

Oh, wait...

Can you call yourself religiouss and not belive in it?
Im catholic it was a large part of my life growing up the church and at my school it feels like a part of me. But i do not belive a word of anything i was ever told. A bloke died on a cross and came back to life, another bloke parted the sea and walked through it with a load of other people, i just do not buy it.

But i grew up with the catholic church and no one tried to rape me, maybe i was an ugly kid i don't know but i remember the church doing lots of good charity work and care in the community. But yeah religion is flimflam.

i guess it depends what you choose to "beleive in" - most religion has goodness and caring at its heart and as its core values, the problem is people in religion being blinkered to "what the bible sets out to acheive" and "what the bible says". My issue with religion is, as some have said above, its actions are out dated and rely on following the bible verbatim, not applying present social context.

so many churches do great things, and im happy to help my mum (church secretary of a small church) with some of the events and stuff they put on as i know it helps someone else (someone should tell Cameron - there's a big social idea in there somewhere) and are such an important part of making the lives of non religious people better, just through caring.
and that is heartwarming. then you have to narrow mindedness of "homosexuality is wrong". well so is repression, but religion still does a damn good job of it.

part of the problem is religion is too big. but i have no sympathy for it as i dont see it doing enough to get its own house in order.

let ye without sin cast the first stone (or something like it)

The sooner reason triumphs, the better for all mankind, but make no mistake, those in whitehall and the whitehouse value it immensely as a convenient tool of control, and the added bonus it provides as a divide and conquer mechanism.

Parts of the west are only about a century ahead of most of the Muslim world when progressing towards reason. It will come there in time as sure as night follows day. It is a plain fact that the wider one educates themselves, the more the archaic nonsenses will not ring true.
If only we don't go and tell a pack of lies to go and remove their more secular leaders and butcher the populace for a quick barrel of oil....

Oh, wait...

only if you can study whilst drowning out the noises of he who shouts loudest

Back