• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

Because the economy here is absolutely booming, unemployment is at record lows and in the eyes of most Americans he hasn't actually done a whole lot wrong. Added to which the Democratic party don't seem to have anyone in their ranks capable of taking him on and beating him. Unless something changes drastically in the next 12 months he's a slam dunk.
Well I have read that it is booming for the 1%, not the middle class whos real earnings have stagnated in comparison to living costs. And the gig economy, people working multiple jobs, means that there is a massive swathe of people who are working poor. Looking deeper than the headline paints a different picture.

The dems have some great candidates IMO. As for who can beat him well who knows, or maybe he won't even make it to the election (I think he will to be honest). One theory is that the dems are stalling on starting an impeachment enquiry for now, but at some point will kick it off and slow walk it all to way up to the election. The senate won't impeach Trump with McConnell at the helm, and they know this, but they'll get all the facts out in the open at least. Seems plausible to me.

I thought most Americans disapproved of him anyway?

According to who? Trump? I thought these claims have been debunked..

Don't tell me you believe Drumpf's tweets or even worse, watch Murdoch media news?
I live here, I see and hear on a daily basis what is going on. The stock market is doing great, the economy is great. African American unemployment is at a 50 year low. I don't read the Donalds tweets or read Mr Murdoch's press but I do talk to folk on a daily basis and I also employ people. It's boom time for the bulk of our nation.

Well I have read that it is booming for the 1%, not the middle class whos real earnings have stagnated in comparison to living costs. And the gig economy, people working multiple jobs, means that there is a massive swathe of people who are working poor. Looking deeper than the headline paints a different picture.

The dems have some great candidates IMO. As for who can beat him well who knows, or maybe he won't even make it to the election (I think he will to be honest). One theory is that the dems are stalling on starting an impeachment enquiry for now, but at some point will kick it off and slow walk it all to way up to the election. The senate won't impeach Trump with McConnell at the helm, and they know this, but they'll get all the facts out in the open at least. Seems plausible to me.

I thought most Americans disapproved of him anyway?

All I know is what I see all around me every day. Boom time. Stock market up, gold price up, unemployment is low. Is he an oaf? Absolutely . But I'll be amazed if he doesn't win a second term

All I know is what I see all around me every day. Boom time. Stock market up, gold price up, unemployment is low. Is he an oaf? Absolutely . But I'll be amazed if he doesn't win a second term
The 1%.
Classing him as an oaf really undersells his failings as a human in an epic way.

What has really amazed me since this thread began, is how much non Americans simply don't understand America and yet feel free to expound on it . It would be a bit like me expounding on Denmark, a place I have never been and no nothing of. I must admit that I thought I knew America but until I moved here 15 years ago I really hadn't a clue about what makes America tick. It's been an interesting 15 years to say the least.

America's massive middle class is doing very well.
g7oky.jpg

?

But its not.BTW where do you live?
Actually, you are right. The hollowing of the American middle class has stopped this last year from a few recent reports (depending how you define middle class). However real wages are down 1.3% in 2018 so effectively people are poorer. And income inequality charts never painted a worse picture.

To be honest I'm not really that interested in US domestic policy. When I lived in the US it obviously affected me but I'm long gone. The foreign and environmental policy does affect me however. And the reason why people comment on that so frequently as it is front page news in every country every other day, even Denmark.

Are you a Republican? Don't answer if you don't want to.

Last edited:
Why is it shrinking then? Why is the number in absolute poverty and the number working poor still increasing if the economy is doing so well?

Indeed.
The same old “employment” figures are being trotted out, you know, the ones which take people off the unemployed/welfare statistics sheet but leave them having to work two jobs to even stand a chance of being able to make their way in the world. Which leads to latchkey kids. Which when combined with deinvestment in public education leads to...well, we know...

Actually, you are right. The hollowing of the American middle class has stopped this last year from a few recent reports (depending how you define middle class). However real wages are down 1.3% in 2018 so effectively people are poorer. And income inequality charts never painted a worse picture.

To be honest I'm not really that interested in US domestic policy. When I live in the US it obviously affected me but I'm long gone. The foreign and environmental policy does affect me however. And the reason why people comment on that so frequently as it is front page news in every country every other day, even Denmark.

Are you a Republican? Don't answer if you don't want to.

I'm an independent, My vote could literally go anywhere. I find the definition of poverty in American interesting. Compared to a large chunk of the world even someone living in poverty in the US is well off. America has its faults like everywhere in fact, but overall I find it a fine place to live for the moment at least.

I'm an independent, My vote could literally go anywhere. I find the definition of poverty in American interesting. Compared to a large chunk of the world even someone living in poverty in the US is well off. America has its faults like everywhere in fact, but overall I find it a fine place to live for the moment at least.
What is poverty is indeed an interesting discussion, but one for another day.

What has really amazed me since this thread began, is how much non Americans simply don't understand America and yet feel free to expound on it . It would be a bit like me expounding on Denmark, a place I have never been and no nothing of. I must admit that I thought I knew America but until I moved here 15 years ago I really hadn't a clue about what makes America tick. It's been an interesting 15 years to say the least.
The problem is more that Americans don't know brick about anyone else, yet roam around the globe, trying to be the world police.

Back