• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does being a good person hinder you in life?

In terms of work? relationships just everything really. Can you 'make it' being a decent and kind person all your life or do you need a bit of a darkside in order to have really 'made it'?

I ask this because i genuinly consider myself to be a kind hearted person but the people around me (be it work or social life) seem to have some sort of 'dodgy' side to them that seems to help them achieve more and more. I mean i'm happy with my job, happy with my personal life, happy with everything really but sometimes i do think to myself 'how does he get away with this all the time' or think that how fair is it that the person that's well lets just say being dodgy seems to be getting far more than i am being 100% straight. Meh i don't know.

It depends on your goal in life or what you deem as success in life. I personally deem success as being happy, so if being good makes you feel happy then it's a success.

Are you saying all corporations do bad things? Not disagreeing but how will we save the world and cure poverty without philanthropists and corporate taxes.

No, but I can say with a lot of confidence that the large corporations in my particular field of work do more harm than good.

In my line of work, there are a few different career paths. Some of which involve trying to do good for the world, others involve 'selling out' and doing a job which helps a massive company make a lot of money, but ultimately causes more harm than good to society.

I could double my salary (and then some) if I moved over to the dark side. But I don't think it would make me happy, so I haven't even considered it.

Does that equate to being 'hindered'? Maybe. But I'd rather achieve less 'success' whilst remaining proud of what I do and the way that I do it.
Sort of explains why you're a Yid and not a Gooner!

As others have alluded to, being a good person doesn't hinder you at all - just that in the right scenarios you must have a bit of backbone otherwise people will walk all over you. Being a nice person in a social setting also means that you're more likely to have a good group of friends, as opposed to being a dingdonghead and having no-one that you can talk to on a personal level.

It explains why I have no respect for Sol Campbell, who opted for success over being a good person.

Sort of explains why you're a Yid and not a Gooner!

As others have alluded to, being a good person doesn't hinder you at all - just that in the right scenarios you must have a bit of backbone otherwise people will walk all over you. Being a nice person in a social setting also means that you're more likely to have a good group of friends, as opposed to being a dingdonghead and having no-one that you can talk to on a personal level.

Very true.

i worked for some absolute ****s to over the years but a nice guy who tries to be a **** to get ahead will not be able to carry it off, only a life long **** can be a real ****

THIS is the absolute gospel truth. You HAVE to be who YOU are...

That's essentially the motto I live my life by. I am all for social justice, and while I like the idea of universal karma, too many innocent people have been punished at the hands of the greedy few. I also try to be humble (or at least not TOO ****y), perhaps because I mock those that celebrate completing the most trivial flimflam.

:ross:
Corporate taxes? What corporation pays corporate taxes? I thought most corporations based themselves in countries like the Netherlands that have low corporate tax rates and just keep their moneys there until tax holidays.
Loopholes, they're the rule now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_taxes.svg

?ú50 billion a year in the UK from Corporation tax, also the PAYE which is ?ú155 billion, ?ú23 billion from business rates, ?ú104 billion from NI, the majority of which is paid by employers.

I know the point you are trying to make, but I don't like the anti-business agenda and rhetoric these days.

I do think all offshore tax loopholes should be closed.

No, but I can say with a lot of confidence that the large corporations in my particular field of work do more harm than good.

That's why we need regulators with teeth and the political will to act.

I'd stop all corporate donations and lobbying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_taxes.svg

?ú50 billion a year in the UK from Corporation tax, also the PAYE which is ?ú155 billion, ?ú23 billion from business rates, ?ú104 billion from NI, the majority of which is paid by employers.

I know the point you are trying to make, but I don't like the anti-business agenda and rhetoric these days.

I do think all offshore tax loopholes should be closed.

You're right, I ought not generalize. We have a 35% corporate tax rate here in US of A (not including corporate taxes at the state level, derp), compared to your 25%. Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but I guess when profits are in the billions, that 10% could add a digit to the total sum.

I couldn't agree more with you about ending corporate donations and lobbyists. It's totally unrepresentative of the will of the PEOPLE (that's ok, we'll just have the Supreme Court rule in favor of corporations by MAKING them people). After the fiscal irresponsibility of 2008, we have yet to see any high-level prosecutions. Motherfudgers need to be punished.

Shame on the Rich
It seems like having money (or thinking you have money) makes you an asshole (again, just generalizing what the article says). I found the Prius bit the funniest, smug bastards.

I've always believed you should never do anything you would be ashamed or embarrassed to tell your mother or your children, who care what anyone else thinks about you!

Back