• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

What you're saying is true, but this has also been matched with increased accessibility to the source material with greater ability to come to one's own conclusions.

Maybe this just a self confidence issue, but I've never felt that comparison to others was a stressful or negative experience. Then again, it's not really something I've allowed to take up much of my time either.

I know that's not the case for all people, but isn't the difference similar to that of a kid growing up in a village or a city?

This I absolutely agree with, and I think the two sides of it are intrinsically linked.

I can only speak of what I've seen in the UK, but setting targets for university attendance regardless of aptitude is one of the worst political decisions ever made in this country, and stinks of an international tinkling contest.

It not only decreases the value of a degree but also devalues the results of not having one. I'm hugely in favour schools tailoring their education to be more vocational for those who are clearly not suited for academia.

I'm not sure the standards are that ridiculous.

Again, only speaking for the UK but have you seen what people here looked like in the 70s? I think the current trend is going a bit far and will revert a bit like all fashions, but a gym membership and some hair removal can't be a bad thing.

As for the effect that has on an individual, much like the peer comparison issue isn't that just a self confidence thing? If so, then surely the focus should be on the root cause itself?

Consumption is enjoyable. As a product of my hard work I have lots of nice things that I like having. Many merely supplement other interests (projector and good speakers for films), others are labour saving and give me more time (the one thing I can't earn more of) like a robotic mower or a Google Home.

These are all things I didn't know about until they were marketed at me but all improve my life in their own small way.

That's just a stupid tax. Nobody with a brain wants to be famous.

I don't think we're supposed to do anything. If life came with an instruction manual it would just say "Enjoy yourself and don't be a ding dong."

The real beauty of the lack of struggle in everyday life now is the ability to "choose your own adventure". Much of my early years were spent chasing tail, when my wife and I settled I spent my spare time furthering my knowledge and reading. Now I just spend time with my son doing whatever the fudge his 4 year old mind wants to do today. This morning that was going out into the garden with no shoes on and having a lightsaber fight.

My point is that there is no point. No reason, no purpose, no one thing that we have to do. Life just is. Understand that, enjoy yourself and don't be a ding dong - the rest is easy.

I personally agree with a lot of what your saying. Though I do think we can create our own purpose.

You've seemingly found a good way for yourself to navigate the modern world. I'm not at all saying that there aren't good ways available. I'm convinced that there are many. But the problems I point out are at a societal/cultural level. In short the good ways to navigate the world aren't being communicated effectively to young people. Or others looking, perhaps without knowing what they're looking for. We're not even teaching people to ask the right questions.

You call it a stupid tax, but for me it has little or nothing to do with intelligence. And research clearly shows that mental illnesses are quite equally distributed among intelligence levels. It's not that people are incapable of grasping these concepts.

Just as a quick example we're (in general as a society) absolutely terrible at teaching people about feelings/emotions. I think that is a common thread linking many of the above issues.

You call it a stupid tax, but for me it has little or nothing to do with intelligence. And research clearly shows that mental illnesses are quite equally distributed among intelligence levels. It's not that people are incapable of grasping these concepts
I wasn't suggesting that mental health and intelligence are linked, just that wanting to be famous and stupidity are.

For the last generation it was the national lottery, before that the pools. It's just a way out for those who want to take a short cut.

I wasn't suggesting that mental health and intelligence are linked, just that wanting to be famous and stupidity are.

For the last generation it was the national lottery, before that the pools. It's just a way out for those who want to take a short cut.
Did you listen to the What is technology doing to us episode of the Sam Harris podcast?

I think you might be underestimating just how much people are influenced by both technology and cultural changes. That's not limited to any level of intelligence. This we know very well from the sceptical movement too of course.

Did you listen to the What is technology doing to us episode of the Sam Harris podcast?

I think you might be underestimating just how much people are influenced by both technology and cultural changes. That's not limited to any level of intelligence. This we know very well from the sceptical movement too of course.
BE and @scaramanga
Take this to the politics thread please guys. Cheers.

I was watching Louis CK the other night, and there's a bit where he's saying that he likes life just enough to not kill himself, with a razor thin margin. I laughed but I agreed really, I think that sums it up for me. I think I'm depressed but it waves up and down and before I do anything about it, like speak to someone, it just sort of drifts off for a bit and I trudge along. Is this just normal?

I was watching Louis CK the other night, and there's a bit where he's saying that he likes life just enough to not kill himself, with a razor thin margin. I laughed but I agreed really, I think that sums it up for me. I think I'm depressed but it waves up and down and before I do anything about it, like speak to someone, it just sort of drifts off for a bit and I trudge along. Is this just normal?
Yes largely for me, having kids helps and drinking less. Pre family pretty much spot on

Sums it up really well, life may stink some times ( and it does) but the alternative is even worse. Having been through bad times (as i have written earlier) we/us have to have a way to deal with it, some may laugh/disagree with me when i say this, the first thing i do when i wake is say " hello cruel world" and the last thing i say before going to sleep is " fudge you cruel world" as i have won another day.

Hah, definitely normal (if I'm anything to go by). I feel like I've been going like this since my illusion about adulthood sort of crashed way back when I got my first job. :p

I think it is kind of normal. When we get to January the 1st I am usually suffering from the New Year blues. Does not help that we live in a grey depressing country, but at the start of the year I fill out the Calendar we have in the Kitchen listing the events or holidays we are going to do in the year and then I live for that.

I did this even as a younger man when I did not have much money, but the is always something to look forward to and enjoy in life and often it does not have to involve money. Can be as simple as getting the family together for a barbecue of a long cycle ride in the countryside.

Focus on the good times and the good memories and they will get you through the bad times. I got a diagnosis in November that rocked me though it explained things. Since then I have been up and down and have had to work hard to control my thoughts and moods. But the good memories the promise of a few more to be made and the example I want to set to my son keep me going despite feeling pretty low at times.

Life is a struggle but it sure bets the alternative.

I resigned from my work today. I was meant to do it tomorrow in a more dignified way but my sort of boss made me do it today.

I am looking to work locally so I can be closer to the Mrs and kid when he is born. I've not been happy for ages at my work and I'm a broker that has a cool job but is never paid enough(obviously).

I've decided to jack in the lunches and drinking to have a safer 9 to 5 job locally but working in the same industry.

It's a choice I've made for many reasons.

1) drinking. We know I have problems with this (I'm drinking now)

2) anxiety - what I do is such a stressful
Job it will now be less stressful

3) life - I want to enjoy life and be closer to my family.

I'm up and down bit I know I've made the right decision. I wanted to resign tomorrow but my sort of boss was being a knob today and pulled me up on something so I jusat said "fcuk
It, I have something to show you, can you give ten minutes?"went away and signed my resignation letter.

I have said I want to leave on good terms and it's gone down ok but I'm up and down today.

The Manchester thing has hurt me this week and I want to get away from London and family is so precious to me right now. But ths is a path that I have chosen and I'm thinking is it right for me now?

I resigned from my work today. I was meant to do it tomorrow in a more dignified way but my sort of boss made me do it today.

I am looking to work locally so I can be closer to the Mrs and kid when he is born. I've not been happy for ages at my work and I'm a broker that has a cool job but is never paid enough(obviously).

I've decided to jack in the lunches and drinking to have a safer 9 to 5 job locally but working in the same industry.

I'm up and down bit I know I've made the right decision. I wanted to resign tomorrow but my sort of boss was being a knob today and pulled me up on something so I jusat said "fcuk
It, I have something to show you, can you give ten minutes?"went away and signed my resignation letter.

I have said I want to leave on good terms and it's gone down ok but I'm up and down today.

The Manchester thing has hurt me this week and I want to get away from London and family is so precious to me right now. But ths is a path that I have chosen and I'm thinking is it right for me now?
Yes. Good luck.

Although you missed the opportunity to resign 'Office Space' style!

Yes it is right and something you needed to do by all accounts, always remember mate " tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life" so make the most of it.

Good luck pal.

I would say yes your doing the right thing buddy. Your doing it for your health and it will improve your life. Word of caution do not expect things to be magically suddenly better because then you might be setting yourself up for a fall if the depression comes back. I do not think depression is something that ever fully goes away(do not want to alarm you) but what you can do is try to control it and limit its effect on you.

You are making a concerted effort to change things in your life and I am sure you will see an improvement but I do not want you to get to fatalistic if things do not get better straight away. I think it is about being aware of the possible changes.

My own condition I have good and bad days, I have improved my diet and work out a lot which stops some of the symptoms and allegedly holds back the disease. But of course the mood swing and rage still come. Thing is to be aware of it, I treat it like an annoying relative and when my blood is rising I say "oh your back again are you, well you wont beat me, I wont create, I will control you"

I appreciate a lot of people might think talking to yourself is a sign of madness but having an inner dialogue with yourself is a good tool for coping with depression. Does remind me of the end of Psycho where he is sat in the jail cell talking to himself though.

Thanks guys, everyone that ive told has said its the right decision. Those that would have said its not, I would have told to go fcuk themselves but would have had that doubt. I don't need recognition but at the same time I do I guess.

DanishFl you are so right. I know it will come back and it does and I know this isn't a quick fix but its along the lines of the fix. I wont be entirely happy but I do know I will be happier and I have to give it a go.

I may miss my old life and London as I do literally have so much freedom (but both my bosses knew it wasn't going to last) so I think I have got out at the right time.

I can also reinvent myself at this new place and be a more maturer me (who maybe fudges up and is a kid sometimes) but a more diluted me.

Lets see how this goes.

Thanks again guys.

GGG

Back