• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Do we have the right blend of players at Spurs right now to challenge for top 4?

mattls

Stephane Dalmat
I wanted to touch on the blend of players we have right now.. Was at the game last night and i thought there was positives mainly in our wing play and the defence as Caulker and Vertonghan hadn't played much before but Lazio rarely pressurised us apart from when they hit the bar. Didnt think Dempsey did much, still not sure long term if he'll turn out to be a good signing or just a last minute panic buy from Levy.

The problem i see at the moment is we dont have the right blend of players in midfield. I think Dembele is a great buy but neither he or Sandro can spot a pass like Modric or VDV used to do and last night Defoe had nothing to feed off. Playing the current system i'm concerned we wont score enough goals this season as we've struggled so far apart form when we played a poor Reading side. I'm hopeful Mourthino will come in Jan though and fill this void.

I wonder at the moment if we should try playing 4-4-2 and playing 2 upfront at least at home to give us more threat as in the 3 games ive seen this season we're not making as many chances we have done in previous seasons.

I think Levy should take some blame here on the blend of players we acquired in the last window as we all knew Modric was leaving and he should have signed Mourthino immediately to supply the bullets instead of haggling. Also, the other priority for me was another striker to compete with Defoe and Ade and nothing happened there and we ended up with Dempsey. Let's hope we can stay in and around the top 6 til jan and then hopefully bring in a few to give us a better blend.

I actually think Huddlestone and Dembele would make a nice CM partnership, at least in hime games against weaker opposition. It would mean Sandro missing out, but it would give us a nice attacking balance in central midfield and enough defensive robustness in games where we're likely to dominate possession IMO.

I'm not sure you can blame Levy for not getting a Modric replacement. There's only a handful of Modric replacements in the world and most of them are already at clubs with more money/success than us.

As for not creating chances, I think you need to look at the season as a whole. So far this season, most teams we've played (bar Saudi Sportswashing Machine) seemed entirely content with a draw against us. We've (IMO) created more chances against this type of team that refuses to give us space than we did last season. Your view is probably skewed by those matches where teams gave us space in behind and we could set Lennon/Bale off every time we won the ball - there will be teams that let us do that, but not many.

I actually think Huddlestone and Dembele would make a nice CM partnership, at least in hime games against weaker opposition. It would mean Sandro missing out, but it would give us a nice attacking balance in central midfield and enough defensive robustness in games where we're likely to dominate possession IMO.

If we could manage it without isolating Defoe or Ade then Hudd/Sandro/Dembele gives us a nice combination of creativity, solidity and ball retention. Lennon/Bale would need to help out up front though.

I think we've got a very strong current squad - 24 full internationals at the moment - and plenty of talented youngsters waiting for their chances to step-up.

In fact, I think that overall, our squad is probably one of the strongest in the Premier League and it should be well capable of finishing in the Top Four.

If we could manage it without isolating Defoe or Ade then Hudd/Sandro/Dembele gives us a nice combination of creativity, solidity and ball retention. Lennon/Bale would need to help out up front though.

Cant see there being enough goals in that formation. One of the main (or only) criticism which Fulham fans had of Dembele was that his finishing was poor. Thudd and Sandro wont get many and Lennon is only a 5-10 goal per season man

Think the last couple games have been quite promising in terms of our progression however the lack of goals is the main concern. Its not been helped by Siggy being very poor so far and therefore us lacking support to Defoe and almost only playing with 10.5 men. Will be interesting to see how the Dempsey v Siggy battle plays out for that position off the CF. Dempsey last night looked like he was still getting used to his team mates and settling in so am still expecting GS to start on Sun

My first live game of the season and I am very optimistic. I thought we were very strong in midfield, physically much stronger than we have been. If I were to criticise Modric at all it would be his inability to step up against physically stronger opponents. Chelsea in the FA Cup is a prime example, a game where our main midfielder was lost for large swathes of the game. I am not saying Dembele is a better player of course, but the strength of the Sandro/Dembele axis is there for all to see. This could be the foundation for a very strong season.

My first live game of the season and I am very optimistic. I thought we were very strong in midfield, physically much stronger than we have been. If I were to criticise Modric at all it would be his inability to step up against physically stronger opponents. Chelsea in the FA Cup is a prime example, a game where our main midfielder was lost for large swathes of the game. I am not saying Dembele is a better player of course, but the strength of the Sandro/Dembele axis is there for all to see. This could be the foundation for a very strong season.

This is what has impressed me in the last two games. Shoulder against Shoulder we always come out on top. I think its all about Sandro, Dembele and Vertonghen being very strong.

It will be difficult but not impossible. We are still very good. Modric and VdV are about as good a calibre of player that we have had at our club in an awful long time. But we will need a bit of luck for sure to get it, but I think it's right to be strongly aiming for top 4 and be pretty dam disappointed if we miss out again.

This is what has impressed me in the last two games. Shoulder against Shoulder we always come out on top. I think its all about Sandro, Dembele and Vertonghen being very strong.

You notice how hungry Dembele is for the ball, occasionally the ball gets away with him but he almost always comes away with it after a 50/50.

You notice how hungry Dembele is for the ball, occasionally the ball gets away with him but he almost always comes away with it after a 50/50.

Do you guys think there's an argument for playing Sandro and Hudd together and Dembele further forward behind Defoe in some games as someone else suggested or stick with Siguardsson?

I think there's a massive responsibility on Siguardsson's shoulders now as he's now the fulcrum between midfield and striker. He's played this role for quite a few games now and in pre-season so we need to see more goals from him now. He works really hard but i'm still not sure of his first touch.

I was hoping Hudd would get more game time so that loan move til Jan might have done him a world of good because he may only play in League and Europa cup.

I'm not sure you can blame Levy for not getting a Modric replacement. There's only a handful of Modric replacements in the world and most of them are already at clubs with more money/success than us.

As for not creating chances, I think you need to look at the season as a whole. So far this season, most teams we've played (bar Saudi Sportswashing Machine) seemed entirely content with a draw against us. We've (IMO) created more chances against this type of team that refuses to give us space than we did last season. Your view is probably skewed by those matches where teams gave us space in behind and we could set Lennon/Bale off every time we won the ball - there will be teams that let us do that, but not many.

Like the match-practise-starved Reading side we tore apart at the weekend for example.

Do you guys think there's an argument for playing Sandro and Hudd together and Dembele further forward behind Defoe in some games as someone else suggested or stick with Siguardsson?

Definitely not! We cant have Sandro, Dembele and Thudd in the same team if the 3 forwards/wingers are Defoe, Bale and Lennon as there wouldnt be enough goal thraet in the team. Again, Fulham's fans main criticism of Dembele was that he was a poor finisher. If we're going to leave out Siggurdsson then we should play Dempsey - he gets goals and is hard working so can play AVB's pressing game

I think when Ade is back in the line up, we should be able to get more out of Gylfi and Dempsey..
Defoe is all about getting a shot away or trying to get behind the back 4 where Ade will have the strength and unselfishness to bring others like Gylfi/Dempsey into the game. I'm especially thinking about chances in and around the D where Defoe is not gonna offer much in terms of assists as once he gets that close to goal it's all about him. Not always a bad thing just doesnt offer others much to feed off so to speak.

All we are missing is a world class, or at least complete, centre forward. Every team that has challenged for the title has had a world class forward. I cant remember any team having prolonged success without a top class forward - we are a prime example. We have shown odds and sods but imho the real reason we are not in the top 4 and havnt challenged for the title is we havnt spent the 20/30 million needed.

Other than that i feel we are just a good as most other squads in Europe.

I think when Ade is back in the line up, we should be able to get more out of Gylfi and Dempsey..
Defoe is all about getting a shot away or trying to get behind the back 4 where Ade will have the strength and unselfishness to bring others like Gylfi/Dempsey into the game. I'm especially thinking about chances in and around the D where Defoe is not gonna offer much in terms of assists as once he gets that close to goal it's all about him. Not always a bad thing just doesnt offer others much to feed off so to speak.

I wouldn't say that that was always true, just think of his through ball to Lennon last night. I do think Defoe has the goal hungry attitude but he isn't completely selfish.

I think we have a good mix of players with different qualities. Certainly no massive imbalances in the squad as far as I can see.

If we're good enough to get top 4 is a difference question and perhaps more down to the quality of players, fact is that Chelsea have signed some very good (and very expensive) players this summer. It's difficult to stay ahead of a team that can just do that when we have a limited budget.

I too want to see Hudd and Dembele together in the centre, would be exciting going forward at least.

I still don't think we have the right striker. Short and sweet, I don't think Ade or Defoe is the player we are looking for with out set up.

Oh to have a Batistuta.

Agree with the general view that with our best players on the pitch we lack enough goals, we have a deeper squad no doubt this year though.

Now if Bale, and especially Lennon, could anti-up with goals we could be set for a real challenge on the top4, unfortunately I see us 10-12 points short at least (unless Arse have a slump).

Back