• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Disney world Florida

I have never read any of his books but I am guessing Ernest Hemingways place is some where to get to. We got told by our waiters that key west was like a different country to Orlando.

The is a lot of America I would like to see, New Orleans sounds like my sort of place, I really wanted to do a trip down the west coast because after watching the cycle tour of California it looked amazing, the big sur all the national parks. America comes in for a lot of criticism at times, but I think it is pretty great.

Key West has a more caribbean/european feel than the rest of Florida. The bar Hemingway used is smaller than you expect. The sunset at the quay is spectacular and there are all sorts of street performs doing there thing. I stayed at Islamorada on the Keys and there are some fantastic big fish trips you can do with local fishermen, I did it in the 80's it cost about $40 which was about £25.

I have never read any of his books but I am guessing Ernest Hemingways place is some where to get to. We got told by our waiters that key west was like a different country to Orlando.

The is a lot of America I would like to see, New Orleans sounds like my sort of place, I really wanted to do a trip down the west coast because after watching the cycle tour of California it looked amazing, the big sur all the national parks. America comes in for a lot of criticism at times, but I think it is pretty great.

Key West has a more caribbean/european feel than the rest of Florida. The bar Hemingway used is smaller than you expect. The sunset at the quay is spectacular and there are all sorts of street performs doing their thing. I stayed at Islamorada on the Keys and there are some fantastic big fish trips you can do with local fishermen, I did it in the 80's it cost about $40 which was about £25.

Last edited:
I like America and the attitudes of Americans, apart from your main sports being pointless and stupid I think you have a great country. Would love to do some cycling round some of the national parks.

I'm as British as you mate, been here 12 years. Yes. American sports are pointless and some of the folk are very pleasant but dim. The 'can do' attitude is great and geographically the country is amazing.

Having been lucky enough to have worked and live in the States for a few years i will say this. Its a great country and so diverse ( part of me wishes i would have been born there because as a traveller i would have enjoyed moving from state to state), there are some great people ( who i still keep in touch with) and i love the " can i do it brick yes" attitude that a lot of them have.

Of course they are idiots but they are some in all countries, the problem is that the guys who get to run the place are usually war mongering megalomaniacs (sp?).

Like lots of kids I read "Of mice and Men" at school and it got me hooked on John Steinbeck, I've read all his books and one of my favourites is "Travels with Charley" his tale of his 10,000 mile road trip around the States in a camper van with his dog Charly. He did It in the early 60's and it must have been a lot different than it is now. It has always been my dream to take such a journey, but it will be unfulfilled.

Only place in the world where you can be offered 'extra' cheese on a triple cheese toasty.......I had to didn't I.
On my first trip there I put on a stone in 4 weeks and the food was terrible........lol

Only place in the world where you can be offered 'extra' cheese on a triple cheese toasty.......I had to didn't I.
On my first trip there I put on a stone in 4 weeks and the food was terrible........lol

Being a meat a two veg man I couldn't get my head round being given my steak with either strawberries or slices of orange on the plate. Can't remember ever seeing any green vegetables other than lettuce or zucchini on a menu.

Being a meat a two veg man I couldn't get my head round being given my steak with either strawberries or slices of orange on the plate. Can't remember ever seeing any green vegetables other than lettuce or zucchini on a menu.

The only vegetables around are among those eating the steaks!

Norwegian air are very good and only fly Dreamliners to Florida so you're guaranteed a decent(ish) experience.

They have very, very few premium seats and no 1st class though so you have to book way in advance

I just paid $550 to Gatwick and back in November, what's that about 400 quid? Bargain

I'm going next August. You need to plan it all well in advance to get the best out of it, you can't just rock up at the time so easily, I don't think.

Well there you go. All meals etc are now booked at the restaurant. Family member wanted to book a table at one of the restaurants for a specific date (August 25th), and nothing left.

Booked our villa last night. It's expensive, but way better value than the 1 bed rooms that you get on-site. And it's about 2 miles outside of the park, so not a big deal at all as far as I am concerned...

Well there you go. All meals etc are now booked at the restaurant. Family member wanted to book a table at one of the restaurants for a specific date (August 25th), and nothing left.

Booked our villa last night. It's expensive, but way better value than the 1 bed rooms that you get on-site. And it's about 2 miles outside of the park, so not a big deal at all as far as I am concerned...

I'm so envious, you'll have a great time. The 2 miles from Disney sounds good but it's about a 5 mile drive till you park.

Just back...
What an awesome holiday. Hot, exhausting, frustrating, tiring as fudge, with three young (5, 7 and 9 years) children. But such an amazing time overall. Would love to go back again a) when the kids are older or b) without the kids at all! We went inside school holidays, and not penny pinching etc - All in came to around £20k. Won't be doing it again in a hurry, but would love to go back on a lesser budget! Ridiculously busy and overly expensive, but so awesome... So much to see and do it's ridiculous. And we only really did Disney World and Universal/Islands of Adventure.

Tip: If you go to Universal and are thinking of getting the Express passes in school holidays, do it. But don't just get a day pass - look into the cost of staying at the hotel onsite for the night. You get an express pass for the day you arrive, AND the day you leave, as well as an hour early access to the park in the morning. And it cost us LESS to do that than just get the express pass for one day! Turn up early (can't check in to the room til the afternoon but can get your express pass from the hotel early - we got ours around 8.30am).

£20K!:eek:

I felt 9K was expensive back '98 when I took our 2.

Loved it, some good memories and I put a stone on:oops:

Me and my girlfriend are going in just over 2 weeks. I've been quite a few times but still really excited! I think it will always be my favourite holiday destination in the world.

We have booked all of our park tickets months ago and from the looks of it, we have saved a lot of money as the prices have risen since we booked. Can't wait to go to Universal's new water park 'Volcano Bay'.

Back