• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I think we need to take the poster into context when it comes to anyone really believing Alli is poor.

Last season was a step back in terms of productivity which was due to him playing deeper and losing rhythm with the injuries.

Let’s get him back fit and we will see him operating back in the attacking areas of the pitch, I believe he will benefit from the competition for places too. Even if he plateaus now he will still be a top player but I think he has another level or two that he is capable of reaching. As goal scoring midfielders who get close to the striker go he is more than capable of bettering Scholes stats and posting Lampard style numbers at club level. Unfortunately England don’t use him properly which doesn’t take advantage of his partnership with Kane

I think some people just repeat what they hear.

2 seasons ago he managed 31 goal/assists with plenty of game time back in midfield. Can you imagine any other 21 year old AM doing that? Imagine calling that poor.

Last season he played deeper more often (tactically relied upon by Poch to do the graft) and with injuries and on the back of the World Cup. Still he managed 15 goals/assists in 38 appearances. James Maddison by comparison managed 14 in 38, and is regarded by some as having a great season. Admittedly not the same type of player but last season you could argue Dele played deeper at times.

Honestly will never understand some people when it comes to Dele.

Right there with you.

end of last season, you could say he was poor but you have to include everyone else.

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think certain players were worse than others. I wouldn’t say that Alli has progressed in the last couple of seasons. I think he’s going to have to fight for his place for both Spurs and England unless he gets back to the form he showed in his first two seasons with us. I was quite vocal about my feelings towards the lineup for the final in June and would have started Moura over Alli as I don’t think his form warranted a place in the starting lineup.

The only players in the team from an attacking sense who should be almost unstoppable are Son and Kane. Everyone else should be fighting for the other positions. I’d like to see Poch be more ruthless when it comes to players like Alli. We’ve seen how ruthless he is with the centre halves, no reason why it shouldn’t be the same for anyone else.

Ali's role did change last season has heee was evidently used deeper more often than previously. He was however not particularly good in that role, which is the crux of the critiques. If he were excelling deeper or playing as well as he had when pushed further forward than then there would no criticism.

For me he's a decent player while playing deeper but certainly not one that 2a2222w2222s22222 deserves a starting berth or even someone that I would desire in that role if playing for another team.

If he can combine the two roles

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

He took one for the team last season ( because of all our injurys) and played most of the season in a position that does not really show him at his best and because of it has taken a lot of unfair slagging ( imo) from some fans.

Lets hope that with our new signings and less injurys ( then last season) he can once again return to his best.

He took one for the team last season ( because of all our injurys) and played most of the season in a position that does not really show him at his best and because of it has taken a lot of unfair slagging ( imo) from some fans.

His stats for the position were good, the criticism was largely because people were judging him against his goal and assist haul from further forwards.

Still posting some fairly high numbers on the other model too though.

Only really pass %, touches in box and cross %. None of them IMO a particularly good indicator of quality of performance in the final third (especially the last one).

It could just be that his stats suffer from being caught between his more attacking and more defensive games, so I wouldn’t use them to beat him with. But I don’t think yours /Milo’s original suggestion that his stats for a CM were good isn’t true.

Last edited:
Only really pass %, touches in box and cross %. None of them IMO a particularly good indicator of quality of performance in the final third (especially the last one).

It could just be that his stats suffer from being caught between his more attacking and more defensive games, so I wouldn’t use them to beat him with. But I don’t think yours /Milo’s original suggestion that his stats for a CM were good is true.
He is basically decent as a CM, he still has good numbers in terms of attack relative to other CMs but I would posit that as a pure CM he is basically average and nothing more.

Be absolutely crazy to start him against the Scum

Poch is going to have a bitch of decision to make

- Risk Dele and N'dombele? play Jan (with no match fitness now) and Eriksen? or risk a thrashing from the Scum and a downward spiral?

Be absolutely crazy to start him against the Scum

Poch is going to have a bitch of decision to make

- Risk Dele and N'dombele? play Jan (with no match fitness now) and Eriksen? or risk a thrashing from the Scum and a downward spiral?

One of Dele’s biggest strengths is his defending from the front. I’d say if he was fit, Poch would be desperate to get him in against Arse. He’ll prob be looking for some sort of diamond with Dele behind Son and Kane.

Those stats don’t look particularly good to me? Only really pressures and pressure regains above average.
It basically says he can do a job in CM which he can. But we need him further up as he is a runner and his biggest strength is assisting from dangerous areas and ghosting into the box to score....

Does Alli need to re-group. Stop thinking he's the ready made real deal, and get back into the mindset of being an up and coming talent who needs to prove himself? It's like he wants to showboat, when he's not good enough yet, and really he needs to graft and prove himself afresh. He has the touches but its not coming together for him at the moment.

Dilly Dele.

He always seems to think he has 10 minutes to decide what he wants to do with the ball.

Back