• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I think that what makes Alli great at times is also what makes him poor at times. He is a kind of anti-Jenas, he can try things because he isn't afraid that it won't come through, whereas Jenas had the technical ability but not the calmness. An Alli on note is perhaps the league's most exciting player, and it's pretty obvious that he grew up watching Ronaldinho more than Scott Parker (where the opposite might be true for Winks - joke). There is a reason behind why Alli was chosen to feature in Fifa 18's admittedly horrible story mode. He can be bang on wasteful and ineffective, and might be a borderline luxury player, but he is the sort of player you don't dare to leave out because he can do some unbelievable stuff.

He's never a luxury player because he works so hard. He does try high risk moves. People moan about breaking down deep set teams and then moan about Dele trying something that doesn't come off, you can't have it both ways.

People moan about breaking down deep set teams and then moan about Dele trying something that doesn't come off, you can't have it both ways.
Now that's kind of a reach, at least from where I stand, I don't think a single player have been criticised for trying fancy flicks or high risk moves through a deep set defence. It's the sometimes unnecessary fancy things in the buildup phase where a simple pass will do just fine I'm referring to (personally, I can't speak for everyone). By luxury, I mean that this is things you can do when you're clearly ahead, not at 0-1 down against Arsenal (just an example). A turnover is a turnover, even if it's fancy looking. Everything doesn't have to be YouTube worthy.

I mean, I absolutely love Alli, in a manly heterosexual footballing way, but I can certainly see where some of the criticism is coming from.

I mean, I absolutely love Alli, in a manly heterosexual footballing way, but I can certainly see where some of the criticism is coming from.

So can I, he's been a little off form but it is easy to see why when you consider how disrupted last season was for him. What I find harder to understand is people who cannot get that form fluctuates and he'll be back at the top of his game soon.

Thought he looked back to his best today, running in from behind the main striker is what he is best at and was unlucky not to score on two occasions. Last season ( because of injurys to other players) he had to play deeper and its not when you will see him at his best.

I was expecting to come in to more comments like this. He looked more like the old Dele, which isn't suprising given that we switched back to the 4231 with him in his favoured role. He could've easily got two goals and if not for some great goalkeeping, there'd be a lot of praise in here.

So can I, he's been a little off form but it is easy to see why when you consider how disrupted last season was for him. What I find harder to understand is people who cannot get that form fluctuates and he'll be back at the top of his game soon.
Nothing (ok, not many things at least) would make me more happy than seeing him back in top form. He can bring things to the table that very few others can, and no matter what anyone feels about his consistency, no one can deny that he's a very exciting player. One thing though, you mentioned that he works hard. Well, so does everybody else too, I don't think we've had a lazy player since Adebayor. Even if we haven't gotten the movement of the spectacular 16-17 season back, we're still a very atlethic team.

Criticism where its due, everyone else plays like they actually care regardless of how poor their performance is. Alli plays like he is in the park with mates and it doesn't matter if his unnecessary flicks work or not.

Other fans have been saying for a while that he is 1 of the most overrated players in the prem and i am starting to believe them. I will hold my hands up at the end of the season if he proves me wrong but i cannot see that happening.

Hope your arms are strong.

Sorry, I think some of the criticism is blind hysteria. I will absolutely be back here to see who has the courage to admit it. As for all this "flicks and tricks" business, you should look at all the other work Dele does besides make excellent runs like he did today when in his strongest position. It makes me laugh that some people waffle on about Dybala, a luxury if EVER I saw one. He isn't fit to wear Dele's warm-up top IMO.

Thought he looked back to his best today, running in from behind the main striker is what he is best at and was unlucky not to score on two occasions. Last season ( because of injurys to other players) he had to play deeper and its not when you will see him at his best.

He did look sharper, as did Kane. I would like to see Alli deliver greater accuracy in the final third this season. Too often passes didn't stick and shots that a top player would score from (see today's volley) he doesn't always convert. Needs to get clinical in the final third to become a great.

Sorry, I think some of the criticism is blind hysteria. I will absolutely be back here to see who has the courage to admit it. As for all this "flicks and tricks" business, you should look at all the other work Dele does besides make excellent runs like he did today when in his strongest position. It makes me laugh that some people waffle on about Dybala, a luxury if EVER I saw one. He isn't fit to wear Dele's warm-up top IMO.

Right on, man.

"Other clubs fans" think he is over-rated because the role he is playing the last year or so doesn't grab the attention on MoTD that his goalscoring second striker role did previously - he's actually dug in and done a job for the team, sacrificing the headline star-of-the-team position for a more mature deeper role and gets called out for being flash and not taking things seriously.

I thought he was excellent last season, and a massive part in why we did as well as we did (or, alternatively, why we didnt do as badly as we probably should have!).

One good thing Ali always does is pick the ball up on the move. His 1st touch usually moves him to a better position, which helps make space for others.

I think his recent lack of goals makes it easy to underrate his overall benefit to the team.

He's a good player, didn't think he was that great yesterday (but was primarily playing with B squad), said it earlier in thread, big season ahead for him and his career.

I think Alli was ok to good last season. Nothing more, he certainly wasn’t bad. If we’re being truly honest, can we say he’s a better player than he was two seasons ago? Is he a better passer? Finisher? More intelligent? Better at decision making?

In his defense, we didn’t play to his strengths last season. I think ultimately he needs to improve his decision making. That doesn’t mean completely curb his style of play and stifle him but learning when there is a time and a place to keep a simple and play the simple pass and play it early. Learning when to attempt step overs for example.

I think he is a vastly improved player on two seasons ago.

He really shouldered the burden of holding Englands midfield together, then spent a season covering all the gaps in ours. He made an outstanding team effort last year, and really displayed his intelligence on the field. He was basically always where he needed to be.

I liken it to the season King spent at CM, when he went back to CB he was a much better player.

I think Alli has developed massively this last year and learnt a huge amount. Personally Id tap him to have a hell of a season this year, better than ever.

Seriously? You don't think that each and every Spurs fan wants Alli to do well? And blind hysteria, no less. I take it that this at least partially was aimed at my comments, and I had no problem with, no actually, I love it if something turns out better than I expect (and I haven't even expected him to do badly, and is why I always go into a new season slightly and carefully pessimistic). I and several others have held our arms in the air to the point of dislocation regarding Sissoko, why wouldn't we, and few can deny that he was utter garbage for 2 seasons before having a great one. Just the same way some have graciously admitted to being wrong for "strongly implicating" that others are lesser and know-nothing fans for doubting we'd bring in players as the previous transfer windows drew to an end. Or that the stadium would be finished on time. Or next-Vieira dogsh*t Bentaleb. And what's with the "work" obsession, there are no Spurs players anymore who doesn't put in work, and works hard at that. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't play under Poch. If I was to name a player who puts in A LOT of work, tries to do things, who IS direct, and still gets criticised by several if not everything comes off, it's Son, far ahead of Alli. "Streaky" especially comes to mind, as if he's the only form player on the team. What I have noticed, if players like Son (or Trippier) did 10 things well and 3 things poor, they would more often than not get judged on the 3 things they did poorly. While others, who should remain unnamed, could do 3 things well and 10 things poorly and the same people will judge them on the 3 things they did well. He runs a lot. He TRIES. He occupies important spaces otherwise taken by an opposition player. Or a seagull. Exception being Wanyama who due to lack of fitness and sharpness ultimately fell so far behind in terms of performance that not even close family members could defend it. And if Player X does well in a preseason game, every criticism ever forwarded towards that player is rebutted. While if he plays poorly, it's only a preseason from which nothing can be assessed. This is an example (hyperbolic as it may be) where I actually would find the use of the word "blind" appropriate.

Now, I don't mean to call you as a dedicated fan nor your reply out specifically, not even this thread, but you are a mod, and I for one find the tone in such posts where you "laugh" at us ill-informed peasants, a bit detrimental to a good light-hearted discussion, which is what a good forum should be all about - at least in my view. You shouldn't need to swear you allegiance on the Bible of Hotspur or need to point out every time that even if a player has a few flaws, you still like him and don't want him neither sold or shot. Wanting to man-carry his child for 15 likes doth not a better fan thy maketh. In fact, from where I see it we have a likeable squad of players that I can't remember us ever having before, where no one grinds my gears. Perhaps I'm getting old and mellow. But if anyone denies that Alli has potiential to do much better, and we all want him to do that, they haven't been paying attention last season. I merely want the 23-year old seasoned Alli to play smarter than the breakthrough 20-year old Alli. If he chooses the simple solution over the tricky ones more than he does today, all is good in my book. Got to say, this board was a lot lighter, and dare I say funnier, when we were trash. But there is a huge amount of insight amongst the posters here, and we all want Spurs winning the treble, the Olympics and the World Series while having different views on how to achieve that. This is what makes discussing football interesting. As long as one puts reasoning behind arguments and doesn't blow off opinions as mere opinions while offering nothing more than opinions, at least I'm all good to go. Nobody has "The Facts", there is no right or wrong solution here.

So let's all just hug and be friends, ok? :)

Back