• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

We needed to take a few more risks, especially early on, with quick ball in to Son/Moura but instead too often took the safe option all the time, by which time we could forget any through-ball coming off. I put that down to a heightened fear of losing possession and being open on the counter, only having Dier there screening, as opposed to Sissoko. It seemed to grow into a bigger obstacle as the game wore on and tiredness became even more of an issue. Eventually, we just looked out of ideas.

Bringing on Llorente always feels like a last throw of the dice, but we hardly ever seem to play to his one strength, either. Instead of getting him, Dier and Alderweireld up there and playing for set pieces, we still seem to be trying to thread it pointlessly through to him. By the time he's sent a message to his feet to move, the ball's been smuggled away.

Last edited:
Agree, thought we looked good early on. For some reason, Son seemed to get shunted out wide and got less of the ball. His touch also seemed off all game.

Thought Moura was unfortunate to be hooked too and him playing up top as the focal point never works. He's better playing slightly deeper. I must say though, for a small man, he has some leap.

Personally, I thought Poch got the last third of the pitch all wrong on Saturday after an encouraging start.

For me there is a common denominator. When Llorente comes on, defending sides just squeeze further up the field and we lose our out ball. Look at Saturday, Llorente on for Moura, and Son moved out wide. In one fail swoop we lost 2 threatening shoulder players, and never really caused another threat until the last 5 minutes.

It also completely negates Eriksen for the above 2 reasons (no space, no out ball).

Tomorrow I too would like to see Dele up with Moura and Eriksen in behind. At least then we have 2 players that can hurt Ajax and they will know that.

I would play him false 9 Tuesday with Moura off him...Wanyama and Dier deep...Tripps and Davies...Rose Eriksen Moura behind Dele...
I thought the same thing last week, but now I am not so sure anymore. I think we need Dele to do a Jorginho job on De Jong, and I don't think he can do that from a false nine position. Like Milo said in the Ajax thread, I would be happy with a 0-0 at home given our injuries. In Amsterdam, with Son and Sissoko available, I would back us to get a draw at least.

Alli quick becoming a luxury player. Just buy his Ajax counterpart for competition. Favourites has its disadvantages.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I think we should be in for Van de Beek - I think he may well be Ajax' best player considering his reading of the game at age 22. But I would never have him over Dele. Imagine both of them on one midfield, defences will not know who to cover.

I'm not sure I buy all this not fit business, he got the injury against Fulham which was a while back now so should be recovered, it also gave him a few weeks off mid season and he's young with good athleticism and energy. Fair enough he has the fractured arm which can make you tentative but he's always been a little streaky and it's not uncommon for him to ghost through/be anonymous in games and unfortunately he's been doing that too much this season.

It's a skill off his that he often plays street style football but when the little flicks and things aren't coming off he tends not to influence games so much. I expect him to become more consistent as he matures but we'll have to put up with it for now, I do think he misses Demble or someone like him who can dribble and draw players out of position.

I think he misses Kane. Once, very early in the first half, there was a pass on for Llorente to Alli that he did not see/take - one that Kane certainly would have seen. Llorente is too predictable, meaning that defences can keep more of an eye on Alli than they can when Kane plays. I don't think Dele had a bad game, not a very good one either of course. But he can still do a job for us in Amsterdam (and against Bournemouth too).

I think he misses Kane. Once, very early in the first half, there was a pass on for Llorente to Alli that he did not see/take - one that Kane certainly would have seen. Llorente is too predictable, meaning that defences can keep more of an eye on Alli than they can when Kane plays. I don't think Dele had a bad game, not a very good one either of course. But he can still do a job for us in Amsterdam (and against Bournemouth too).
I think it takes a lot of adjustment to play with different formations around you. Kane and Son make such intelligent runs that drag defenders out of position to give someone like Dele not only a passing option but space to move into. Lamp post doesn’t really offer that so our attacking play has to adjust.

The frustration is that Dele is a game changer and today he didn’t change the game. He had that shot that went straight at the ‘keeper, which on a different day....

I'm not sure I buy all this not fit business, he got the injury against Fulham which was a while back now so should be recovered, it also gave him a few weeks off mid season and he's young with good athleticism and energy. Fair enough he has the fractured arm which can make you tentative but he's always been a little streaky and it's not uncommon for him to ghost through/be anonymous in games and unfortunately he's been doing that too much this season.

It's a skill off his that he often plays street style football but when the little flicks and things aren't coming off he tends not to influence games so much. I expect him to become more consistent as he matures but we'll have to put up with it for now, I do think he misses Demble or someone like him who can dribble and draw players out of position.

He is playing roughly two positions a match without our best/smartest players ahead.

Absolutely.
I find some of the “opinions” on his “form” both ludicrous and massively lacking in context...

its exactly as what the posts above inform - too many hollywood stunts when he should know that we need him to keep his head down and do whats needed to keep possession. granted that we are missing a few midfield anchors, but commitment and maturity is about the discipline for the greater good.

this is not a kneejerk reaction, his influence/contribution has been poor for someone of his ability this season. if he is carrying an injury then i guess he should be forgiven for playing through the pain. but excuses like that is speculative at best - i am calling it as i see it. if the gaffer thinks he is fit - then he's fit!

but even if called to play deep-lying midfield i think he has the tools in him to do that role well. I am speculating here but i think he doen't buy in to the gaffer's wishes and shows it.

its exactly as what the posts above inform - too many hollywood stunts when he should know that we need him to keep his head down and do whats needed to keep possession. granted that we are missing a few midfield anchors, but commitment and maturity is about the discipline for the greater good.

this is not a kneejerk reaction, his influence/contribution has been poor for someone of his ability this season. if he is carrying an injury then i guess he should be forgiven for playing through the pain. but excuses like that is speculative at best - i am calling it as i see it. if the gaffer thinks he is fit - then he's fit!

but even if called to play deep-lying midfield i think he has the tools in him to do that role well. I am speculating here but i think he doen't buy in to the gaffer's wishes and shows it.
So many players are deemed ‘fit’ yet carry some sort of injury. Look at how often in recent years players put off operations to finish a season. We rightly have no idea which of our players are being nursed through large parts of the season.

He is injured though, he had a cast on his arm.
May not sound much but I'd be surprised if it didn't affect his balance, and subconsciously he must be trying to protect it which will have all kinds of ramifications.

So many players are deemed ‘fit’ yet carry some sort of injury. Look at how often in recent years players put off operations to finish a season. We rightly have no idea which of our players are being nursed through large parts of the season.

In "The Glory Game" book, the then team doctor explained that he would tell Bill Nick that players were injured or not and Nicholson would not always follow the advice. Particularly, Cliff Jones would be played while injured because his threat was so well known that opponents would double mark him.

I think that a key aspect of Dele's issues at the moment is that he is being asked to do a job that does not make best use of his ability. The fact that we have only been able to call on our "DESK" formation a few times this season has, imho, contributed to how disjointed we have sometimes been.

Back