• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

What player hasn't?

I don't get the wider media's obsession with Alli's diving.

Rooney did this, Owen did this, Gerrard did this, Bale did this. It surely cant be because he's English or British?

Is it because he's black, english, a bit flash, successful and people don't like it? Like Raheem Sterling?

I think in this country we expect players not to dive which is ironic as many English players have been diving for years as you pointed out. The above are all great examples of serial divers so it's quite sanctimonious of the media and pundits to claim that our players don't dive.

Personally, I don't like to see players diving. Everyone does it these days so I get that we would be at a disadvantage if we didn't do it ourselves. I'll live with it if Alli keeps doing it but I do also believe that refs may not give us genuine penalties if the likes of Alli goes to ground which could ultimately hurt us. That's the main concern I have with our players diving. Alli has already gained a rep for it and rightly so. At the very least, he needs to get better at it and disguise it better as the majority of his dives are so telegraphed that almost everyone in the stadium can see it's a dive.

Think sometimes we can suffer from being very self righteous about such matters at Spurs.
Having watches Fransis Lee, Robert Pires, Ashley Young, Diego Costa and numerous other serial offenders do it against us for many years its karma.

No true football fan truly likes or condones cheating/bending the rules/"being clever". But if defenders keep stupidly attempting a tackle poorly in the area then players will always try to gain the slightest advantage.
Referees hold the key and when VAR is established, retrospective bans will solve 'some' of the problems in this particular area.

I honestly couldn't give a sh1t about Dele diving or otherwise being a bit of a qunt to play against. Good, phuck other teams and their mug fans. It's taken far too long in my time supporting Spurs for us to have some of that in our team, now we have plenty of players who do whatever it takes. Name one quality team that doesn't? We want our team to push on and win trophies, this is part of what it takes to do that. Football is a cheat's game and always has been, only the forms of cheating change over time (used to just kick players off the pitch, nowadays it's play-acting and diving). Always appealing for everything (throw-ins, free-kicks, corners, knowing full well that it's not your ball), trying to pressure the officials -- that's the crowd too. Honest football teams will get beat, so there ain't many of them.

I just find it funny watching fans of other sides, Arsenal in particular, bemoan someone else diving for a change - i dont know how Arsenal fans have the cheek to pull anyone up on it having set the standard themselves early in Wengers reign - it's one of the biggest hypocrisies in all of football afaic

Think sometimes we can suffer from being very self righteous about such matters at Spurs.
Having watches Fransis Lee, Robert Pires, Ashley Young, Diego Costa and numerous other serial offenders do it against us for many years its karma.

No true football fan truly likes or condones cheating/bending the rules/"being clever". But if defenders keep stupidly attempting a tackle poorly in the area then players will always try to gain the slightest advantage.
Referees hold the key and when VAR is established, retrospective bans will solve 'some' of the problems in this particular area.
they can retrospectively ban people now without VAR ( two this season), it doesn't really help because, Contact= foul, this needs to change before any technological solution will make any difference.

This would hardly have been an issue at all if football's governing bodies had taken the problem of diving seriously years and years ago. When the infection really spread after the PL was established, the FA did fudge All as usual.

Now we have a whole generation of players who have grown up seing their idols cheat their way to sucess with zero consequences.
Agreed but it would have meant we struggle in Europe and internationals, if we are playing by a different set of rules (in practise) compared to most other countries it would effect us negatively. I remember this actually being the case before English clubs joined in en mass.

they can retrospectively ban people now without VAR ( two this season), it doesn't really help because, Contact= foul, this needs to change before any technological solution will make any difference.

Conundrum.
Refereeing needs to change then.
A move to a Pep like non contact sport will eventually kill the game so something has to change.
Fifa don't seem to want tackling?

What player hasn't?

I don't get the wider media's obsession with Alli's diving.

Rooney did this, Owen did this, Gerrard did this, Bale did this. It surely cant be because he's English or British?

Is it because he's black, english, a bit flash, successful and people don't like it? Like Raheem Sterling?

Nothing to do with him being black.

It’s because he’s a little unhinged/ swearing at red etc

And we like to destroy English players

Conundrum.
Refereeing needs to change then.
A move to a Pep like non contact sport will eventually kill the game so something has to change.
Fifa don't seem to want tackling?
Yep it needs to change, I can't see it changing as its only ever gone in the direction of less contact. Clubs don't want to risk their £M assets get injured. As it has become less contact the clubs have got richer.

Go down the divisions and you are allowed to tackle,the quality of football is normally shocking though.

I have no answers just pointing out how I see the situation.

Mauricio Pochettino urges Tottenham's Dele Alli to be remembered for the right reasons amid diving controversy

Mauricio Pochettino has held talks with Dele Alli after his latest diving controversy and urged the Tottenham star to be remembered for the right reasons.

Alli was criticised by former England captains Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer for his tumble over Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey at Selhurst Park on Sunday, though he was defended by Tottenham team-mates Eric Dier and Harry Kane.

Pochettino hinted on Tuesday that he had encouraged the 21-year-old to change his approach on the pitch and compared the scrutiny Alli is receiving to the attention Wayne Rooney was given throughout his time at Manchester United and with England.

“After the Palace game we had a short chat about this situation,” said Spurs boss Pochettino, ahead of Wednesday’s FA Cup fifth-round replay against Rochdale at Wembley. “It is our responsibility to help the players with everything.

“He is an amazing player with an amazing personality and character and of course he is always in the focus, as Rooney was. I am happy with him and all players need to improve in different areas, not only in football.

“In these types of situations, it is about being clever. Don’t be the focus for these types of situations. Be the focus for scoring great goals.

“He is an easy target for other fans as it is easy to complain or accuse Dele. He is very focused on trying to improve, we are focused on trying to help him. He is a great player, a great kid and a very competitive guy who wants to win.

“I think he is going to improve and it’s now only about this process, but I am not worried about the situation as he is a clever player and he knows what he needs to do.”

Pochettino also expressed confidence that referees would not be influenced by the furore surrounding Alli. Though Alli was pilloried for the dive over Hennessey, he could easily have had a penalty for a challenge by Patrick van Aanholt minutes earlier.

He added: “I trust the referees 200 per cent. I trust that they are professional and that they will not behave like fans.”

Alli scored 18 league goals last season but only has 5 league goals so far this season. That is only 4 goals more than Llorente and Sissoko ! Alli is capable of scoring 15-20 league goals every season but 10-15 goals will be acceptable. I think anything below 10 goals will be unacceptable since we don't have many goal scorers. Alli has done better with assists as he has 8 assists now compared with 7 assists in the league last season. But with us lacking goal scorers, we need Alli to start scoring again soon.

Alli scored 18 league goals last season but only has 5 league goals so far this season. That is only 4 goals more than Llorente and Sissoko ! Alli is capable of scoring 15-20 league goals every season but 10-15 goals will be acceptable. I think anything below 10 goals will be unacceptable since we don't have many goal scorers. Alli has done better with assists as he has 8 assists now compared with 7 assists in the league last season. But with us lacking goal scorers, we need Alli to start scoring again soon.

But hasn’t he been involved in 22 goals this season (assists or scored)?

Son is playing more this season so there's likely been a bit of a shift in focus for Alli to be provider rather than goal scorer maybe

Son played plenty last year and scored over 20 goals IIRC

Alli though has had some poorer performances than were used to but has had some great ones too

The issue people have is he has had two outstanding scoring seasons which sets a very high benchmark, whereas this season he has assisted more

Son played plenty last year and scored over 20 goals IIRC

Alli though has had some poorer performances than were used to but has had some great ones too

The issue people have is he has had two outstanding scoring seasons which sets a very high benchmark, whereas this season he has assisted more

Without checking, last season we seemed to play more 3421 with Alli and Eriksen behind Kane and Son off the bench - this season has been more 4231 with Son in there at the expense of the additional CB.

Back