• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

Well you're going to see a lot more of him in next few games now as there are rules on when concussed players can next play and indeed travel abroad.

Jan wasn’t concussed was he?

On Sanchez, I don’t think he’s been that bad. Thrown in a few ropey moments and performances but thought he was good last night after a nervy start. Still on track to be a big player for us in a few years.

I think some fans are being harsh on him he is still a kid ( 22) and learning how to play in the hardest Lge in the world.
Defensively we'll see, he has all the tools if he can add consistency in terms of positioning, marking and decision making.

I'm more concerned about what he does on the ball. 10-15 years ago he would have been a fairly good ball playing centre back I think, but the way the game has developed he looks somewhat out of place in possession. Needs to improve quite a bit, which can be difficult. That is if he's to fulfill his potential as a truly top class centre back, for a very good centre back no worries.

So is nobody on here watching Copa America? How is he doing?

It's kind of odd, the lack of noise around him this season. Wasn't incredible, wasn't a complete trainwreck. You could probably say this for every player at every club but I was hoping for a little bit more, he didn't arrange the deal / paperwork so you can't pin it on him but the guy is our record signing by some distance..

So is nobody on here watching Copa America? How is he doing?

It's kind of odd, the lack of noise around him this season. Wasn't incredible, wasn't a complete trainwreck. You could probably say this for every player at every club but I was hoping for a little bit more, he didn't arrange the deal / paperwork so you can't pin it on him but the guy is our record signing by some distance..

That's pretty fair, but it's missing the wider context, imo. He had a first season that surpassed expectations, and he's a very young man who has essentially played three continuous years of football in three different countries across hemispheres and continents.

If there isn't much talk about him, I'd suggest that it's because, in that context, he had an acceptable season.

And he's apparently killing it at the Copa America, too.

That's pretty fair, but it's missing the wider context, imo. He had a first season that surpassed expectations, and he's a very young man who has essentially played three continuous years of football in three different countries across hemispheres and continents.

If there isn't much talk about him, I'd suggest that it's because, in that context, he had an acceptable season.

And he's apparently killing it at the Copa America, too.

Yeah I get your points, great to hear re the tournament as well. It's interesting that he still managed to rack up 37 games in all comps for us according to a quick wiki check, must say I'd have guessed fewer than that.

I think added to all the factors you've mentioned, not many predicted that Toby still even be here, never mind coming back in to the fore and becoming pretty much un-droppable again. Maybe from Sanchez's perspective it's better if Alders leaves..

I can't stress enough, the fee isn't his fault (in a negative sense at least) but I'm still wrapping my head around how we can have our all time record signing on the bench in the champions league final and no one bats an eyelid. I appreciate that's a simplified way of looking at it as the insane inflation that has occured means that the young prospects cost what the already superstars used to...

Beaten by another ridiculous long ball over the top, resulting in yet another goal.

For his supposed strength, height and speed that is frankly ridiculous...

That was a nice attempted overhead kick from Sanchez, he just didn't quite connect. He did get a shot away which lead to our first goal, in the confusion.

He got caught twice like that
Really basic stuff but starts to follow the ball then panics as their man is near him

I see several posters giving him a lot of slack and making all sorts of excused - as usual; but that was his ball. Would you imagine Van Dijk or Maguire allowing a ball from the opponents box sail over their head like that? Of course not! They would have backed off a few paces and headed it away.

I think your comment is a perfect analysis of one of his major weaknesses. He still has major concentration issues, especially on long balls. He does not seem to be able to focus on the oncoming ball, if he is the last man and has a big centre forward harassing him. Instead of detaching himself from the physical duel, and standing his ground and adjusting his position - he tussles back, losing the necessary concentration and spatial awareness . He then realises he is hopelessly out of position but by then he is too late and the ball has sailed over him.

Someone said he is a cross between King and Gardner and in this respect he is exactly the latter, who - had he addressed concentration and timing deficits - would have been a good defender.

I still have major reservations on him especially his physicality - which is incredible because he is a beast of a man. But game after game he is bullied by strong aggressive centre forwards... and in the Premiership, this is a big no no!

I see several posters giving him a lot of slack and making all sorts of excused - as usual; but that was his ball. Would you imagine Van Dijk or Maguire allowing a ball from the opponents box sail over their head like that? Of course not! They would have backed off a few paces and headed it away.

I think your comment is a perfect analysis of one of his major weaknesses. He still has major concentration issues, especially on long balls. He does not seem to be able to focus on the oncoming ball, if he is the last man and has a big centre forward harassing him. Instead of detaching himself from the physical duel, and standing his ground and adjusting his position - he tussles back, losing the necessary concentration and spatial awareness . He then realises he is hopelessly out of position but by then he is too late and the ball has sailed over him.

Someone said he is a cross between King and Gardner and in this respect he is exactly the latter, who - had he addressed concentration and timing deficits - would have been a good defender.

I still have major reservations on him especially his physicality - which is incredible because he is a beast of a man. But game after game he is bullied by strong aggressive centre forwards... and in the Premiership, this is a big no no!

I used to call it the Arthur moment when coaching... you get stuck doing half of one thing and half of another and do neither.

Back