• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Bentley

Very honest.

Sounds like a fan - and how a lot of fans would actually be if they became pros.

Good luck to him.

Very honest.

Sounds like a fan - and how a lot of fans would actually be if they became pros.

Good luck to him.

Agreed.

Seems like a perfectly good guy, but his attitude doesn't seem right for top level football, at least not for a club like us.

We need players with the dedication to sit down and try to learn what they're doing wrong and what they're doing right. Players with the drive to accept that every day in training won't be enjoyable, but be willing to push themselves to get to where they want to be.

Unfortunately I think we've had a lot of players with his type of attitude instead.

Thought he come across poorly myself, basically saying he didn't want to work at his football career - wanted to coast through on natural ability - unfortunately for him he wasn't as gifted as he thought he was.

Don't blame him for wanting out of the sport though if he's not feeling it - his age with millions in the bank and id struggle to motivate myself as well

Seems like a perfectly good guy, but his attitude doesn't seem right for top level football, at least not for a club like us.

yh i agree too. i just don't like how this type of attitude can be misinterpretted. people will often associate this type of character with being lazy etc. but the fact of the matter is, he is a perfectly nice guy on a human level, who perhaps did not want to make the sacrifices that it would have taken to be a top top class footballer. there's nothing wrong with this. perhaps he wants other things from his life.

Thought he come across poorly myself, basically saying he didn't want to work at his football career - wanted to coast through on natural ability - unfortunately for him he wasn't as gifted as he thought he was.

Don't blame him for wanting out of the sport though if he's not feeling it - his age with millions in the bank and id struggle to motivate myself as well

agree with you. Doesnt seem to know what he wants. If a big club came for him i am sure he would go and play football again.

it actually angers me that he finds it easy to give up...plenty of lads would love to be playing football as a career.

it actually angers me that he finds it easy to give up...plenty of lads would love to be playing football as a career.

but then they should've given as much as bentley did as a kid to pursue this dream

He didn't have that ambition, that drive to push himself that extra little bit to become even better. Nothing wrong with that on a personal level for me. There's a real shame we spend that much money on someone with that attitude, I like to think that if in a similar position I would have a different attitude to him, but I have no problems with people not being all that ambitious and wanting to enjoy life on a personal level.

I think a lot of players have a similar attitude to his, I think we've had quite a few at our club (without wanting to derail the thread), at least he's being honest now and that I appreciate. I like that much better than the fake chest hitting, badge kissing players that are just pretending to be passionate.

agree with you. Doesnt seem to know what he wants. If a big club came for him i am sure he would go and play football again.

Very easy to compare yourself only with those that have it (slightly) better.

Millions if not billions of kids have grown up only dreaming of the kind of opportunities many of us take for granted. Can you put your hand on your heart and say that you've made the best of all those, that you've never given up on a pursuit that so many of them would have been desperate to even have the chance to try?

I know I can't. I've often chosen the path of least resistance, I've often cared more about my own personal happiness in the moment than about making the most out of my opportunities. I often chose to enjoy life rather than push myself to become all that I can be.

Next time we hear of David Bentley it will be in an article/ video about footballers who went bankrupt, lost all their money and now work as a black cab driver.

i think some of you misinterpreted what he was saying.

its nothing to do with laziness or not wanting to work hard. he is saying football became too scientific and therefor less about expressing yourself on the pitch which didn't suit him

i think some of you misinterpreted what he was saying.

its nothing to do with laziness or not wanting to work hard. he is saying football became too scientific and therefor less about expressing yourself on the pitch which didn't suit him

true, but it sure does come off as a euphemism for not wanting to put the work in. having said that, i don't think he was particularly "lazy" or whatever. he probably just valued other aspects of his life more.

Very easy to compare yourself only with those that have it (slightly) better.

Millions if not billions of kids have grown up only dreaming of the kind of opportunities many of us take for granted. Can you put your hand on your heart and say that you've made the best of all those, that you've never given up on a pursuit that so many of them would have been desperate to even have the chance to try?

I know I can't. I've often chosen the path of least resistance, I've often cared more about my own personal happiness in the moment than about making the most out of my opportunities. I often chose to enjoy life rather than push myself to become all that I can be.

I guess you are right. I'm doing it myself now!

Yep. As said before I went to school with him and he was very dedicated.

i always find it confusing and laughable when people think there are guys in the premier league who haven't made massive sacrifices to get there. i accept that not every player dedicates themselves to improving their ability as much as the likes of ronaldo, but make no mistake, even the guys like balotelli, ravel morrison and david bentley have dedicated themselves to football far more than the average person thinks. their level of effort only looks bad because of the super-human endeavours of players like ronaldo. if you were to compare what bentley put into football as a kid, to what the average student at cambridge/oxford put into education as a kid, i suspect bentley would come out far on top.

look at the numbers for pro footballers. clarke carlisle has said that only 1% make it from the academy setups (in the documentary; footballs suicide secret). liverpool coach mark yates has said that 98% of players who are signed up by pro clubs are released by 18 years of age. all those guys (that are released) were the best players in their schools. ie. they were the best player(s) out of a group of a few hundred. bentley has not only made it as part of that 1%, but has gone on to have a career in the premier league (the elite) for a number of years. theres no way he did that purely on natural talent. at some stage in his life, he had some serious dedication.

then its good he stepped aside to allow space for someone else (ie, like Pritchard)

you have to be true to yourself in life - he sounds like he just wants to play football without getting too bogged down in the detail.........you know, like most of us do in our 5a-side or sunday team.

you play together and for eachother - but don't spend hours examining every tiny detail making it like "a job", just the basics.

he would have been fine in the 70s or 80s

its this kind of thing fans need to remember when talking about players passion etc - it is A JOB.
Professional sport is no longer (if it ever was) about having fun playing the sport or loving a club - its about winning.

I couldn't disagree more. Football at the top is not about money. Those players for whom money is the biggest driver will not succeed. When you're making £100k per week, an extra £10k is not a great motivator.

Those that succeed are those that thrive on the contest and the opportunity to beat their opponent. The money is just an outcome which is why they have agents around to get them the best deal.

Bentley obviously didn't have that. He strikes me as someone who in his youth never had to work to be the best on the park, so when he suddenly had to compete, it made him uncomfortable.

The world is littered with guys who were superstars in their younger years. Most of them don't progress.

I couldn't disagree more. Football at the top is not about money. Those players for whom money is the biggest driver will not succeed. When you're making £100k per week, an extra £10k is not a great motivator.

Those that succeed are those that thrive on the contest and the opportunity to beat their opponent. The money is just an outcome which is why they have agents around to get them the best deal.

Bentley obviously didn't have that. He strikes me as someone who in his youth never had to work to be the best on the park, so when he suddenly had to compete, it made him uncomfortable.

The world is littered with guys who were superstars in their younger years. Most of them don't progress.

completely agree

He wanted to enjoy his football and you can't argue with that. As kids most of us are told to enjoy the game but if you can't enjoy it you do not want to do it anymore.

Back