• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Beckham just wants his knighthood

Meanwhile Didier Drogba sits by his phone....
Drogba released a statement welcoming the findings that "no funds have been misapplied by my Foundation, and that there has been no financial wrongdoing, no fraud and no corruption"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38177311

The Charity Commission began its inquiry into "serious regulatory concerns" at the Didier Drogba Foundation in April.

That followed a Daily Mail report that only £14,115 of the £1.7m donated had gone to help causes in Africa.

That is 0.8%

Not 80%

Not 8%

I mean, seriously. Why would someone do that? What sort of sick, twisted, enormously wealthy fck would do that?

Massive fan of Becks, absolutely love the guy for what he has done on and off the field. Him and Ginola are pretty much the only males on this planet that I would leave my Mrs for.....

There are so many more bells that have got a knighthood that have got it far easier than he has (Murray for one) and Kelly Holmes (can't stand that woman). I'm not saying that Murray doesn't deserve it but not saying that he does deserve it either. Winning a tennis tournament (or two) is hardly worthy of a knighthood. I'll probably get shot down here though!

I think knighthoods are given out to sporting heroes too easily.

It's only a matter of time (I hope) as he completely deserves it for his ambassador roles for different charities and that type of work alone but actually, his football achievements and what he has done globally probably warrants it too.

Compare Beckham to George Michael for a second; Beckham donated his wages at PSG to charity, admirable it goes without saying but did he really need to hold a press conference to announce it to everyone?

Since George Michael has died, many people have come forward and recounted stories of his benevolence, he donated money to a woman who couldn't afford IVF treatment among other things. He didn't feel the need to make a big song and dance about it.

As Larry David said, "you're either anonymous or you're not". Too many people donate money for the credit rather than simply to help people.

george michael is more than worthy of one too

the way they have handed them out suggests to me that Becks has more than met the criteria to get one

Exactly. Whether you think he deserves it or not doesn't really matter I guess, if he has met the criteria that others have got it for, then he should get one.

I'm not even comvimced there is a true criteria anymore. The honours seem to be as much about populism or cronyism as anything else (or correcting omissions from years ago when they weren't handed out seemingly at whim).
I've got nothing against Beckham at all, in fact I quite like the way he goes about things nowadays.
Whether he deserves the accolade of a knighthood for services to sport is debatable but he may get the honour for services to charity in the future after all this noise has died down.

On a Beckham related note, he was on Desert Island Discs a couple of weeks ago (yeah, I'm getting on a bit!) and he came across very well. Quite humble with some entertaining stories. Worth a 30 minute listen (podcast available) for anyone with an interest in him.

..and his tweets to the Queen,can you imagine him writing those....'is it Liz the Queen's full name,Vic darling??..........you know he pays someone or his 'people' to do all those.

Massive fan of Becks, absolutely love the guy for what he has done on and off the field. Him and Ginola are pretty much the only males on this planet that I would leave my Mrs for.....

There are so many more bells that have got a knighthood that have got it far easier than he has (Murray for one) and Kelly Holmes (can't stand that woman). I'm not saying that Murray doesn't deserve it but not saying that he does deserve it either. Winning a tennis tournament (or two) is hardly worthy of a knighthood. I'll probably get shot down here though!

I think knighthoods are given out to sporting heroes too easily.

It's only a matter of time (I hope) as he completely deserves it for his ambassador roles for different charities and that type of work alone but actually, his football achievements and what he has done globally probably warrants it too.

i don't particularly like Murray or Tennis but winning Wimbledon is way bigger for British Tennis than anything Beckham done on the football pitch for English/British football

i don't particularly like Murray or Tennis but winning Wimbledon is way bigger for British Tennis than anything Beckham done on the football pitch for English/British football
It's only because we are brick at tennis and hadn't won Wimbledon since Fred Perry. If we won the world cup, most of those average players would be knighted. Again, I don't necessarily think sporting heroes should be knighted for winning a tournament. Beckham is a global icon, and has done a huge amount for UK sport alone not just football. But yes, maybe his medals in the UK do not warrant it but what he has done for the sport and the UK in general I think warrants it.

It's only because we are bricke at tennis and hadn't won Wimbledon since Fred Perry. If we won the world cup, most of those average players would be knighted. Again, I don't necessarily think sporting heroes should be knighted for winning a tournament. Beckham is a global icon, and has done a huge amount for UK sport alone not just football. But yes, maybe his medals in the UK do not warrant it but what he has done for the sport and the UK in general I think warrants it.

well yeah, of course, that's the point :D

if England were to win a World Cup or even a Euro Championships then id imagine the players/manager would also get one - if we consistently won those trophies then the achievement has less of an impact and the players probably wouldn't receive the honors. Beckham isnt going to get one off the back of his sporting achievements is all im saying, no more so than Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs would.

im not really sure who he's an icon to really other than people who put too much stock in tabloid newspapers, he's an engineered celebrity who has courted fame and the limelight his entire adult life - fair play if that's what you want to do with your life but its not deserving of admiration or a knighthood, imo

One of the most overated players in the English game, as billy suggests above he is a engineered celebrity and loves himself.
How dare you! Tongue in cheek of course but I couldn't disagree more with you.

He was not overrated at all. A talent we couldn't keep hold of and turned out to be an awesome player that played for the biggest club in the world. He was world class, he performed on that stage. I really don't get why people say he was overrated. He won medals and played in different leagues and played with the galacticos. That is clearly not overrated. His passing ability alone was pure world class. His free kicks. Well.

But, to stick up for him, he went from zero to hero as he was one of if not the most hated footballer in England in 1998. He turned that around and has now become one of the nations most loved footballers/celebrities.

If Kelly Holmes, Andy Murray, Bradley fcuking drug taking Wiggins, and sportsman like Lee Pearson for equestrian can get it then Beckham deserves it IMO.

Also, if Bruce bloody Forsythe can get one for his contribution to the UK and his brick shows then surely Sir Becks is soon for his work on the tele.

Last edited:
but those people have unrivaled achievements in their chosen sports (at least unrivaled among their countrymen/women) and won big things whilst representing our country, Beckham was just a good player who had a good career playing for good teams.

he competed in a bigger sport but that doesn't make his achievements bigger than the others you mention

but those people have unrivaled achievements in their chosen sports (at least unrivaled among their countrymen/women) and won big things whilst representing our country, Beckham was just a good player who had a good career playing for good teams.

he competed in a bigger sport but that doesn't make his achievements bigger than the others you mention
Mate he wasn't a good player. He was an outstanding player. This isn't because I have an infatuation with him. He was an amazing player. He could cross, he could shoot, he could pass, he could score. Kids wanted to be like him. They copied his style of free kicks. They idolised him. They wore his boots. Kids don't just want to be a good player. And these weren't just United fans it was every single kid in the UK. I'm not sure what else you want him to be "good" at. His career wasn't good as you say, it was bloody exceptional. If this was his career at spurs would you be saying the same thing? I don't get why a lot of Spurs fans can't appreciate non spurs related players or things.

You don't play for the top teams in every competitive league if you are just "good", sorry.

I feel strongly about this as he gets so much stick but he won everything pretty much.

Also, these individuals are competing against say 5 major competitors. Becks would be in a team but playing against 100s that were in the same league as him ie World class. It's easier to stand out against 5 or look as bad. Their achievements aren't that great or greater than his IMO.

Also, the sports that these so called "heroes" take part in are only given knighthoods because the whole country are behind them and they are nice sports that kids and granddads and mums and little
Girls like and watch when the BBC have them on for a summer. It's the nice thing to do but at the end of the day who gives a fudge about a horse jumping over the fence with some
Posh taco who paid his way to get there in the first place? Ok, the public seem to like him because he wins a gold, let's knight him. Footballers may get paid a lot but they hardly get Knighted. The whole knighting and dame system is fcuked IMO, of course.

Last edited:
I don't think any player ever did so much with so little, he reached the pinnacle of the biggest sport through nothing more than hard work and determination, he transformed himself into an exceptional player.

Mate he wasn't a good player. He was an outstanding player. This isn't because I have an infatuation with him. He was an amazing player. He could cross, he could shoot, he could pass, he could score. Kids wanted to be like him. They copied his style of free kicks. They idolised him. They wore his boots. Kids don't just want to be a good player. And these weren't just United fans it was every single kid in the UK. I'm not sure what else you want him to be "good" at. His career wasn't good as you say, it was bloody exceptional. If this was his career at spurs would you be saying the same thing? I don't get why a lot of Spurs fans can't appreciate non spurs related players or things.

You don't play for the top teams in every competitive league if you are just "good", sorry.

I feel strongly about this as he gets so much stick but he won everything pretty much.

Also, these individuals are competing against say 5 major competitors. Becks would be in a team but playing against 100s that were in the same league as him ie World class. It's easier to stand out against 5 or look as bad. Their achievements aren't that great or greater than his IMO.

Also, the sports that these so called "heroes" take part in are only given knighthoods because the whole country are behind them and they are nice sports that kids and granddads and mums and little
Girls like and watch when the BBC have them on for a summer. It's the nice thing to do but at the end of the day who gives a fudge about a horse jumping over the fence with some
Posh taco who paid his way to get there in the first place? Ok, the public seem to like him because he wins a gold, let's knight him. Footballers may get paid a lot but they hardly get Knighted. The whole knighting and dame system is fcuked IMO, of course.
Beckham won titles in two team League's with clubs that out spent everyone in those countries. So to dis some one elses achievements because there was only 5 top competitors is dumb.
He always comes across as a decent guy but I personally don't think he is deserving of a knighthood.

Beckham won titles in two team League's with clubs that out spent everyone in those countries. So to dis some one elses achievements because there was only 5 top competitors is dumb.
He always comes across as a decent guy but I personally don't think he is deserving of a knighthood.

from another angle,

Beckham forced himself into two teams who could afford to buy any player on the planet

Back