• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

Me too. If we had a genuine, top quality replacement lined up then fair enough but I fail to see how Tripper and a still raw KWP adds up to a sufficient replacement.
Tripps is never likely adequately replace Walker defensively but give him time and he can deliver bonus dividends going forward. Watching the way Poch is moulding this team my conclusion is he places less importance on the defensive capabilities of his wingbacks, preferring to rely on a powerful back three, DM and CM and intensive high-pressing by his WBs, AMs and striker.

I keep reading how Trippier is so inferior to Walker defensively, but Im yet to see him really slip up in a defensive capacity. Other than Walkers' obvious recovery pace, can someone advise why he is so much better defensively?

Recovery pace, strength and ability in one-on-ones. Trippier is sub-par in all of these areas - think back to how Martial utterly skinned him for Rooney's goal against us in the finale at the Lane.

Where Trippier betters Walker is in his crossing ability and skill on the ball - everywhere else, he isn't quite as good.

Recovery pace, strength and ability in one-on-ones. Trippier is sub-par in all of these areas - think back to how Martial utterly skinned him for Rooney's goal against us in the finale at the Lane.

Where Trippier betters Walker is in his crossing ability and skill on the ball - everywhere else, he isn't quite as good.
Right, thats one example and a good one, but can you honestly recollect many other times hes been soundly done defensively? My point wasnt to suggest that hes as good as Walker on defensive duties, but that he isnt the significant drop in quality that many suggest....

I keep reading how Trippier is so inferior to Walker defensively, but Im yet to see him really slip up in a defensive capacity. Other than Walkers' obvious recovery pace, can someone advise why he is so much better defensively?
It's not so much mistakes, though that does come into it, it's things like positioning, speed of recovery, physical attributes, the ability to dominate clever opponents, success in the tackle, ball-retention under pressure etc. It's worth remembering that Walker was once much maligned on here by plenty including myself for his susceptibility to gaffes but over his last couple of seasons with us he made big improvements on that front, same for Davies this year, so given regular playing time no reason why Trippier cannot similar close the gap.

I count myself among Tripp's biggest champions but mainly for his exceptional attacking prowess. Suppose we all see things differently and you are as much entitled to your view as anyone else.

It's not so much mistakes, though that does come into it, it's things like positioning, speed of recovery, physical attributes, the ability to dominate clever opponents, success in the tackle, ball-retention under pressure etc. It's worth remembering that Walker was once much maligned on here by plenty including myself for his susceptibility to gaffes but over his last couple of seasons with us he made big improvements on that front, same for Davies this year, so given regular playing time no reason why Trippier cannot similar close the gap.

I count myself among Tripp's biggest champions but mainly for his exceptional attacking prowess. Suppose we all see things differently and you are as much entitled to your view as anyone else.
Maybe its better to take Walker out of the equation to get my point across better. For me he is dependable at defending, I havent seen him do much wrong at all defensively. I dont see him being targeted as a weaker full back vs Davies for example, and he is much better attacking.....

Maybe its better to take Walker out of the equation to get my point across better. For me he is dependable at defending, I havent seen him do much wrong at all defensively. I dont see him being targeted as a weaker full back vs Davies for example, and he is much better attacking.....
Good suggestion, besides for me we've lost a tanner and found a sixpence.

Trips has been and was fine yesterday even though he looked still a bit off the pace after his injury.
Kyle Walker was great for Spurs.

This, Walker is also more physically imposing, even if an opposition player can get the beating of Walker, they won't be able to bully him. To me that's a piece a lot of people miss, with Danny (who is more built and compensates the height difference with aggression), Walker, Toby, Jan protected by Dier/Dembele/Wanyama, Spurs became a side simply impossibly to bully, outplay by best teams, possible, bully, no.

That's one of the reasons I'd like us to see another RB option as KWP doesn't help there either.

Tripper struggles at times one against one against quick wingers and also when there is quick combinations going on around him. Walker with his pace and physical strength was very difficut to beat one against one and also found it easier to keep up when the ball was passed arund quickly. He could also makes covering runs with his pace, of course.

We missed this little toe rag yesterday. And will do against all the top sides. Trippier and Davies are both great understudies. However they are both not on a patch on Walker and Rose.
Still feel gutted that we let Walker go. Makes no sense still.

I do like Walker and thought he was/is the best RB around, i also thought that a couple years back when some fans were on his back about his supposed ' brainfarts". However IF the reports around about Poch deciding that he no longer wanted Walker around and was happy to see him go why/would you think it makes no sense.

Looks like talk that Rose and Poch had cleared the air might have been a bit premature :

Danny Rose set for decisive talks on Tottenham future - sources

Dan Kilpatrick
Tottenham Correspondent

Danny Rose is set for decisive talks with Tottenham Hotspur this week after a breakdown of his relationship with manager Mauricio Pochettino, sources have told ESPN FC, with Manchester United interested in the defender.
Rose's agent, Mark Rankine, is due to meet to Daniel Levy for crunch talks on Wednesday but the Spurs chairman is expected to reiterate that Rose is not for sale, despite the left-back's desire to leave the club before the transfer deadline.
The sources said that Rose and Pochettino have not spoken privately since the defender's explosive interview with a national newspaper a fortnight ago, even after Rose issued a written apology.
The England international, who was fined two weeks wages' for the outburst, was once so close to Pochettino that he was jokingly referred to as the "gaffer's son" by his teammates but their relationship, which was already cooling, has deteriorated since Rose broke ranks and criticised the club's transfer policy and wage structure.

But, with fewer than 10 days remaining in the transfer window, Rose is increasingly resigned to staying at Spurs for now. The 27-year-old has not played since January due to a knee injury and he is not expected to return to full training until next month at the earliest, which further dampens his chances of leaving the club before Aug. 31.

Pochettino and Levy have the final say on who to buy and sell and, if the club does not allow Rose to leave this month, the manager faces a difficult decision. No player who has crossed Pochettino has ever played for Tottenham again, and Pochettino could either integrate Rose back into the squad when fit or choose not to select him.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3185876/danny-rose-set-for-decisive-talks-on-tottenham-future-sources

Last edited:
Looks like talk that Rose and Poch had cleared the air might have been a bit premature :

Danny Rose set for decisive talks on Tottenham future - sources

Dan Kilpatrick
Tottenham Correspondent

Danny Rose is set for decisive talks with Tottenham Hotspur this week after a breakdown of his relationship with manager Mauricio Pochettino, sources have told ESPN FC, with Manchester United interested in the defender.
Rose's agent, Mark Rankine, is due to meet to Daniel Levy for crunch talks on Wednesday but the Spurs chairman is expected to reiterate that Rose is not for sale, despite the left-back's desire to leave the club before the transfer deadline.
The sources said that Rose and Pochettino have not spoken privately since the defender's explosive interview with a national newspaper a fortnight ago, even after
Rose issued a written apology.
The England international, who was fined two weeks wages' for the outburst, was once so close to Pochettino that he was jokingly referred to as the "gaffer's son" by his teammates but their relationship, which was already cooling, has deteriorated since Rose broke ranks and criticised the club's transfer policy and wage structure.

But, with fewer than 10 days remaining in the transfer window, Rose is increasingly resigned to staying at Spurs for now. The 27-year-old has not played since January due to a knee injury and he is not expected to return to full training until next month at the earliest, which further dampens his chances of leaving the club before Aug. 31.

Pochettino and Levy have the final say on who to buy and sell and, if the club does not allow Rose to leave this month, the manager faces a difficult decision. No player who has crossed Pochettino has ever played for Tottenham again, and Pochettino could either integrate Rose back into the squad when fit or choose not to select him.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/socc...or-decisive-talks-on-tottenham-future-sources

The least surprising news of the year.

Rose is dead to Pochettino since that interview.

Just reading that story again makes me both angry and want to laugh....'Rose signed a new 5 year contract last September but insists he should be on more money'. Hahahahahhaa....what the hell was he thinking? It will be at least 10 months before he plays for us again, if at all...you have to laugh at the numbskull.

Same story from Jack Pitt-Brooke (who was the first to get the Walker story before the end of last season)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ecisive-talks-daniel-levy-spurs-a7906381.html

The Club has obviously briefed journos about this.

I can't see what they'd gain from doing so - unless Rose's exit in some bizarro deal that gets us Martial and Shaw has already been sorted out, and the only consideration for Levy is mollifying fans. Otherwise, why would it ever be useful to alert the market that he wants out?

I'm quite torn on this one. Best outcome obviously is for Rose to realise he is going nowhere, at least for this season, get fit, knuckle down and get his place back. Which means mending bridges with Poch at least, possibly others.
On the other hand, if he is going to be a disgruntled presence around the place, would we be better off selling him now, as long as we can get the same fee we'd get for a fit Danny Rose? (And get in a suitable replacement of course). There's also no sense in letting his transfer value diminish by keeping him benched just for the sake of making a point. Selling now might be better all round, except it then gives the impression that a player can engineer a move through the media. It sends out the wrong message, and keeps the (somewhat-mythical these days) "selling club" tag alive and kicking.
A bit of a conundrum for Poch and Levy.

I think it's Rose's agent trying to engineer a move by blaming Poch for a 'rift'

The funny thing is that it was the agent who created all this by negotiating such poor deals for his two clients 12 months ago

Back