• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I think Levy and Enic are doing it right but when he says the is no state help what so ever I think he is being a little unfair because it seems the state has relaxed some rules quite a lot for us. Not got a problem with that because Tottenham is a brick hole.
True, there has been state aid for Emirates Marketing Project and West Ham and we have received minimal infrastructure aid, admittedly not to the extent others have.
Also, to say there isn't a player we need but can't afford isn't quite right. Surely, we need someone like Bale or Neymar but we can't afford. He might mean someone who can make a difference to us, who we want, well surely, we could do with an up and coming player who can turn games, e.g. ousmane Dembele, not yet in the superstar league but still, it seems out of our reach.
To say our Academy will negate the need to buy players who can make a difference because they are local is optimistic at best. I hope it happens but we are more likely to fall behind.
I would agree that our first team's quality means we don't need many players to improve us, indeed we are going to find it difficult to find these players, but we do need to buy some attacking, game changers.
I expect Levy is implying we do not have any exorbitant funds so not to escalate prices.

Doesn't particularly matter, though - in the long run ,over our history, we don't tally up how much we saved on one fee or another or how much we scrimped on wages and then award ourselves a trophy for it. Trophies are remembered - circumstances less so, and how much a team spent or saved even less so. When we made Greaves the first 99,999-pound player in British football, I have no doubt that we were spending much more than other teams. Doesn't matter, because we don't remember that now as much as we remember his goals, the trophies he won and the legend he forged at the club.

Not just Greaves, but Martin Peters, a decade later. The first £200k player.

I know the likes of Chelsea and City were hopping to grow their Club organically then, and many Spurs fans weren't won over because of our success but our style of play alone. Indeed, many fans stopped supporting Spurs because we were the so-called "Bank of England Club".

I honestly can't help how they *come across*, mate. I've stated my position and stuck to it - how people interpret that position is not something that is in my power to control unless I completely change my views, because that's what people will be satiated by. Nothing short of that - nuance is disregarded, caveats are glossed over and the fact that I actually maintain that Levy's done a good job (for example) is ignored in favor of the amusingly dim, trite method of mischaracterizing my views to fit an image I apparently have. Even by you, sometimes.

If you want me to say it *yet again* (although I suspect it won't change your mind) - Levy has done *well*. But that does not factor into whether or not Lewis is a good owner, or that he has been good for us by treating us as a mute asset that appreciates in value and is sold on when it hits its peak.

I appreciate that you're probably not angry, mate, and I apologize if I came across as accusing you of incoherently raging or anything. I meant nothing of the sort. But I *do* see that you're tending towards the same sort of stuff that I get from some other quarters (i.e, 'the way you are talking'), and there's literally nothing I can do about that except shrug and move on.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this, because in my mind you absolutely can control how your views come across. But you're right in that your views have been misrepresented sometimes, but certainly not by me!!!

The holding company's loans will be part of the purchase price Abramovich (or his estate) will negotiate with the buyer when the time comes to sell Chelsea. But legally, they are fairly distinct entities, and I suspect Abramovich intended it that way. We'll disagree on this, of course, but I think he's going to stick it out and recoup his loans on the sale price, as opposed to extracting money from the club itself.

I'm sorry but this is not true. If that were the purpose of hiving up the loans into a holding company, he would have just switched it to equity for both companies. What I mean is, if it was just to come down to purchase price, it would not matter if it were debt or equity. He has done this because he wanted to take the debt away from Chelsea in order for it to meet FFP rules. Now, the benevolent owner would have just converted it into equity and be done with it. But, instead he has ladened the holding company with this debt. Why debt and not equity and specifically debt that can be recalled at any time? Because he needs a more certain method of extracting the money that he is owed. Debt is paid before equity.

The entities are distinct insofar as they are separate legal entities. But one owns 100% of the other.

Abramovich has made Chelsea, no doubt about that. But he has not done it in such a benevolent manner. He has secured his investment in a manner which allows quick withdrawal as and when he chooses.

It is a good thing, the best of things, when it comes as part of a package of fan ownership or at least a sense that it is a conscious choice on the part of the club as a whole. That's what would bring moral fulfillment, in my mind. When it is the cheap method of appreciating the value of an asset so you can sell it on for a 1000% profit with minimal involvement on your part...that doesn't seem like anything particularly morally superior to being a billionaire's plaything. We aren't a plaything, we are an investment built on the premise of minimal cost for maximum reward, at least in so far as input from Lewis is concerned (not saying Levy takes the cheap way out when running us on our own finances, although he does do so in the market a *wee* bit more than I would like :p ). To me, there is little difference in the two from a moral standpoint, is all. Either we're a plaything or a mute asset - might as well be the plaything, because we won't go trophyless that way.

I just find this so contradictory. It's the best thing to be self-funded if only owned by the fans. Without the fan ownership it is not, and that's when the next best option is to bankroll. I don't get it. The former actually allows fan ownership to even be a remote possibility. The latter stops any talk of it whatsoever.

As for it being a cheap way to appreciate an asset; I again disagree :) If the approach were minimal cost for maximum reward, then we wouldn't have one of the best training facilities, we would have average ones. We wouldn't have one of the best stadiums in the world being built, we would have an average one. Being a binary choice between mute asset or plaything is just simply not the case. There is another option. Levy has said it in his own words, he is a custodian of this club, not an owner. Therein lies the difference. He is not willing to mortgage the family silver in the hope of future success. That is far more benevolent in my mind, than being a plaything. This is wise. Put another way, if you are Lewis, are you going to shove all of his hard earned money into a club when there are clubs with far deeper pockets than him? (Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool). No point in competing on who has the most money, if you know you don't have the most money.

We are 400m in debt to a banking consortium to fund the new stadium - Lewis has little problem allowing that because our position is strong enough to make that debt minimally risky. I don't think he cares about us going into significant debt, or a significant deficit, or a significant profit - he (imo) only cares that we don't bother him or depreciate in value as an asset before he sells us.

To me, that is completely compatible with the phrase 'disinterested'. Your interpretation may differ, of course.

It certainly does buddy!!!

So I think we have done this to death. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my points and sorry for opening up the debate on this. I haven't been on as much and so when I saw this, it was one of the few posts that I felt needed a reply.

You know my standpoint. The club is in a vastly superior position to when ENIC bought it. Lewis and Levy deserve credit for it. Lewis for putting his money where his mouth was and allowing Levy to get on with it, and Levy for achieving something that no other club with the same relative resources to its competitors has been able to do. Put simply, he has taken a club that was at best mid-table (worst relegation fears) and taken it to a club that has for two years competed for the title. In addition, he has improved the physical infrastructure of the club to a point where it will literally be unrecognisable. For all their respective faults, there are only maybe a handful of clubs that have been able to do that and hundreds that have tried.

They both deserve credit. :p:p:p

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this, because in my mind you absolutely can control how your views come across. But you're right in that your views have been misrepresented sometimes, but certainly not by me!!!

Oh, occasionally by you too, mate - and I , in turn, have done so with the arguments of others, so I'm not absolving myself of anything here. :) Heated subject, so obviously arguments get passionate and points perhaps glossed over in the rush to make our respective stances clear, I guess.

I'm sorry but this is not true. If that were the purpose of hiving up the loans into a holding company, he would have just switched it to equity for both companies. What I mean is, if it was just to come down to purchase price, it would not matter if it were debt or equity. He has done this because he wanted to take the debt away from Chelsea in order for it to meet FFP rules. Now, the benevolent owner would have just converted it into equity and be done with it. But, instead he has ladened the holding company with this debt. Why debt and not equity and specifically debt that can be recalled at any time? Because he needs a more certain method of extracting the money that he is owed. Debt is paid before equity.

The entities are distinct insofar as they are separate legal entities. But one owns 100% of the other.

Abramovich has made Chelsea, no doubt about that. But he has not done it in such a benevolent manner. He has secured his investment in a manner which allows quick withdrawal as and when he chooses.

Perhaps - I'm admittedly not intimately knowledgeable about Chelsea's ownership structure. Regarding converting debt into equity, though, he *has* done that - I believe in 2009 or 2010, he simply wrote off 350m pounds (! :eek: ) of debt owed to him by converting it into equity with a flick of the pen. I'd argue that said move is likelier to be indicative of what his plans are than the FFP wrangles that Chelsea and their holding company are engaged in.

I just find this so contradictory. It's the best thing to be self-funded if only owned by the fans. Without the fan ownership it is not, and that's when the next best option is to bankroll. I don't get it. The former actually allows fan ownership to even be a remote possibility. The latter stops any talk of it whatsoever.

As for it being a cheap way to appreciate an asset; I again disagree :) If the approach were minimal cost for maximum reward, then we wouldn't have one of the best training facilities, we would have average ones. We wouldn't have one of the best stadiums in the world being built, we would have an average one. Being a binary choice between mute asset or plaything is just simply not the case. There is another option. Levy has said it in his own words, he is a custodian of this club, not an owner. Therein lies the difference. He is not willing to mortgage the family silver in the hope of future success. That is far more benevolent in my mind, than being a plaything. This is wise. Put another way, if you are Lewis, are you going to shove all of his hard earned money into a club when there are clubs with far deeper pockets than him? (Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool). No point in competing on who has the most money, if you know you don't have the most money.

It isn't contradictory, imo - not at all. Simple case of what is morally fulfilling - although, as stated, we will probably continue to disagree on this. :p Likewise with the way we're run - to me, Levy does an admirable job with the club's own money, but there's little risk involved for him or Lewis to go for the expensive option over the cheap option in terms of developing our infrastructure, because it's being done with our cash, and they're guaranteed a 1000% profit on the purchase price to a large extent (as long as they keep us somewhat stable at the upper end of the Premier League). I see little benevolence in such a move, just shrewdness and good stewardship on Levy's part and disinterest on Lewis' part.

It certainly does buddy!!!

So I think we have done this to death. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my points and sorry for opening up the debate on this. I haven't been on as much and so when I saw this, it was one of the few posts that I felt needed a reply.

De nada, mate. I enjoy it - as I said, not looking to change minds as much as thrashing out my own thinking on something, reading some great points made in refutation of my assertions and maybe getting my own mind changed now and then. :p

You know my standpoint. The club is in a vastly superior position to when ENIC bought it. Lewis and Levy deserve credit for it. Lewis for putting his money where his mouth was and allowing Levy to get on with it, and Levy for achieving something that no other club with the same relative resources to its competitors has been able to do. Put simply, he has taken a club that was at best mid-table (worst relegation fears) and taken it to a club that has for two years competed for the title. In addition, he has improved the physical infrastructure of the club to a point where it will literally be unrecognisable. For all their respective faults, there are only maybe a handful of clubs that have been able to do that and hundreds that have tried.

They both deserve credit. :p:p:p

Dortmund, Juve, Lyon, blah blah blah, not as unique as we'd like to think we are, etcetera, etcetera. We've been over all that before, too. :)

Thanks for the talk, mate.

Unfortunately Daniel Levy's quotes on the unsustainability of the current transfer market, reminds me too much of Alan Sugar in the mid 90s.

I don't disagree with the principal now, but I didn't then either.

Unfortunately Daniel Levy's quotes on the unsustainability of the current transfer market, reminds me too much of Alan Sugar in the mid 90s.

Yeah I thought the same too. I think Levy shouldn't have made any comment on other clubs spending.

In his defence the tapping up of some of our players has been disgraceful!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Same thing happened under Sugar. Ferguson was tapping up Anderton back in the mid 90's, he eventually snared Sheringham in the same way. Bayern tapped up Klinsmann

Thing is that if you have good players and they are somehow open to be tempted by more money or a greater possibility of winning trophies then tapping up will always go on.

The balance sheet conversation is 100% valid, if you look at what teams are earning, what they are spending is unsustainable IF you take out the 3rd party backers. Emirates Marketing Project would not be able to spend what they spend without Shiekh Mansoor, if they spent as per the balance sheet they would be a mid table run of the mill club, like they were pre his take over. Its not sustainable because personal wealth will not cover the club for the next 100 years and Levy and his custodians comment is not old fashioned its actually refreshing in my opinion. Short terms gains for long term pains is the term (Leeds, Blackburn to name two)

And he and others I read this week are right, football fans and clubs are an anomaly, spend huge in the youth set up, everyone wants to seethe next Harry Kane YET everyone wants the big money superstars, so what do you do? Buy big stars and block the youth and make the money spent on the facilities, coaches etc look like a bad investment OR stick to a plan and bring through the youth and try and cultivate the next Kane, King, Winks etc?

I look at Spurs and I think we have the balance 100% right and this whole false news story of "Spurs won't spend" is utter garbage, Spur won't spend silly and on rushed signings because our club does not need them. Emirates Marketing Project spending 200m to replace 200m of players that failed last term, thats a great footballing model right?? Wrong.

It also goes back to England, Under 19s etc winning world cup shows the youth set up works, the only way that is going to translate to senior honors is if clubs see through the plan and also back the youth systems they themselves heavily invest in.

Last edited:
Same thing happened under Sugar. Ferguson was tapping up Anderton back in the mid 90's, he eventually snared Sheringham in the same way. Bayern tapped up Klinsmann

Thing is that if you have good players and they are somehow open to be tempted by more money or a greater possibility of winning trophies then tapping up will always go on.

tickle my balls with a feather.

Yeah I thought the same too. I think Levy shouldn't have made any comment on other clubs spending.

I actually think what he said was spot on and it was good to hear him say it. Football is going crazy with the transfer fees and wages and it will end in tears for some. Its also breeding a new fan, ie why do we not spend money that we can not afford, why are we not joining in with all the madness, we are being left behind etc,etc,etc.

It was about time a chairman/owner came out and tried to show some sense and put perspective on it.

The spending at the bigger clubs is sustainable, it's lower down its going to bite first. Fees and wages won't go backwards.
There's a lot of money being spent on very average players at mid table and below.

Re Levy's comments about spending becoming "totally unsustainable". Admirable and credit to him for openly expressing this, but I think Levy is wrong and a little naive. FFP is a complete joke and an utter smokescreen. FIFA/UEFA have shown they will take little or no action whatsoever against the repeat/worst offenders of FFP i.e. Real Madrid, Emirates Marketing Project, Barca etc. They can talk all they want about banning clubs from the CL, but actions speak louder than words. Who seriously thinks UEFA will ban Real from the CL?

As for our spending, I'm not going to completely lose my brick because we've made no signings but I think we are missing a trick. We were so close to the title last season. Every club in world football needs to strengthen/reinforce their squad on a yearly basis, we are no different. I would honestly back our first 11 against anyone in the league but our squad needs to be deeper. Danny Rose came out and said we need 1 marquee signing and I agree. We don't need wholesale changes, just 1/2 players to give the squad a lift and to convince the players that we are looking to close the gap on Chelsea most importantly, but also to keep up with the likes of Emirates Marketing Project and United otherwise I fear we could slip out of the top 4.

people need to get over tapping up, live with it, it happens everywhere, its the way the world works, why shouldn't people hear about a better work offer?
There is a slight difference in football because players are a purchased asset, employees are not.

I do think it's right that a club should have to agree a fee with another club before speaking to the player.

There is a slight difference in football because players are a purchased asset, employees are not.

I do think it's right that a club should have to agree a fee with another club before speaking to the player.

Impractical and a total waste of time if the player is not interested.
The club can just no.
"Tapping up" is a little 70's, I can see Arry with a 'nicely thick' envelope in the big pocket his sheepskin coat....jumpers for goalposts etc........

Perhaps - I'm admittedly not intimately knowledgeable about Chelsea's ownership structure. Regarding converting debt into equity, though, he *has* done that - I believe in 2009 or 2010, he simply wrote off 350m pounds (! :eek: ) of debt owed to him by converting it into equity with a flick of the pen. I'd argue that said move is likelier to be indicative of what his plans are than the FFP wrangles that Chelsea and their holding company are engaged in.

Agree to disagree on the other points, but for this one you are wrong I am afraid. Yes he did convert the debt in Chelsea into equity. All £1billion of it. But, that wasn't the end of it. He instead put debt onto the holding company to the same number. So all he has done in reality is moved the debt to a different company, that just so happens to own Chelsea. Why do this? To remove the debt from Chelsea for FFP, but he has still set it up to be paid back if he so wishes. So he could ask the company to pay his debt back and still own the company.

Conversely, the money ENIC put into Spurs was equity in the first place, or convertible debt which was eventually converted into equity. There are some sums owed to other ENIC companies, but they are very small amounts relatively, and are for other services that are performed, but nothing to the tune of £1bn or even £100m.

That is the difference between the two. You have one owner that has effectively only bought equity. The only exit or payback is from selling the club or through dividends (and dividends can only be paid if there is enough accumulated profit within the company).

The other owner has made his investment, and in the main put it as debt. Meaning he wants the option of his money back and still own the club. Debt does not need to be paid out of accumulated profits and the terms of this debt are that they are repayable on demand. Should he demand, they are fudged.

Yet amazingly, one is considered to be benevolent and generous, and the other is deemed to be miserly and disinterested!!

fair point, there is a difference, I do see it as an unenforceable and impractical policy though, I'm sure it happens in every single deal these days and only the really incompetent operators will get caught out

Back