• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Waitrose are owned by those 'partners' ie employees....so probably have slightly more clout when they want something done or changed.

Yeah I’m aware of that. I worked for the partnership for nearly 15 years. Having said that I know full well they are not afraid of making difficult decisions without caring too much about the backlash from the partners. Not a like for like example but the point was made to illustrate that businesses can and do admit they make mistakes and that’s completely fine. Not to mention Liverpool.

The club is in a tricky situation now. Reverse the decision or stay the course. Do I expect them to change their minds about the furlough scheme? Not really. As Steff pointed out, Levy and Lewis aren’t the warm and fuzzy types, they can come across like Mr Burns at times.

I see Tesla have just furloughed their non essential staff as well as putting in pay cuts for the rest. Now there is a company worth way more than Spurs with an owner worth way more than Levy and Lewis combined. I wonder how much criticism we'll see of Elon Musk.
About as much as the negativity about BA who make more profit than we turnover with a couple of billion more on top

I see Tesla have just furloughed their non essential staff as well as putting in pay cuts for the rest. Now there is a company worth way more than Spurs with an owner worth way more than Levy and Lewis combined. I wonder how much criticism we'll see of Elon Musk.

There has been a lot of criticism of these companies. There is no point in a direct like for like though because nobody is a supporter of BA or Tesla. I'm guessing you also don't follow print media about those companies as much as you do about Spurs, nor do most people bring up Tesla in day to day conversation as they would conversations about their football clubs.

This is a grey issue. I know people don't want to criticise Levy or see any criticism of him. But you can acknowledge that nobody will know the financials of the club as well as him and that he (likely) hasn't taken this decision lightly.

While also acknowledging the fact that from a PR point of view, we are coming off like absolute brick at the moment. We have as our contemporaries two clubs in the relegation zone (one almost certainly will be gone and the other with the smallest turnover in the PL) and.....fudging Mike Ashley. We have, as far as I'm aware, not topped up the extra 20%. We seemingly told staff just minutes before putting out our official statement. And, so far, we haven't seen other clubs join us, other than the Liverpool debacle.

You can not care, bring up BA, think eventually all clubs will join. All reasonable points. But don't be surprised when people do criticise.

Last edited:
There has been a lot of criticism of these companies. There is no point in a direct like for like though because nobody is a supporter of BA or Tesla. I'm guessing you also don't follow print media about those companies as much as you do about Spurs, nor do most people bring up Tesla in day to day conversation as they would conversations about their football clubs.
Actually these companies are reverent as their run as business and the pay their staff in some cases a lot of money
They even pay tax too

That's an understandable position to take when basing it purely on the likely financial security of the individuals in the different roles.

However at the same time, you seem to be saying that you want furloughed staff paid at 400% while not having to work, but want the directors to retain the fair (and stressful) workload that I'd imagine will be required to steer the club through an unprecedented crisis, and do so for free.

I'm not sure that stacks up.

My heart does bleed for these multi-millionaires, I'm struggling to see how they'll cope with it all.

I'm sure if they cared that much about the unprecedented crisis, they can forego one year's multi million pound salary. Or perhaps cut it drastically.

It will look like utter brick if they're still taking in large amounts during this time.

Actually these companies are reverent as their run as business and the pay their staff in some cases a lot of money
They even pay tax too

They're relevant from a business pov. They're not relevant from a PR point of view because I don't go around talking about BA or Tesla on an almost daily basis, nor have I signed up to a forum to discuss their latest performances and how Bill from research is doing on the latest Tesla project.

The post was about equivalent amounts of criticism.

My heart does bleed for these multi-millionaires, I'm struggling to see how they'll cope with it all.

I'm sure if they cared that much about the unprecedented crisis, they can forego one year's multi million pound salary. Or perhaps cut it drastically.

It will look like utter brick if they're still taking in large amounts during this time.

I am not sure they care.

These people are afforded a much better standard of living normally and so it translates to during this crisis too. Nothing has really changed.

I am not sure they care.

These people are afforded a much better standard of living normally and so it translates to during this crisis too. Nothing has really changed.

I am 110% sure that they don't care in the slightest.

Considering peoples' arguments on here though is essentially that the club would potentially collapse if we continued to pay our groundskeepers, shop assistants, scouts etc etc however much they earn (I'm sure most of them don't earn that much), it would seem slightly out of keeping with that if Levy paid himself and the directors a few cool mill each still this year.

Also, this money isn't coming from thin air. Those of us still with jobs will be partly paying for this from raised taxation I'm sure. Which I personally am very happy to do.

Would tinkle me off a tad though if we've put our 550 employees on government pay while Levy and co take him £3mil each this year.

And yes, I know they don't care about that either.

I am 110% sure that they don't care in the slightest.

Considering peoples' arguments on here though is essentially that the club would potentially collapse if we continued to pay our groundskeepers, shop assistants, scouts etc etc however much they earn (I'm sure most of them don't earn that much), it would seem slightly out of keeping with that if Levy paid himself and the directors a few cool mill each still this year.

Also, this money isn't coming from thin air. Those of us still with jobs will be partly paying for this from raised taxation I'm sure. Which I personally am very happy to do.

Would tinkle me off a tad though if we've put our 550 employees on government pay while Levy and co take him £3mil each this year.

And yes, I know they don't care about that either.
But what people earn they earn... someone has chosen to pay them that
People chose to do jobs on a certain salary and make that decision at the time
I pay almost half my smart in tax and NI... I accept that as I knew that when I took the role
Similarly when you a point a director for example with a unique skill set or knowledge there is a premium to attract those people. The same as recruiting players

it’s the same as in the medical world from what little I know. The private sector pay more of get people in and then charge for that in their fees

it’s commerce and all businesses operate like that

I agree a pay cut would be appropriate, and certainly if their workload has been reduced. But that isn't what you said previously.

Irrespective of anything else the directors are, I would imagine, among the employees least likely to be working a reduced load under these circumstances. Your suggestion that they should work for free, while the majority of other staff retain full pay despite not being required to work defies basic logic, no matter how emotive you try to make it.

Last edited:
I agree a pay cut would be appropriate, and certainly if their workload has been reduced. But that isn't what you said previously.

Irrespective of anything else the directors are, I would imagine, among the employees least likely to be working a reduced load under these circumstances. Your suggestion that they should work for free while the majority of other staff retain full pay despite not being required to work defies basic logic, no matter how emotive you try to make it.

No it isn't what I said earlier. I still stand by what I said but I fully appreciate that on topics like this, I am in the minority on this board. I offered what I imagine would be a more palatable option for people on here.

I don't think we'll see eye to eye and I doubt anyone will be changing their minds on this particular topic so its probably best to agree to disagree on this one.

But what people earn they earn... someone has chosen to pay them that
People chose to do jobs on a certain salary and make that decision at the time
I pay almost half my smart in tax and NI... I accept that as I knew that when I took the role
Similarly when you a point a director for example with a unique skill set or knowledge there is a premium to attract those people. The same as recruiting players

it’s the same as in the medical world from what little I know. The private sector pay more of get people in and then charge for that in their fees

it’s commerce and all businesses operate like that

I am not talking about the philosophical or ethical implications of the differences of salaries in normal times.

I am talking about the optics of, in these unprecedented times, the 8th richest club in the world by turnover (and yes I'm aware of our huge debt) taking government money to pay its staff if the directors carried on taking a huge salary. Especially at a time when, despite what some think, we haven't yet been followed by other clubs.

Have no issue with Levy earning significantly more than the groundskeeper or the cleaner generally.

Can people really not accept that the optics of what we're currently doing is brick? And will be even more brick if Levy and the directors go home this season with multi million pound salaries? You can simultaneously not care about what the optics are (fair), think the directors don't care (fair) and think we're doing the right thing for the club (fair).

As an aside, I note that Tesco are rightly getting an absolute bashing in the media for their recent actions with the dividends.

If the government are picking up 80% of wages of employed staff I'm really not sure there's a need to feel too much for the individual as 80% of wages in these circumstances : no work, no travel, no eating out at lunch/after work most likely means everyone is sitting there with more money in their bank accounts than if they been working (i haven't even been paid for 2 weeks (weekly pay) and certainly have more money in my current account than if i were working)

So for me the only issues are how the club looks from a PR perspective and whether or not it's moral for the club to claim from the government- the PR bothers me but that's more due to the way it has been covered in the emotive "footballers earn too much money" sense rather than any real logical thinking and i believe the club certainly have a right to claim on the scheme, so yeah having given it some thought and reading the various posts on the matter i don't really see the big fuss

I am not talking about the philosophical or ethical implications of the differences of salaries in normal times.

I am talking about the optics of, in these unprecedented times, the 8th richest club in the world by turnover (and yes I'm aware of our huge debt) taking government money to pay its staff if the directors carried on taking a huge salary. Especially at a time when, despite what some think, we haven't yet been followed by other clubs.

Have no issue with Levy earning significantly more than the groundskeeper or the cleaner generally.

Can people really not accept that the optics of what we're currently doing is brick? And will be even more brick if Levy and the directors go home this season with multi million pound salaries? You can simultaneously not care about what the optics are (fair), think the directors don't care (fair) and think we're doing the right thing for the club (fair).

As an aside, I note that Tesco are rightly getting an absolute bashing in the media for their recent actions with the dividends.
Are the companies that are providing much needed equipment to the NHS now making profits for example?
Are directors of other companies that have furloughed not taking salaries?
If a company is profiteering from the issues then that’s wrong... and should be scrutinised
If a company isn’t then is that wrong?

...the board of directors, the first-team manager, his coaching staff and the first-team squad have agreed to defer part of their salaries for the months of April, May and June to help protect the future of the club, the staff that work within it and the community we serve.

Furthermore, the club can confirm that it will not use the government’s Job Retention Scheme during April, May and June. Our owners, Mr. Gao and Katharina Liebherr, have put measures in place to ensure that all staff not deferring part of their salaries will continue to receive 100% of their pay, paid in the normal way until 30th June. Any decision on the future beyond this date will be made in advance of this, but only when more information is known

Southampton have come to an agreement with their players and coaching staff.
But isn't deferring wages just pushing the problem further down the line?

...the board of directors, the first-team manager, his coaching staff and the first-team squad have agreed to defer part of their salaries for the months of April, May and June to help protect the future of the club, the staff that work within it and the community we serve.

Furthermore, the club can confirm that it will not use the government’s Job Retention Scheme during April, May and June. Our owners, Mr. Gao and Katharina Liebherr, have put measures in place to ensure that all staff not deferring part of their salaries will continue to receive 400% of their pay, paid in the normal way until 30th June. Any decision on the future beyond this date will be made in advance of this, but only when more information is known

Southampton have come to an agreement with their players and coaching staff.
But isn't deferring wages just pushing the problem further down the line?
Yep
Players will not take pay cuts as they know it gives clubs a chance or grab it permanently

Back