• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

To add :

Which is something i just don't think those who are anti Levy fully appreciate, the stadium - pre build, build, playing at Wembley, delay to moving in, final build cost and final financing put in place - all that encompasses close to a ten year period up to and including 2019, it was a huge undertaking which if mismanaged had the potential to bury the club or set us back decades - it had to take priority over all else and so many people just bat it off as though it was a minor inconvenience and call him a tight unambitious clam because we weren't buying big in the market at the same time.

Well said. Everybody talks about thinking long term but some people think it guarantees short term results too. It doesn't. That's the point. You have to suffer some short term pain and come out the other side stronger than ever. Like we did with Jol after Hoddle. Like we did with Harry after Jol. Like we did with Poch after Harry.

This is long term planning. Yes he neglected the team and I think made mistakes in the last few years. But he is clearly building something that will be bigger and better than we've had before. We'll suffer some short term pain, it's bloody frustrating but I have faith that we are on the right path.

So presumably then you would agree it's unfair to hold our owners to account for the lack of trophies as until the stadium is up and running (now) we haven't been in a position to compete financially with the teams above us?

Yes, I do think it is somewhat unfair to hold our owners to account for the lack of trophies. I think it is a lot more unfair of the owners to hold our manager to account for this though.

To add :

Which is something i just don't think those who are anti Levy fully appreciate, the stadium - pre build, build, playing at Wembley, delay to moving in, final build cost and final financing put in place - all that encompasses close to a ten year period up to and including 2019, it was a huge undertaking which if mismanaged had the potential to bury the club or set us back decades - it had to take priority over all else and so many people just bat it off as though it was a minor inconvenience and call him a tight unambitious clam because we weren't buying big in the market at the same time.
My guess is that we went over budget on the stadium by somewhere between 200 and 300 million quid. It is that 200 to 300 million that could've/would've been spent on the squad over the last 3 years that would've ensured it didn't go so stale. I think now that we're carrying such a ridiculously high level of debt it is probably impossible for the club to take on any more borrowings so when we have a scenario such as Harry Kane getting injured and us not having a single other striker in the squad our hands remain tied and we'll have to trundle along with results suffering.

My guess is that we went over budget on the stadium by somewhere between 200 and 300 million quid. It is that 200 to 300 million that could've/would've been spent on the squad over the last 3 years that would've ensured it didn't go so stale. I think now that we're carrying such a ridiculously high level of debt it is probably impossible for the club to take on any more borrowings so when we have a scenario such as Harry Kane getting injured and us not having a single other striker in the squad our hands remain tied and we'll have to trundle along with results suffering.

Which goes to highlight how important it is to keep a tight run of things when in the midst of such a mamoth project like a stadium build.

He wasn't a tight clam at all. We actually bought 26 players during the Poch era! Record signings as well - Sanchez, Sissoko and latterly LoCelso and NDombele. The problem was identifying and buying the right players to take us forward in that era. We patently didn't.

For me most our problem down to poor recruitment in Pochettino’s last 2 years! It killed him and we are going to pay the price for some while!

Which goes to highlight how important it is to keep a tight run of things when in the midst of such a mamoth project like a stadium build.
But also highlights that under Levy's direct financial management the stadium went hugely over budget and that has impacted our transfer spending significantly. Going over budget by such a large amount on the stadium has clearly led to a drop off in quality of our squad. The question now is whether we will have enough money available over the next few windows to put that right. The fact that a player that we wanted previously and Mourinho admires is looking like heading to Man Utd instead of us indicates to me that we don't have that money to spend in this window). Missing out on the CL next year will also put a big dent in our finances.... Probably £40 to £60 odd million if we make the Europa and £60 to £80 million if we don't even finish high enough for the Europa positions (personally I don't think that we will). This means we will probably have even less to spend next summer than we did last summer, in fact with Lo Celso's purchase on the never never, we might only have funds for only one, or a maximum of two, quality players next summer. A sobering thought.

Of course if Levy and Lewis really loved the club they would take a hit on the huge wealth that they have earned out of the club and allow an investor to buy in by paying down the debt. That would have course be brilliant for Spurs, but would cut down the amount that Mr Levy and Mr Lewis have made out of Spurs to maybe only a paltry billion pounds or so.

But also highlights that under Levy's direct financial management the stadium went hugely over budget and that has impacted our transfer spending significantly. Going over budget by such a large amount on the stadium has clearly led to a drop off in quality of our squad. The question now is whether we will have enough money available over the next few windows to put that right. The fact that a player that we wanted previously and Mourinho admires is looking like heading to Man Utd instead of us indicates to me that we don't have that money to spend in this window). Missing out on the CL next year will also put a big dent in our finances.... Probably £40 to £60 odd million if we make the Europa and £60 to £80 million if we don't even finish high enough for the Europa positions (personally I don't think that we will). This means we will probably have even less to spend next summer than we did last summer, in fact with Lo Celso's purchase on the never never, we might only have funds for only one, or a maximum of two, quality players next summer. A sobering thought.

Of course if Levy and Lewis really loved the club they would take a hit on the huge wealth that they have earned out of the club and allow an investor to buy in by paying down the debt. That would have course be brilliant for Spurs, but would cut down the amount that Mr Levy and Mr Lewis have made out of Spurs to maybe only a paltry billion pounds or so.

Worth remembering that the figures you are working with, with regards to the stadium budget over run are plucked out of thin air and of course that you have no idea what the reasons are as to why it over ran. Personally knowing the construction industry first hand and big projects like stadium builds, overruns and spiraling costs are part and parcel of the game and seldom come down to the client, no matter how easy it easy for rumours of Levy changing his mind on TVs at the last minute and the like are to believe because of a preconceived bias, I believe the stadium build as a project is widely considered a success within the industry and a huge achievement for all involved.

Personally i think the club will have planned to operate on a break even basis in the transfer market during the build and a best case scenario of being in the stadium on time would have seen investment in the team begin that summer, the delay and subsequent year in limbo meant that plan took a hit and unfortunately was a year too long for the team/setup. This summer, having moved in we went from years of 0 net spend to a net spend of 70m, that's no coincidence and is a sign of what is to come now we have a greatly increased turnover with the final costs of the build known and long term repayments in place.

Joe Lewis doesn’t Like football and has no involvement with Tottenham
I’ve had that said to me by a prominent club director
The guy barely even comes to Europe
This is Levy’s baby and that’s it pretty much
Joe Lewis has put into which around £30m and has about 200 times that in real growth
But he makes his money still form his investments in currency and pub chains (Mitchell and Butler) for example

Last edited:
It was not a problem. They were identified. Did you know that a certain person told another person that "Sissoko was like Mane"? True story. But we've been through this, a few times. It happened. We also failed to get Winaldjum over the line. Both wanted in, etc, etc...
The idea that we don't identify quality targets is offtrack. We consistently identify quality players and usually at the time that we could sign them on board the project. Our issue has always been the finance of said deals and whether we are willing to take that financial risk at that point in the players career.

Just in the last few years, Pereira, Dembele (Monaco), Madison, Winajdum, de Light and Mane are just some of the players we've looked at and had extensive scouting reports on. The reason we never finalised any deals for them is not always clear but we knew of them and were interested.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

The idea that we don't identify quality targets is offtrack. We consistently identify quality players and usually at the time that we could sign them on board the project. Our issue has always been the finance of said deals and whether we are willing to take that financial risk at that point in the players career.

Just in the last few years, Pereira, Dembele (Monaco), Madison, Winajdum, de Light and Mane are just some of the players we've looked at and had extensive scouting reports on. The reason we never finalised any deals for them is not always clear but we knew of them and were interested.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

With Mane and Winaldjum it was 100% wages. Deals had been agreed in principle and each player wanted to come to us. De Ligt was always a mystery as it felt like had we really jumped at one moment he was ours; that is one I can only speculate on. As for Madison, I am not sure Poch was fully convinced, unlike Grealish with whom he most certainly was.

With Mane and Winaldjum it was 400% wages. Deals had been agreed in principle and each player wanted to come to us. De Ligt was always a mystery as it felt like had we really jumped at one moment he was ours; that is one I can only speculate on. As for Madison, I am not sure Poch was fully convinced, unlike Grealish with whom he most certainly was.

De Ligt could be gettable again in the summer - Juve are not fans currently.

I've highlighted before that deLigt is young but plays like a mature player - including his pace.
He is slightly faster than verts and its worrisome for someone his age.

Googling save our Spurs to derail a different thread I came across this article from the initial takeover

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/dec/21/newsstory.sport6

loads to pick out, this was an interesting one:

Levy hates publicity and has no desire to take on the chairmanship, preferring instead to find a figurehead and pull the strings in the background.

City analysts who have followed the mediocre performance of Spurs' share price warn he has a lot to do. "He's going to have to spend a lot of money if they're going to catch up with Arsenal," said one analyst. "I just hope he knows how big a job he's got."

Mark Jacob, co-founder of Save Our Spurs, a pressure group formed this season to oust Sugar, said: "We are cautiously optimistic. We would like to thank Mr Sugar for his period of tenure at Tottenham. He put the financial standing of the club on an even keel but unfortunately he was not able to speculate to accumulate.

Finding a media partner is likely to be an urgent priority. Levy believes in the power of the internet and television to generate new revenues for the club and boost Spurs' profile in foreign markets like the Far East and the US. Broadcasters will be encouraged to invest in the club in return for a slice of future television money.

Back