• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Which is irrelevant as we are discussing managerial performance. Under our current manager, it is an outlier.

I thought we were discussing the direction DL has taken versus his general pattern of behaviour when it comes to managers and transfers.

He has chosen this path over the previous, so regardless of what any of us thinks, this is what it is.

For me, the onus now sits on Levy to give Mou whatever he wants. He ditched the previous model for this one so he now needs to give the man whatever he wants. If he wants Fellani, give him Fellani. If he wants the arrogant ancient giant, give him that. He gets who he wants when he wants them, because if he doesn’t, you will see skyward-facing nipples rather quickly in N17.

Daniel has always “won” with previous managers because he can. This is where he has met his match as Mou will not play a single round of Levy chess and neither should he! The man is smart, he has set the table by telling everyone the structure is already in place!

Wait a minute....from the way some people talk on here, you'd think we were at the level of Southend United when Levy and Lewis first came in, as opposed to one of the top 5 most successful clubs in the UK who financially were not that far off some of the other clubs milking that early PL/CL money.....;)

Yes, but a club that the previous administration had made sure was unable to finish in top spots, hence would miss out on a decade or more of CL revenue (that equaled hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue that went to rivals).

Basically at the exact moment that clubs in the right position were able to collect the new combined windfall of PL & CL we were in the worst position, it was what really created the concept of have +have nots in EPL. The difference is the other clubs who missed the boat have never been able to recover, we have.

I thought we were discussing the direction DL has taken versus his general pattern of behaviour when it comes to managers and transfers.

He has chosen this path over the previous, so regardless of what any of us thinks, this is what it is.

For me, the onus now sits on Levy to give Mou whatever he wants. He ditched the previous model for this one so he now needs to give the man whatever he wants. If he wants Fellani, give him Fellani. If he wants the arrogant ancient giant, give him that. He gets who he wants when he wants them, because if he doesn’t, you will see skyward-facing nipples rather quickly in N17.

Daniel has always “won” with previous managers because he can. This is where he has met his match as Mou will not play a single round of Levy chess and neither should he! The man is smart, he has set the table by telling everyone the structure is already in place!

He "won" because it was the right thing to do, both for the club fiscally and because said managers probably weren't the best options to give free reign to (would you have given Redknapp 100M?, Poch got 26 signings and still had half his squad from pre his time 5 years later).

But I expect Levy to change, not because he has suddenly found a new vision, but because the old vision has arrived, our revenue will be up significantly and that will give us more to spend.

He "won" because it was the right thing to do, both for the club fiscally and because said managers probably weren't the best options to give free reign to (would you have given Redknapp 100M?, Poch got 26 signings and still had half his squad from pre his time 5 years later).

But I expect Levy to change, not because he has suddenly found a new vision, but because the old vision has arrived, our revenue will be up significantly and that will give us more to spend.

I didn’t say Levy did not have his reasons (up until this summer when he quite clearly did not) and I have been a staunch supporter of his work overall (this summer being an exception). But he did not give the previous what he wanted when he wanted it this summer beyond one player. That is a fact.

Why do you bring Redknapp up? That is irrelevant to this specific area of the topic.
The one thing we will never know are the details of the players Poch was offered and turned down this summer. Were they players or substitutes? Tough to tell.

The main point I was making is that Levy is used to ruling the roost; he is going to need to
either concede some ground to Mou or he will find it going south fast. And look - maybe he will, maybe it will all be hunky-dory! But it is in his hands more than ever...

No, we're discussing a flippant remark I made in response to the suggestion that Poch couldn't possibly have done better without Levy spending more.

Miraculously, Mourinho is doing better and Levy hasn't spent.

I don’t think Jose’s appointment means the path has changed, the expectation is still that we compete at a financial disadvantage by working advantages elsewhere, we’ve added a world class coach to the world class facilities.

My thoughts as well, Jose would have sat down with Levy before taking the job and would have been told what he can/can not spend. Any other way of looking at it is just wishful thinking.

No, we're discussing a flippant remark I made in response to the suggestion that Poch couldn't possibly have done better without Levy spending more.

Miraculously, Mourinho is doing better and Levy hasn't spent.

I see you doubled-down on the flippancy!

My thoughts as well, Jose would have sat down with Levy before taking the job and would have been told what he can/can not spend. Any other way of looking at it is just wishful thinking.

Nope. Not wishful thinking at all. I hope you’re right for the sake of the club.

It's all an accusation that Levy has held the club back deserves

I'd have to see the original comment.

My personal point is very clear. With M.a.u.r.e.e.n in the hot-seat, new rules are in place and Daniel will have to behave differently. As has been pointed out by others, he has the tools to do so. Who knows? All of this might be redundant and Danny might have agreed to give MouMou Fellani, Ibra and 100 mil in January, followed by Fred and another 100 mill in the summer? In which case, there will be love in N17. But if he doesn't, if he thinks he can enjoy the thrill of the deal through a summer chase to save a few quid with MouMou at the helm? It will go south fast.

What Levy has done for the club is unquestionable massive. That is a different discussion.

My personal point is very clear. With M.a.u.r.e.e.n in the hot-seat, new rules are in place and Daniel will have to behave differently. As has been pointed out by others, he has the tools to do so. Who knows? All of this might be redundant and Danny might have agreed to give MouMou Fellani, Ibra and 100 mil in January, followed by Fred and another 100 mill in the summer? In which case, there will be love in N17. But if he doesn't, if he thinks he can enjoy the thrill of the deal through a summer chase to save a few quid with MouMou at the helm? It will go south fast.

What Levy has done for the club is unquestionable massive. That is a different discussion.

are there?

I think it’s far more likely Jose is the one trying something new than Levy.

My thoughts on this

- Neither Levy or Jose are either unknowns or stupid, and both have very specific reputations
- It absolutely was part of the interview/negotiation process, with certain concessions on either side likely
- The windows of Sessegnon, Lo Celso, N'dombele while also negotiating for Dybala and Fernandes in my opinion is a sign of the future more than the past

There is a couple of Jose's interviews where he specifically mentioned being blown away by Levy's vision for the club and level of detail it went into. I'm quite sure he wouldn't have been impressed by a pitch of we will not buy anyone or only bargain bin finds ..

Truth is, only time will tell but logic says we will see some change.

You can't use one trend to try and legitimise another. In 4 out of 5 matches we've scored 3 or more goals and won. The one occasion where we didn't, we lost. That points very much to the loss being an outlier.
Both are equally valid ways to interpret the stats based on such a small sample size. Yes we won those first two league games but only by the skin of our teeth. It's also the case that the first 'decent' form side we came up against we lost.

By the way I love Jose Mourinho and think he is a world class manager. But I don't believe he is a miracle worker and results are likely to revert back to what they were before his arrival without Levy backing him in the transfer market. Essentially what we were saying for Poch.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop using the word fiscal as if it were synonymous with financial. Fiscal means relating to government or public money (< fiscus, state treasury, public revenue). I'll get on to "begs the question" another time. FFS.

And yes, I have had a drink.

are there?

I think it’s far more likely Jose is the one trying something new than Levy.

Quite. That makes the potential of Northern-facing nipples from a horizontal position even greater! Hope I am wrong. And I am not unhappy with where we are at this moment...

Both are equally valid ways to interpret the stats based on such a small sample size. Yes we won those first two league games but only by the skin of our teeth. It's also the case that the first 'decent' form side we came up against we lost.

By the way I love Jose Mourinho and think he is a world class manager. But I don't believe he is a miracle worker and results are likely to revert back to what they were before his arrival without Levy backing him in the transfer market. Essentially what we were saying for Poch.
Which leads to a belief that these players can't possibly perform well - something I vehemently disagree with. This is a top rate team and a very good squad. There is no reason whatsoever that they shouldn't be keeping up with the top 2 and without being handicapped by Poch's poor start, I fully expect that next season.

Quite. That makes the potential of Northern-facing nipples from a horizontal position even greater! Hope I am wrong. And I am not unhappy with where we are at this moment...

ha, I had to think about that one

If it goes wrong, and it has done with every manager we have employed in the past, he’ll be fired too

Back