1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Howard Webb, 8 Feb 2012.

1. mudshark

mudshark Mitchell Thomas

I'd view it with some trepidation.

2. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Christian Ziege

Daniel, how could you be so careless? :p

thfcsteff and Raziel like this.
  3. Hootnow

Hootnow Mauricio Taricco

You certainly don't have to apologise, I've bored enough of you with walls of text in the last couple of days!

I think I get your viewpoint now. You get frustrated when you hear people call Spurs a cash cow for ENIC and also that they're in it for a quick buck. I totally agree that 19 years on, we are well past 'quick buck territory' and that they clearly do not take money out of Spurs. So I see where you're coming from there. I do think this has made you maybe over-zealous in your replies to some criticisms, which can sometimes be in that general direction (they will eventually sell) without making it seem like they're in for a quick buck.

Thank you for your reply and also thank you for the list of faults. While I don't quite agree that Levy is the Messi of chairmen :D, I will reiterate that I think overall he's done a very good job. And I do think it is interesting that our list of his faults, from two people who may initially seem on opposite ends of the equation, are very similar. Shows the polarising nature of debate on the internet I guess!

Raziel likes this.
  4. Bullet

Bullet Les Ferdinand

We endured decades of drought and building brick by brick, step by step, whilst our neighbours splashed out on a new caravan.

I don't want Spurs to win the odd cup and fade away... I want Spurs to win multiple cups and titles and be right at the top of the PL and CL for decades.

That will only happen if our finances are right, if the stadium and training ground are right, Levy has steadily got us into this position to become a regular at the top table for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2019
  5. Gazza

Gazza Dean Austin

Now all we need is a sugar daddy to splash the cash

6. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Naybet

And for further context, wasn't our market cap. approx. 25 million or so when ENIC bought in?

7. mudshark

mudshark Mitchell Thomas

Come writers and critics, who prophesize with your pen
    And keep your eyes wide, the chance won’t come again
    And don’t speak too soon
    For the wheel’s still in spin
    And there’s no tellin' who that it’s namin'
    For the loser now will be later to win
    For the times they are a-changin'

DeanoAustin likes this.
  8. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Jack Jull

I would agree we are to successful to be sold. The price for us would be to high for most people.

The way for a club on the up to make money would be to explore the China market not the American market. The Chinese have put a lot of money into football, they want their national team to be a success and win a world cup for national prestige. They have put so much money into the training of Chinese players.

A smart person would look to buy a few young Chinese players, the first great Chinese player to be a success in Europe will be a gold mine.

9. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Steffen Iversen

They're really cheap, and they look just like the real thing.

MKSpur likes this.
  10. Raziel

Raziel Nick Barmby

- We own the Korean and to some extent a bit of the Asian market with Son
    - China is different re it's an audience, America pays much higher sponsorship deals (especially for stadiums), Levy is looking to sucker an American company with a 2 for 1 audience

The point about a chinese player stands though ..

11. Nigeyman

Nigeyman Dean Austin

What do you think this is fking hide and seek
    Protects us, keeps us one step ahead of our rivals, most of what he does is for our betterment...thinks about tomorrow not just about today.

best Chairman in the world!

12. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Roman Pavlyuchenko

I agree with you but he's bought an approach that isn't really suited to football. If he'd come in and said, "my plan is a 20 year plan" I'd say most fans would have said "don't f**king bother mate"". It's an approach that isn't unwelcome only in football, the rest of life seems to be the same. To quote the great Freddie Mercury "I want it all, I want it all and I want it now".

That to me is what makes Levy's achievements all the better. He's built a football club on another level to what he inherited in every single way. Slowly but very surely. The infrastructure we have, the team we have, the manager we have and the level of performance have all improved immeasurably. All that's missing is the trophies and Levy has just hired the best man to get us some of those.

13. parklane1

parklane1 Barry Daines

Well i am pretty sure we would not be where we are at this minute in time if it was not for his foresight.

14. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Sebastien Bassong

15. parklane1

parklane1 Barry Daines

16. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Terry Venables

And the thing that is most impressive from what you outline....is just the sheer resilience of the man. To have such a long term plan in this environment and faced by the mindset of many modern supporters he must have rhino skin.

He is basically a brilliant decision maker. He gets the odd one wrong, BUT he gets many more right than most other chairman.

What he probably doesn't do is listen to too much noise. It's distracting and in the most part a waste of time.

17. Craig_J

Craig_J Alan Hutton

His timing of when to change a manager certainly seems decisive and I don’t think there’s been a single time when results haven’t immediately improved.

Perhaps Ramos and Sherwood are the only question marks. But Sherwood was essentially a caretaker boss who still got us up the table eventually and Ramos won our trophy so it’s pretty excusable.

18. DeanoAustin

Think you'd have to question Hoddle and Santini too. Maybe AVB. But the impressive thing is, he's made some pretty big mistakes but none of them have derailed his vision for the club. When he goes, what he'll have left behind for the community and club (i.e. the stadium and training facilities) will be mind blowing. The only thing he's missing is trophies. If he can add some of them through Mourinho, even the detractors will have to change their opinions.

glasgowspur and Craig_J like this.
  19. parklane1

parklane1 Barry Daines

I was over the moon when we gave Glenn the job and if it had not been for Friedel we would have won 2002 cup final, but it goes to show that the best players rarely turn out to be the best managers.

thfcsteff likes this.
  20. DeanoAustin

Yeah me too especially after that Gooner prick. I was sure Hoddle would do well for us because he's got such a great football brain and he is Tottenham. I know the end was night though when Southampton whacked us 4-0 in the cup. Hoddle went on for a while after that but the writing was on the wall. Desperately sad he didn't do it for us.

thfcsteff and StephenH like this.