• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I'm levys biggest fan, but the one common factor in all of this not winning is him.
Does he carry no responsibility?
He has after all employed so very good managers with a history of winning behi d them.

I loved your post we really aren't far from each other on this point. It's not on Levy per se. That's fair to say, ultimately we have lay that at the feet of the manager. I accept that, I'm giving, I'm giving. [emoji38]

We should have won some of those QFs and SFs I accept that. Maybe a real winner manager (that we've never been able to attract before) would have converted. Levy just sometimes contains that manager ability to win or convert.

Jose Mourinho is a totally different prospect so maybe there will be a change in action, earlier completions in the window please. [emoji38]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk
I think part of the problem is that the semi finals and finals tend to be against the best teams in the league. The teams that spend more than us on transfers and wages and thus tend to operate a bigger squad. The fact that the semi's and finals typically come towards the end of the season when you tend to have to be even more reliant on your big squad is also perhaps pertinent?

I think the target for Poch (probably from Levy) was top 4 finishes. Poch could've perhaps sacrificed PL finishes for Cups and had he been a manager in for the short term perhaps he would've done this, but because he thought he was in for the long haul he realised that many years of top 4 finishes brings in the income to enable a bigger and better squad that allows you to compete across multiple competitions as the likes of Emirates Marketing Project can.

I think the thing is, the stadium is an enormous factor in this.

Pre build - we simply didnt have the finances to spend big. And this could easily explain lack of investment at times.
During build - we simply didnt have the finances to spend big. And this could easily explain lack of investment at times.
Post build - that particular constraint isnt only no longer the case, but the opposite.

We no longer have the lack of finances, or the finances going into infrastructure, but actually turning a profit for us and increasing our income.

Im not absolving Levy of errors in the past, he has made some for sure - but I also think for the most part they are understandable.

I also think the point seems to be overlooked - having achieved his magic money tree - why do people seem to expect Levy to continue being as risk averse/tight on the purse strings as he has been in the past?
Our wage to income ratio was running at a paltry 38% in the last set of publicly released accounts, the lowest in the league by some margin. Hopefully we'll see that rise up to the standard mark of 55% that is thought to be optimum. Whether we see that happen or not will tell us whether or not Danny is truly serious about us competing with the big boys.

When you consider prior to Poch's arrival we succeeded in making the Champions League just once, while we have qualified for the competition over each of the last four seasons culminating with an appearance in the final, I think Levy has displayed a lack of class by not allowing Poch to say farewell to the players in person. Would one final visit to the training ground really have caused that many problems for the club?

Purely professional answer, you want the focus on the future not the past, especially when you have a game in 3 days.

I'm levys biggest fan, but the one common factor in all of this not winning is him.
Does he carry no responsibility?
He has after all employed so very good managers with a history of winning behi d them.

You think Levy has any responsibility for losing the CL final last season? mate that is reaching.

It's the same answer to @Finney Is Back, Levy's role is to give the manager the tools to get there (and 22 times we were close enough), a manager' job is to get the team over the line even if the opposition is slightly or much better on paper, it's how you play on the day. And too many days, when it mattered it was exactly like the CL final, going out with a whimper.

Said it before, squad investments really matter in PL (because it's a marathon), but if you get to a certain point in a cup, anyone can win it, and that is up to the manager to drive the squad over the line by motivating, picking right team and tactics and responding during game.

You think Levy has any responsibility for losing the CL final last season? mate that is reaching.

It's the same answer to @Finney Is Back, Levy's role is to give the manager the tools to get there (and 22 times we were close enough), a manager' job is to get the team over the line even if the opposition is slightly or much better on paper, it's how you play on the day. And too many days, when it mattered it was exactly like the CL final, going out with a whimper.

Said it before, squad investments really matter in PL (because it's a marathon), but if you get to a certain point in a cup, anyone can win it, and that is up to the manager to drive the squad over the line by motivating, picking right team and tactics and responding during game.

I never said the CL final specifically.

What I'm asking, as a point for discussion, is as the one common thread through all these missed opportunities at which point is/could be Levy a part of the problem?

I wonder how much did Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen being able to argee a deal with other club in January have to do with the timing of the change.
If even one of them is put back under contract it will be financially worth it for Levy.

I will have understood Levys tactics with his vision of building the club from the ground up forcing his hand to be creative and restricting in the transfer market until we have built and financed for the brilliant infrastructure put in place to date ... but I believe now is the time to prove he was right by backing the manager when the time is right.

Throwing money at it will not work usually unless you have billions to burn but he does now need to spend and not be as restrictive as seen previously. One carling cup is a blemish on his amazing tenure this far.

If he is as ruthless on himself as he has been in his decisions... in future he should be the next in question to leave the club.

Perhaps spurs also need new direction. He though has earned a lot of respect from many.

said it before, squad investments really matter in PL (because it's a marathon), but if you get to a certain point in a cup, anyone can win it, and that is up to the manager to drive the squad over the line by motivating, picking right team and tactics and responding during game.
That is not borne out at all by reality. Mostly the team with the best players wins. That's why even the domestic cups are generally won by the big clubs. It's extremely rare for it to go the way of the underdog.

I never said the CL final specifically.

What I'm asking, as a point for discussion, is as the one common thread through all these missed opportunities at which point is/could be Levy a part of the problem?
Have we ever been in a position to appoint a proven winner? Maybe Ramos? Have we only just reached that position?
Like our players, we've always had to gamble on someone being the next big thing.
Levy's played the long game, and we may only just be getting there. Obviously Mourinho may not be the one, but we are getting there.

I will have understood Levys tactics with his vision of building the club from the ground up forcing his hand to be creative and restricting in the transfer market until we have built and financed for the brilliant infrastructure put in place to date ... but I believe now is the time to prove he was right by backing the manager when the time is right.

Throwing money at it will not work usually unless you have billions to burn but he does now need to spend and not be as restrictive as seen previously. One carling cup is a blemish on his amazing tenure this far.

If he is as ruthless on himself as he has been in his decisions... in future he should be the next in question to leave the club.

Perhaps spurs also need new direction. He though has earned a lot of respect from many.

If you could find better that would be a conversation, just don't see it .. lets use an example

- Poch, good manager, are there better? -> Pep, Jose, Simeone, Allegri, Ancelotti, Conte, Klopp, Wenger, SAF are all managers in and around Poch's time that CV, results, experience would indicate were/are better
- Levy, brilliant chairman, is there better? -> could you find one in the last 20 years that transformed a club financially, structurally, squad and on field results organically to the extent Spurs has? without money doping and cheating?

Listen, everyone has flaws, but Levy is about the best I've seen in my lifetime (I really am struggling to think of someone in the same ballpark)

- When I hear "maybe we should replace Levy", I feel the translation is "fudge this, I want a billionaire to come in and just throw money at the club ala Chelsea and City and I don't give a fudge where the money comes from"
- And this is same group of fans that "want a break from the game" because we fired Poch, it's hypocritical ..

If you want cheat mode on, ok .. that's you. If you want to play the game the right way (on and off the field), you simply are not going to get a better chairman ..

If you could find better that would be a conversation, just don't see it .. lets use an example

- Poch, good manager, are there better? -> Pep, Jose, Simeone, Allegri, Ancelotti, Conte, Klopp, Wenger, SAF are all managers in and around Poch's time that CV, results, experience would indicate were/are better
- Levy, brilliant chairman, is there better? -> could you find one in the last 20 years that transformed a club financially, structurally, squad and on field results organically to the extent Spurs has? without money doping and cheating?

Listen, everyone has flaws, but Levy is about the best I've seen in my lifetime (I really am struggling to think of someone in the same ballpark)

- When I hear "maybe we should replace Levy", I feel the translation is "fudge this, I want a billionaire to come in and just throw money at the club ala Chelsea and City and I don't give a fudge where the money comes from"
- And this is same group of fans that "want a break from the game" because we fired Poch, it's hypocritical ..

If you want cheat mode on, ok .. that's you. If you want to play the game the right way (on and off the field), you simply are not going to get a better chairman ..

And how many of those managers would have taken the spurs job when we appointed poch? None, and it's laughable to suggest otherwise.
We did not know it at the time, but poch was the manager for our situation we could get.

You talk about cheat mode, some of those managers you named have never worked or won anything under anything but cheat mode.

SAF, is a winner, I watched him at Aberdeen and it was obvious. But let's remember that he was one game away from the sack, it took him what 5/6 years, a ton of cash and a well developed youth academy to turn around one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I've defended levy on here and even though I have doubts about what he has done I don't know the whole story so I will assume he is doing what he thinks is best for the club and continue to defend him, that's all we can and I think he has proven that he gets a lot more right than wrong.
He is undoubtedly the best chairman we could have.

And how many of those managers would have taken the spurs job when we appointed poch? None, and it's laughable to suggest otherwise.
We did not know it at the time, but poch was the manager for our situation we could get.

You talk about cheat mode, some of those managers you named have never worked or won anything under anything but cheat mode.

SAF, is a winner, I watched him at Aberdeen and it was obvious. But let's remember that he was one game away from the sack, it took him what 5/6 years, a ton of cash and a well developed youth academy to turn around one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I've defended levy on here and even though I have doubts about what he has done I don't know the whole story so I will assume he is doing what he thinks is best for the club and continue to defend him, that's all we can and I think he has proven that he gets a lot more right than wrong.
He is undoubtedly the best chairman we could have.

Did you totally miss the point? it wasn't a comment on Poch. to clarify

- People talk about replacing Levy, my point is with fudging who, find one/two examples of a better chairman and maybe it would sound like anything than a spoilt child not getting what they want.

Not sure about that. Maybe off the field but on the field, he is poor ! 18 years as chairman, 11 managers and 1 trophy, remember !

- And I addressed this, we have been to a QF/SF or Final 22 times under Levy's stewardship, I actually believe we hold the record for FA cup SF appearances without getting to final. As usual no one wants to admit BMJ, Harry & Poch should have done better on the day. And I will use last year as an example, are you going to blame Levy because Kane played instead of Moura? because the team seemed flat? because we didn't adapt and put pressure on pool earlier?

And I'll aggravate people again, but same squad, same CL final with Jose as manager, I know where I would put my money and that's why the number of cups is not all on Levy

My bigger problem with fans in general is the inability to make connections, specifically

- buy, buy, buy, just pay x player whatever salary we want, just refresh entire squad, give away the players who don't want to be here

and at exactly the same time

- the tickets are too expensive, why would I buy a kit at that price? the modern game is locking the "true fan" out, fudge the prawn sandwich folks
No helicopter view...no joined up thinking...it's rife mate.

Immediate expectations, blame game, simplistic viewpoints, never happy, should have...should have...would have.., the man is the best in the business and it's downright disrespectful to wash over what he has done (a transition that hardly any other club has done or dares too) just basically because he 'didnt get the cheque book out' when you wanted him too.

Back