• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/comment/whats-deal-asthma-pro-cycling-223300

Well worth a read for anyone interested in sport, doping and health... I shall copy and paste some of they key bits for those to lazy to click the link, 21% of the British Olympic team has Asthma.

CW: Tell us about terbutaline

Dr John dingdonginson: Terbutaline is a drug classified as a beta-2 agonist that athletes may use to treat asthma. There are lots of different types of beta-2 agonist available for medical use, but only four of them are allowed to be used by athletes: salmeterol,salbutamol, formoterol and terbutaline. The odd thing about Simon Yates’s case is that terbutaline is the only one of the four that requires a therapeutic use exemption (TUE). Partly for this reason, it is far less commonly used by athletes.

Why is it the only one for which a TUE is required?

This is because there are different ways you can take beta-2 agonists: inhaled form or orally in pill form. Salmeterol doesn’t have an oral form; when testing for salbutamol and formoterol, you can distinguish between an inhaled dose and an orally ingested dose – but you can’t with terbutaline.

What’s the maximum dosage?

With terbutaline, you have to submit a TUE to prove that you have asthma. The controversial part is that once you have your TUE you can use as much as you like. A doctor would normally prescribe a therapeutic dosage, which would not normally be performance-enhancing, but there is nothing from that point to stop the athlete taking larger doses.

Is it performance-enhancing?

There is evidence emerging that large doses of terbutaline in inhaled form may improve sprint and power performance, but there is no strong evidence to suggest they would improve endurance performance. From a performance-enhancement point of view, these drugs don’t improve lung function. They are called beta-2 agonists because they act directly on beta-2 adrenoreceptors in the muscle, which improves the strength and power produced in each muscle contraction. It works in a similar way to adrenaline. Essentially you’re getting better adaptations in sprinting and power performance. From an endurance point of view for a cyclist, there are not many gains to be had.

What is the prevalence of asthma among elite sportspeople?

In terms of the research we have done, around 21 per cent of the British Olympic team were using an inhaler. It’s higher in sports with a high aerobic element such as cycling and swimming. Some reports suggest that around 40 per cent of British Olympic cyclists use an inhaler, and it’s similar in other sports that have a high ventilatory requirement.

Why such a high proportion?

Athletes are more susceptible to asthma than the general population. The reason is that when you’re exercising you’re breathing in larger volumes of air, which, if you are susceptible, increases the dose of potential triggers for an asthma response. In cycling, you increase the amount of dry air going into your airway; and out on the road there is air pollution as well. Therefore you are more likely to trigger an inflammatory response, which is likely to cause asthma symptoms. Athletes increase their exposure, so they increase the chances of developing the condition.

p5pb13957455.jpg

Redbull_Hardline_27.jpg

Flying out to Qatar tonight with my mate, couple of days by the pool and a few short rides first thing in the morning then we will be eyes for the weekend to see who is going to be the new world champion. Despite Brailsford being a taco my love for cycling is undiminished.

Norways Kristoffer Halvorsen predictably won the U-23 gold. Now it's up to the seniors to repeat that on Sunday. Great place to host a world championship! 40 degress hot and zero spectators. #success

Who cares if you can pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump
your legs a million times

This is real skill and guts

was happy for Sagan he really is already one of the all time greats happy to have seen him.

To me cab proved how amazing he is even being up there, not many pure small sprinters can do that.

Going up north to Yorkshire hope the Yates boys can do something when the world's is there. Usually don't go north of London because of the general scummyness of it in the north but will make an exception for the cycling.

Had my Specialized bike stolen last night, it was double locked in a supposed secure bike shed

My neighbours saw some lowlife hanging around the shed at 10.45pm I was in bed

They went out and confronted the man, rang the police who shock horror did nothing said they would try to come round later on but didn't as were obviously far too busy eating jaffa cakes, the bloke obviously hung around a bit longer and then stole mine and another bike too

Magic

Had my Specialized bike stolen last night, it was double locked in a supposed secure bike shed

My neighbours saw some lowlife hanging around the shed at 10.45pm I was in bed

They went out and confronted the man, rang the police who shock horror did nothing said they would try to come round later on but didn't as were obviously far too busy eating jaffa cakes, the bloke obviously hung around a bit longer and then stole mine and another bike too

Magic

Did they leave the stabilizers?

Joking aside did you have insurance, I know it is not right anyway but at least you will be able to get it replaced.

I rang the Police, they hardly asked me even any details, zero interest from them
It's obviously ok to steal people's property these days, cretins

Put the word out to local bike shops, and scour ebay etc. I've got a mate who runs a bike shop who says he always gets idiots bringing in 'their' bike to sell.

Back