• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

could be complete with just one mega signing?

metalgear

Nayim
we didn't do too badly last season, considering that we had injuries to key players. next season we've got a cohort of proven young ones that we can recall from loan e.g. townsend, rose that will help fill gaps at LB and RW, and we haven't fully utilized holtby and siggy yet.

coming back from injuries - sandro, kaboul just makes us stronger through the spine. not to mention caulker and parker. up front Bale should be classified as AM/striker but yes we need to upgrade on ade and defoe to take the pressure off him.

the jackson martinez 30 mil euros rumour just got me thinking - could it be a valid strategy, that since we have two ageing strikers up front, we could just spunk our entire transfer budget on a single player and we could be a force to be reckoned? or maybe a creative midfield player?

i guess the question is whether we get better returns taking that risk on spending a lot of money on one quality player, as opposed to spreading our transfer budget out across many average players (albeit with potential). we seem to be quite a good team already. maybe its time to take that risk.

I think we have to sign atleast 1 big-name player to show our ambition to Bale. We need to convince Bale that we can fight for honours next season, not just aim for a top 4 place. But it will be very difficult to sign any top quality players because next season being the World Cup year. You can bet all the players will want to play regularly at the top level like CL to fight for their place in the World Cup squad. If we end up not signing anyone, the return of Sandro and Kaboul will be very crucial for us. We can only hope players like Dembele, Dempsey, Sigurdsson and Holtby would have matured more after spending a year at Spurs.

I prefer a smaller squad with a stronger starting XI than a larger but diluted squad with a lot of utility players. I don't think we need a 30m+ proven mega-signing, but to sustain our future we need to sign at least one or two on the list of 'first team' 19-23 year old hot prospects (Bernard, Dzagoev, Lamela, Draxler, Maher, Rodrigo etc) who will probably still cost 20m+ plus add-ons/sell-ons each and an entire summer of angst before an oil club gazumps us at the last second. Then one or two on the super-young, super-unproven list who can't go into the first team just yet like Will Hughes, Rebic, Can, Cornelius etc.

In the long term, even at 20m+ I think they will still rise in value compared to players like McCarthy or Ince, who are slightly cheaper but less good and will never break the superstar barrier. I argue that foreign prospects are also easier to sell later on since they are willing to go outside the PL, where we would be happier to sell anyways.

Basically, we're not going to get away with targeting ideal contract situations this time :lol:

David Villa would keep me happy

As long as we don't get Sandro injured again we have decent options in most other positions.

One injury or suspension to Sandro or Dembele and we would be playing Parker, Huddlestone, Carroll or Holtby in central midfield?

That doesn't sound like "complete" to me.

One injury or suspension to Sandro or Dembele and we would be playing Parker, Huddlestone, Carroll or Holtby in central midfield?

That doesn't sound like "complete" to me.

When Thudd came on against West Ham and from then on until the end of the season I thought he made a positive difference.

We don't need a mega signing. We just need all our incoming players to be signed, sealed and delivered before the season kicks off. We probably won't get top four this season, but if we wait until transfer deadline day to sign players then we definitely won't get 4th unless the fixture list is amazingly kind to us for the first two or three games.

In ways, yes, e.g. had we signed RVP last year (yes, never would have happened, but as example), we would have probably been 2nd.

Challenge is very rarely do you know if that mega signing is going to click instantly, and stay injury free.

Thing we have to remember is we are likely to get Sandro and Kaboul back (almost like two new signings), add a top tier player to that and keep Bale, we should have a decent shot at top 4.

some positives for us next season:
- 2nd year for AVB's football tactics, and a full year of learnings for the coaches
- sandro and kaboul coming back - like new first team signings
- caulker, holtby, siggy can continue getting better and better
- return of rose and townsend - also like new first team signings, provides depth
- (don't think our strikers can get any worse!)

Back