• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

The twitter spread images asking what’s the difference between flu killing more and not a worry isn’t the picture. It’s the rate and it is more dangerous to average joe than Flu. It’s also in its first strain and could manifest into worse, that’s the worry.

The effect on business is huge and is set to get worse. There are huge worries that many organisations are going to global crisis and that means grinding to halt. Also a worry for supply chain.

we have lost 10m so far and it’s getting nag worse by the day.

What's the route of this. Is it something that has jumped species?

Also humans must be producing antibodies and hence fighting off and recovering from the virus.

Rather get answers from you lot than trawl Twitter etc.

(think there's a compliment in there somewhere:D)

The most widely believed opinion is it came from a live animal market in Wuhan (selling wild bats and GHod knows what else). However I don’t think this has been proved to be absolutely certain - main reason being the first cases came from there.

There is a bio research facility in Wuhan which leads to conspiracy theories. They also apparently sell tested on animals to markets leading to more tin foil.

Also humans must be producing antibodies and hence fighting off and recovering from the virus.

Apparently some people are getting it more than once. It could be a case of “all clear” tests being inaccurate or it means it could be staying in their system and then flaring up again, simply not lead to enough antibodies, or be a retrovirus that stays in your DNA.

Ha! Most of this is from Twitter, but are the more conservative opinions that seem to be backed up. Some of the stuff on there is just mental.

it probably needs to have more cases in the Western world to get accurate data/info.

We've just had a Covid-19 webinar at work.
Yes, it is believed to have begun in animals - they are not sure exactly which animal yet but Pangolin is currently the main suspect.
The transmission to humans is thought to have taken place at the Wuhan market. Presumably it jumps animal to animal first before getting humans via whatever animal "delicacy" is being consumed.

ER-BvOKU0AU8GjL

The eyes of darkness
Dean Koontz

Nature/The Earth: Here's yet another sign for you that harvesting and eating the rotting flesh and secretions of other species isn't suitable or required for human animals

The Human Race, an intellectual: Bacon tho....

Another problem with this virus is it is novel, and there are no blocks in the population so anyone can catch it and pass it on.

It seems fairly likely we will all be exposed to it eventually. The elderly are the ones looking at a bleak outlook, 15% case mortality for over 80’s (so I have read)

So I’ll be observing all recommended protocols not just for myself but for fear of passing it onto my parents and other elderly friends.

My wife’s Mum died of pneumonia from seasonal flu last year - and this is apparently many many times more likely to lead to that sort of complication.

Reading this it looks like it will be endemic

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

Worth reading the whole article but the relevant bit is:

Lipsitch predicts that within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said. As with influenza, which is often life-threatening to people with chronic health conditions and of older age, most cases pass without medical care. (Overall, about 14 percent of people with influenza have no symptoms.)

Lipsitch is far from alone in his belief that this virus will continue to spread widely. The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”​

Reading this it looks like it will be endemic

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

Worth reading the whole article but the relevant bit is:

Lipsitch predicts that within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said. As with influenza, which is often life-threatening to people with chronic health conditions and of older age, most cases pass without medical care. (Overall, about 14 percent of people with influenza have no symptoms.)

Lipsitch is far from alone in his belief that this virus will continue to spread widely. The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”​
Always check your sauces.

The paper quoted in that article, suggesting that Lipsitch isn't a single data point is actually outlining the case as what would happen if no measures to halt the progress of the disease are taken. It's in their own summary, and that's clearly not a real world example.

When journalists misquote papers like that, my instant assumption is that they either don't know what they're talking about or they have intentionally misrepresented it for the purposes of sensationalism.

Last edited:
When journalists misquote papers like that, my instant assumption is that they either don't know what they're talking about or they have intentionally misrepresented it for the purposes of sensationalism.

And there’s an awful lot of sensationalism going on in the media at the moment. Sky News obviously think this virus is the greatest thing since...well, Brexit.

Always check your sauces.

The paper quoted in that article, suggesting that Lipsitch isn't a single data point is actually outlining the case as what would happen if no measures to halt the progress of the disease are taken. It's in their own summary, and that's clearly not a real world example.

I like brown sauce on my bacon.

And there’s an awful lot of sensationalism going on in the media at the moment. Sky News obviously think this virus is the greatest thing since...well, Brexit.

I remember being absolutely sickened and appalled by their reaction to a particular terrorist attack a few years ago. I no longer watch Sky news and haven't for a while, but it doesn't sound as if they've changed in the slightest.

All 1,000+ UK employees from my firm have got to stay at home on Thursday and do a full Citrix test
With how brick our IT is I can see that test failing massively

Back