• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Agree that the questions have been at kindergarten level. Laura Kunsberg is the worst - and it’s a very very low bar.

He must be scaring the brick out the nurses he’s talking to in the normal ward he’s just been moved to then.:D

Is a double. Trump has put his own man in there.

The journo section does my head in, they are all falling over themselves to try and show more disdain for the government than the one before them!

Waste of space same old flimflam questions, those in power must be sick to death of the same brick asked everyday.

Seen two separate tv news pieces today, one on Australia and one on New Zealand, with similar themes - very low death rates in comparison to european nations. The commentators in both cases seemed to give a lot of the credit for this to (among other factors) strong border restrictions enacted earlier in the piece. This in my view was one of our government's clearest errors.

I do wonder however if the commentators aren't missing another rather obvious factor that I didn't hear mentioned - the seasonal difference?

What is the current thinking on the likely seasonality of the virus?

Don't think anyone knows, some evidence it may be less impactful but could just be because more people are outdoors

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/scientists-ask-could-summer-heat-help-beat-covid-19
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52121376

Seen two separate tv news pieces today, one on Australia and one on New Zealand, with similar themes - very low death rates in comparison to european nations. The commentators in both cases seemed to give a lot of the credit for this to (among other factors) strong border restrictions enacted earlier in the piece. This in my view was one of our government's clearest errors.

I do wonder however if the commentators aren't missing another rather obvious factor that I didn't hear mentioned - the seasonal difference?

What is the current thinking on the likely seasonality of the virus?
I think the biggest difference is that fact that both countries are mainly sheep in massive empty spaces.

I think the biggest difference is that fact that both countries are mainly sheep in massive empty spaces.

Doesn’t help to explain Singapore’s good figures. Or South Korea’s.

It would be interesting to see some countries from around the world’s figures - other than European one’s - plotted on the government’s graphs at the 5.00pm briefings. I’m not holding my breath though.

Mind you, the way our numbers are going they are soon going to drop even those graphs. Much better to focus on the ones that show that fewer train and car journeys are being made. It’s always good to spend the first 5 minutes of every briefing looking at those; then five minutes on whether Boris is still in good spirits (has anyone ever been in and out of an ICU so quickly Am I the only one who is suspicious?), before quickly glossing over that another thousand people have died.

In fact, I wonder if that’s where Priti is - in charge of creating nice transport graphs back at Conservative HQ?

My friend's sister has just been admitted to hospital at the 5th... yes 5th time trying including 3 ambulance trips. Until now despite having fever, cough, struggling to breath she has not been tested for covid-19. This is despite her scan showing she has an infection on both lungs

This is a shambles.

It would be interesting to see some countries from around the world’s figures - other than European one’s - plotted on the government’s graphs at the 5.00pm briefings. I’m not holding my breath though.

Mind you, the way our numbers are going they are soon going to drop even those graphs. Much better to focus on the ones that show that fewer train and car journeys are being made. It’s always good to spend the first 5 minutes of every briefing looking at those; then five minutes on whether Boris is still in good spirits (has anyone ever been in and out of an ICU so quickly Am I the only one who is suspicious?), before quickly glossing over that another thousand people have died.

In fact, I wonder if that’s where Priti is - in charge of creating nice transport graphs back at Conservative HQ?

I dont know anyone who watches them. I dont, why would you want to watch it. Sit back and wait till its all over, it will come up on the internet you dont need to waste time watching cack.

My friend's sister has just been admitted to hospital at the 5th... yes 5th time trying including 3 ambulance trips. Until now despite having fever, cough, struggling to breath she has not been tested for covid-19. This is despite her scan showing she has an infection on both lungs

This is a shambles.
Why bother testing? Sounds like she has it.

The Asian countries were trained and prepared for a situation like this, because of the SARS virus pandemic a few years ago. And they have a very good health care and hospitals.

The Asian countries were trained and prepared for a situation like this, because of the SARS virus pandemic a few years ago. And they have a very good health care and hospitals.

I was speaking with a colleague in Hong Kong who was explaining that they didn't (originally*) have a lock-down as such. Yes schools were closed and offices closed where possible. But restaurants, bars, coffee shops etc. remained open. People were not instructed to stay at home, but most generally did anyway because of memories of SARS. So not so much being obedient to instruction (not something HK has been big on recently anyway) rather acting on previous experience.

*I think things are changing there now due to people returning from Europe with the virus.

Most of their (human) populations, particularly Australia live in major cities yet based on the figures I've seen, between them they're reporting a fraction of the death numbers of Ireland. I think it's worth trying to be as certain as possible of the reasons behind that.

I have a Taiwanese friend who was warning about the seriousness of this situation from the very beginning, referencing SARS. No doubt it prompted them to be much quicker off the blocks than the rest of the world.

I have a Taiwanese friend who was warning about the seriousness of this situation from the very beginning, referencing SARS. No doubt it prompted them to be much quicker off the blocks than the rest of the world.

I think Taiwan were taking preventative measures even before Wuhan was put in lockdown.

Most of their (human) populations, particularly Australia live in major cities yet based on the figures I've seen, between them they're reporting a fraction of the death numbers of Ireland. I think it's worth trying to be as certain as possible of the reasons behind that.

Good leadership is probably the main one. Unfortunately we’ve got a man in charge who is half-arsed about everything he does - including responses to pandemics.

This is a shambles.

Hope she is feeling much better soon.

Back