• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

The policies will come with acceptance of the framework (the GND in the USA for instance), and the political will to enforce it will be driven by public demand. The 'how to' is pretty much known in every sector except maybe aviation. We are now really getting to the point where climate will invade every discussion in society. The government can no longer deal with climate as a separate bullet point. It will be all-encompassing and the cost of inaction will be far higher in the medium to long term.

For your own sanity you do need to divorce the efforts of an individual from the efforts of business/state/EU though or it gets a little muddled. Not to put too fine a point on it, nothing you can do will make that much of a difference really. Yes every little helps but the problem is at a scale that needs to be dealt with at the state level. In my opinion the best way you can really effect things is via your vote and voice (but please do the other things too :).

Those questions from that LBC interview sound a little misinformed. For instance, ground source heat pumps are not practical so any advice in that direction is frankly wrong, in a domestic situation at least. Air source heat pumps are suitable for most domestic situations and certainly a lot cheaper (though still not cheap enough yet IMO). There are a lot of complexities in an around heat pumps which I won't go into, but the rule of thumb is that you'll get at least 3 units of heat per unit of electricity consumed in the heat pump, so the higher price of electricity is more than counteracted by the efficiency of the system. In short, running a heat pump is far cheaper than a gas boiler in a well-insulated house, though they work less well in old houses.

I think they go hand in hand, similar to Brexit in many ways where people say if you want a certain deal then spell out how to achieve it. The 'How To' might be known but that doesn't mean enough people will be willing to accept it, if people want to push a green agenda then they should also expect their position to be under scrutiny and when challenged they should come up with answers and policy proposals rather than we'll look into various things. The world is far too advanced for that type of on the fence answer now.

And therein lies the rub, the UK has a very old housing stock that isn't well insulated. I'd estimate over half the housing stock is around the EPC D for instance. Again the answers shouldn't be mis-informed, it was a green party MEP in the hot seat who should be well versed in explaining their one and only policy.

Can we list the most damaging/ climate changing human activities?

I agree with Mr PD, it would be good to have more info. A global manifesto on what to do. Let’s face it some will not be able to give up flying, driving fast cars (me [emoji28]) but there are other things we can do.

And as a species we’re pretty fuking clever. In the west we’re affluent, with supreme technology. Why the hell cant we take faster more effective action to at least try to slow down something that could fry our grandchildren?

If we put our mind to it, we can make change. Let’s hope we pick up the baton before it’s too late. And PD is right, everyone wants to do right. There is a lack of clarity on what individuals must do and a lack of inter-governmental action and leadership.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think they go hand in hand, similar to Brexit in many ways where people say if you want a certain deal then spell out how to achieve it. The 'How To' might be known but that doesn't mean enough people will be willing to accept it, if people want to push a green agenda then they should also expect their position to be under scrutiny and when challenged they should come up with answers and policy proposals rather than we'll look into various things. The world is far too advanced for that type of on the fence answer now.

And therein lies the rub, the UK has a very old housing stock that isn't well insulated. I'd estimate over half the housing stock is around the EPC D for instance. Again the answers shouldn't be mis-informed, it was a green party MEP in the hot seat who should be well versed in explaining their one and only policy.
The framework must come before the policies - this is what we want, and here are the policies to achieve it. I could send you literally thousands of detailed technical solutions to solve the myriad of individual issues. How to achieve climate goals is not the problem. The problem is the UK is not focused on this issue the way other countries are.

Amazingly the environment is the top issue in the US now (after Trump) and who would have thought that would be the case even a few years ago. There are many reason for this but one of them is that they are feeling the foreshadow of climate change with each climate disaster that hits them. Each of the democratic primary candidates has detailed policy documents around this topic and some of them like J.Inslee's were quite incredible. So much so that Warren has taken Inslee's policy ideas on as part of her own platform, which is amazing in itself. So there is no pushing an agenda on climate change any more in the US. That conversation is over as far as most are concerned. Now there is only how to mitigate against the worse of the effects, and the message is you're either on board with this or not (not you personally ;)). Needless to say, Trump is not on board.

As for UK politics, it is paralysed with one single issue for the last 3 years. It is disappointing on so many levels but mostly because it is time lost. The rest of the world has moved the conversation on while the UK has fudged around with Brexit. Maybe if this went away UK politics could get their act together but this conversation is not happening now.

You are right, a green MEP should be more knowledgeable on this stuff though it can get a bit involved in fairness. There is no one size fits all solution but upgrading housing stock is not rocket science, and it is perfectly achievable.

The reality is climatic chemistry is highly complex and we don’t understand it. What we know is the word is heating up. We need to try something, and fast. Cutting emissions makes sense.

Can we list the most damaging/ climate change human activities?

I agree with Mr PD, it would be good to have more info. A global manifesto on what to do. Let’s face it some will not be able to give up flying, driving fast cars (me [emoji28]) but there are other things we can do.

And as a species we’re pretty fuking clever. In the best we’re affluent, with supreme technology. Why the hell cant we take faster more effective action to at least try to slow down something that could fry our grandchildren?

If we put our mind to it, we can make change. Let’s hop we pick up the baton before it’s too late. And PD is right, everyone wants to do right. There is a lack of clarity on what individuals must do and a lack of inter-governmental action and leadership.

Project drawdown has a good list of the top 100 issues, all conveniently costed and backed up by data and research. There are plenty of others doing something similar, but the guys behind this website/book have done a remarkable job.
https://www.drawdown.org/solutions

It is political will that is missing. Not the solutions.

They need to stop shipping that 14 year old who blatantly has learning difficulties round the world, its all abit sick

Must resist urge to take troll bait. :p

She is a 16 year old (corrected myself) who has lost her youth due to heavy parent coaching and its all abit strange. Her message is great, the fact she is being used as a mascot for the cause does not sit well with me TBH.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/my-love-hate-relationship-with-greta-thunberg/

"On the other hand, I find the cult surrounding Greta quite nauseating. She is treated like a mascot. And Greta herself is probably doing some damage to her cause. First of all, she is very dogmatic in her approach and her rather sour preaching is not a good way to win over those who aren’t converted to your cause. As the old saying goes, ‘you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.’ I think Greta is turning off people who are not 100 per cent responsive to her message and who are not completely converted to her cause. Then of course there is the double-standards of her publicity stunts: yes she crossed the Atlantic in a sailboat to reduce carbon emissions, but of course the crew returned by a carbon-spewing commercial aircraft"

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/my-love-hate-relationship-with-greta-thunberg/

"On the other hand, I find the cult surrounding Greta quite nauseating. She is treated like a mascot. And Greta herself is probably doing some damage to her cause. First of all, she is very dogmatic in her approach and her rather sour preaching is not a good way to win over those who aren’t converted to your cause. As the old saying goes, ‘you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.’ I think Greta is turning off people who are not 100 per cent responsive to her message and who are not completely converted to her cause. Then of course there is the double-standards of her publicity stunts: yes she crossed the Atlantic in a sailboat to reduce carbon emissions, but of course the crew returned by a carbon-spewing commercial aircraft"

Did you see all the protests last Friday? City Square after City Square all over the world filled with people supporting her school strike. I'm not sure how that's damaging her cause, to be honest. Say what you will about activism, but she's getting her message across quite well, if you ask me. :)

Did you see all the protests last Friday? City Square after City Square all over the world filled with people supporting her school strike. I'm not sure how that's damaging her cause, to be honest. Say what you will about activism, but she's getting her message across quite well, if you ask me. :)

I posted an article not my view.

I do think she is being used as a mascot and for a 16 year old its abit OTT in my opinion.

Plus i maintain her childhood has not been robbed

People need to stop the jibba jabba and think of their children and grandchildren!
It's their world!

I do, don't need a lecture or gimmicks for it though and def don't need a little indoctrinated girl telling me her childhoods been ruined, it really has not.

Make the point, make the valid points, lets not sail into NYC as your crew fly round the world.

People are fudging the facts and the story for their own ego and popularity.

I do, don't need a lecture or gimmicks for it though and def don't need a little indoctrinated girl telling me her childhoods been ruined, it really has not.

Make the point, make the valid points, lets not sail into NYC as your crew fly round the world.

You tell’um big man!

I posted an article not my view.

I do think she is being used as a mascot and for a 16 year old its abit OTT in my opinion.

Plus i maintain her childhood has not been robbed

I obviously don't know her or her situation well enough to say anything reasonable on the matter, but I see a lot of this stuff coming from the side opposing her - saying she's being used as a mascot. How do you know that? Sounds like a cheap shot at undermining her and her message, if you ask me. The climate scientists are quite clear, we're boiling the world, and it's going to go straight to hell if we don't do something massive about it, and fast. Attacking this young girl for being, young and angry, is beyond the point, really.

Last edited:

Clearly other people do need that gimmick though, she is having an effect.

The crew are not flying on a plane that wouldn't be in the air anyway.

Clearly other people do need that gimmick though, she is having an effect.

The crew are not flying on a plane that wouldn't be in the air anyway.

But what message does it send out, sailed across the Atlantic in a non recylcable carbon fibre boat. Had 6 crew who had to fly home from New York who are going to be replaced by 6 more who are flying in to sail her home. I think this shows the huge difficulty with reducing emissions without restricting choice and that's ultimaetly what climate change will come down too - do peope believe enough in the cause to restrict their own lifestyle.

And if thats the answer that the plane is flying anyway then why would another bother to reduce flying as unless you go by private jet commerical aircraft will continue to fly.

But what message does it send out, sailed across the Atlantic in a non recylcable carbon fibre boat. Had 6 crew who had to fly home from New York who are going to be replaced by 6 more who are flying in to sail her home. I think this shows the huge difficulty with reducing emissions without restricting choice and that's ultimaetly what climate change will come down too - do peope believe enough in the cause to restrict their own lifestyle.

And if thats the answer that the plane is flying anyway then why would another bother to reduce flying as unless you go by private jet commerical aircraft will continue to fly.

in this case, I'd say the symbolism of the journey is more important than the technicalities

the answer, in my opinion, won't be to stop the things we do, but to have technology enable the same possibilities without the carbon emissions

Back