• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

Was meaning to come back to this and ask what are the most damaging human activities. What are the most effective things we can do/change individually? Now its in the politics thread is a good time to ask.

Also is an old used car with a big engine better or worse for the environment than a new effecient one?

Last edited:
Was meaning to come back to this and ask what are the most damaging human activities. What are the most effective things we can do/change individually?

Now its in the politics thread is a good time to ask.

Also is an old used car with a big engine better or worse for the environment than a new effecient one?
Worse. Get an electric car anyway. They are far better ;)

It won't be better for the track day I'm going to Spa for in August.

Even the "good" electric cars won't do more than a couple of hot laps before crippling themselves. None of them would make it there at anything like a decent speed without stopping a few times en route.

So I'd have to own an electric car and a real car either to tow the electric car and carry a spare set of batteries/a generator or to leave the electric car at home and take the real car with me.

I don't imagine that's very good for the environment.

It won't be better for the track day I'm going to Spa for in August.

Even the "good" electric cars won't do more than a couple of hot laps before crippling themselves. None of them would make it there at anything like a decent speed without stopping a few times en route.

So I'd have to own an electric car and a real car either to tow the electric car and carry a spare set of batteries/a generator or to leave the electric car at home and take the real car with me.

I don't imagine that's very good for the environment.
I knew you'd bite. All bollox by the way.

What about all the metal, batteries, plastics, trasportation and production emmissions that you are bringing into the world with a new car? I've never bought a new car. I like older cars - better value and less waste. But they do tend to have less effecient engines. Have seen people put electric engines into old machinary, but for something like an air cooled 911 that would be sacrilege.

Last edited:
What about all the metal, batteries plastics that you are bringing into the world on a new car? I've never bought a new car, I like older cars - better value and less waste. But they do tend to have less effecient engines. Have seen people put electric engines into old machinary, but for something like an air cooled 911 that would be sacrilege.
Electric cars have fewer parts than a combustion engine car (and far fewer things that can go wrong). Buy a 2nd hand car if you are that way inclined, I did. There are always going to be petrol heads that are wedded to the petrol cars but I predict there will be more electric vehicles on the road than petrol ones in about 10 years.

You couldn't put an electric motor in a car not designed for it as the battery is too big.

What about all the metal, batteries, plastics, trasportation and production emmissions that you are bringing into the world on a new car? I've never bought a new car. I like older cars - better value and less waste. But they do tend to have less effecient engines. Have seen people put electric engines into old machinary, but for something like an air cooled 911 that would be sacrilege.

I fundamentally think 'make do and mend' is a better environmental principle than regular 'upgrading'. My car is 18 years old with 130k on the clock, but I'll keep it going as long as it is reliable.

At work I tend to print rather than have a 2nd portable computer, because I think that's better environmentally that the 100 odd elements and chemicals needed to build the device.

Saying that, I have just binned 20 odd working old lightbulbs and gone LED throughout (the 10% comparable power usage was just too much a difference to justify letting them see out their lifespan).

Electric cars have fewer parts than a combustion engine car (and far fewer things that can go wrong). Buy a 2nd hand car if you are that way inclined, I did. There are always going to be petrol heads that are wedded to the petrol cars but I predict there will be more electric vehicles on the road than petrol ones in about 10 years.

You couldn't put an electric motor in a car not designed for it as the battery is too big.

Anything electrical is fundamentally less reliable than an equivalent mechanical thing. Water is obviously kryptonite to anything electrical, and cars are far from hermetically sealed from the elements

My big concern is anything driven by planned obsolescence - i.e. driven to by maximising profit to be unsustainable.

I do appreciate electric cars will be the future, but they need to get a full charge time down to under 5 minutes. Otherwise we are back to the days of horses where to do long journeys you had to exchange them at regular intervals.

Anything electrical is fundamentally less reliable than an equivalent mechanical thing. Water is obviously kryptonite to anything electrical, and cars are far from hermetically sealed from the elements

My big concern is anything driven by planned obsolescence - i.e. driven to by maximising profit to be unsustainable.

I do appreciate electric cars will be the future, but they need to get a full charge time down to under 5 minutes. Otherwise we are back to the days of horses where to do long journeys you had to exchange them at regular intervals.
Sorry mate, I disagree with most of that. The middle sentence is valid. The rest sounds like scara wrote it.

I knew you'd bite. All bollox by the way.
I'd be intrigued to know why you think that. I've not used anything other than publicly available information (barring Tesla blocking all talk of range at >80mph) to come to those conclusions.

I'd be intrigued to know why you think that. I've not used anything other than publicly available information (barring Tesla blocking all talk of range at >80mph) to come to those conclusions.
I seem to remember doing all this before ;). I'll reply later if I get time.

The whole thing is a con, and cars especially. It's a tax raising project.
Take company cars. Every year that you don't buy a new cat your tax goes up because its less efficient. So what's more efficient, junking a perfectly good car for a new one, even if its the exact same model or keeping the perfectly good one running?
Madness.

I not denying climate change or the causes btw, but how it's handled.

What did you go for?

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

Back