• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

To what end? Other than to ruin everyones day and get attention - because its nothing to do with saving the planet.

They are attention seeking my tits, vandals and law breakers, theres nothing virtuous about muppets getting behind a cause to justify acting the clam.

To be honest they believe they have a cause and they do but that does not give you any rights to cause havoc anymore than a bunch of football fans that believe they have a cause and do the same or in many cases less. No court in the world will say "ohhh you did it for climate change, why didnt you say, off you go then chap"

To be honest they believe they have a cause and they do but that does not give you any rights to cause havoc anymore than a bunch of football fans that believe they have a cause and do the same or in many cases less. No court in the world will say "ohhh you did it for climate change, why didnt you say, off you go then chap"

I have no doubt some believe in the cause, but as you say thats really beside the point.

Im pretty convinced at this point there are plenty getting on the bandwagon just to have an excuse to act out as well though.

Raise awareness for a cause, target meaningful or symbolic things to raise that awareness (legally) and ok, fair enough.

Actions like this? If people react badly you get what you deserve.

I have no doubt some believe in the cause, but as you say thats really beside the point.

Im pretty convinced at this point there are plenty getting on the bandwagon just to have an excuse to act out as well though.

Raise awareness for a cause, target meaningful or symbolic things to raise that awareness (legally) and ok, fair enough.

Actions like this? If people react badly you get what you deserve.
This was certainly an own goal. The guys who did it are rightly getting slated from every angle.

...yet here we are talking about it. When this thread was languishing before they came along and upset everybody...

Would be interested to know how an old car compares to a new electric one in terms of carbon footprint.

Another curiosity, are electric cars made to allow their battery packs to be changed? Or do they last the life of the battery?

...yet here we are talking about it. When this thread was languishing before they came along and upset everybody...

Would be interested to know how an old car compares to a new electric one in terms of carbon footprint.

Another curiosity, are electric cars made to allow their battery packs to be changed? Or do they last the life of the battery?
Have they made any of us cancel flights or bother ourselves to bring bags to the supermarket?

You can change the batteries in most electric cars but it's a large chunk of the value of the car by that point. Better to replace it.

Have they made any of us cancel flights or bother ourselves to bring bags to the supermarket?

You can change the batteries in most electric cars but it's a large chunk of the value of the car by that point. Better to replace it.

Interesting. Anyone know how much a new Prius or Leaf battery is to fit? Also interesting to know if they reuse the old batteries. There isn't enough Nickle in this world at the moment to make all the batteries we will be needing. It strikes me that batteries are great for now - and we will continue to use them to store electricity. But longer-term, there must be a more direct way to generate electricity that doesn't require expensive and heavy batteries. ...hydrogen fuel cells.

Japan is fully behind hydrogen, but the rest of the world seems to be focused on batteries. If Japan can figure out how to separate hydrogen more cheaply, then hydrogen offers so much more.

Interesting. Anyone know how much a new Prius or Leaf battery is to fit? Also interesting to know if they reuse the old batteries. There isn't enough Nickle in this world at the moment to make all the batteries we will be needing. It strikes me that batteries are great for now - and we will continue to use them to store electricity. But longer-term, there must be a more direct way to generate electricity that doesn't require expensive and heavy batteries. ...hydrogen fuel cells.

Japan is fully behind hydrogen, but the rest of the world seems to be focused on batteries. If Japan can figure out how to separate hydrogen more cheaply, then hydrogen offers so much more.
Tesla claim that a model 3 replacement will be $5-7k so the actual cost will probably be closer to 10. That will be for the pointless model too, so add a few k for the powerful one.

Most of the cost of a second hand car.

Cobalt is another problem. Most of it comes from the Congo and needless to say working there is dangerous. I see that fudger Erik Prince is trying to muscle into this industry, literally.

I'm behind hydrogen (or indeed most forms of renewable energy) but we are probably decades of it being ready for commercial use, at present to generate hydrogen don't you need to use natural gas? To use photosynthesis to extract it is the long term solution but in the quantitites needed for mass commerical use I haven't seen much in the way of break through - love to be proven wrong.

I'm behind hydrogen (or indeed most forms of renewable energy) but we are probably decades of it being ready for commercial use, at present to generate hydrogen don't you need to use natural gas? To use photosynthesis to extract it is the long term solution but in the quantitites needed for mass commerical use I haven't seen much in the way of break through - love to be proven wrong.

I think it just costs a fair amount of energy - electricity - to separate hydrogen so it can be put in a pump for people to fill up. Which makes it expensive and means you are only getting say a 60% saving? Batteries are more like a 80-90% saving? Storing hydrogen and moving it are also problematic as its so explosive. But the advantages are you can just fill up a tank in a couple of minutes, and there is no pollution, just water as a by-product. But hydrogen is everywhere in the atmosphere. If someone can crack how to extract it sustainably - maybe use solar power or something - then it would stop the need for heavy, expensive batteries in cars and planes of the future.

Is it still worth buying a petrol car if everything is heading towards electric? Is everyone just leasing now instead or are new car sales still at the same levels they have always been?
On a similar thought, will there be a point when every model of car is sold in both versions? It seems like currently all the manufacturers have made a deal with each other to all have just one hybrid/electric car available in order to look like they are all doing something. I wonder if any one of them would be brave enough to convert completely, and if they did would it even benefit them once the others all have the same or better technology anyway.

Back