• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

CL Qualification vs Cups - The Neverending Story

Is what the game was about.
I believe most pro footballers would rather join a regular CL team.
Never heard of any who went to a club because they'd won the FA Cup.

Of course the euphoria in the stadium nothing beats that real live experience.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Toby, Eriksen, Lamela , Lloris etc did not join a regular CL club. So that makes your point mute.

Just one of those silly hypotheticals (or maybe it's not so hypothetical!??)

Would people favour a 2nd place finish (progress) and win FA Cup, or a 5th place finish (regression) but win Europa League?

I was going to suggest that the beauty of winning Europa is that it swipes a CL place off a 4th placed rival, but i'm not actually sure that's the case for that trophy?

Option #1 = trophy; CL group stage next season; progress in league finish position.
Option #2 = trophy, CL group stage next season, regression in league finish position.

Option #1 for me.

We've won plenty of trophies with brick players.

Lots of teams have won things without buying lots of good players.

You know my feelings on such things guys, I want us to win the European Cup, multiple times, I don't care about anything else.

Yeah we won trophies with brick players, brick trophies. If we want silverware why not get relegated and win the championship, that would be easy right?

League titles won by Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United over the last 10 years: 9
League titles won by everyone else: 1

FA Cups won by Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United over the last 10 years: 8
FA Cups won by everyone else: 2

League Cups won by Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United over the last 10 years: 7
League Cups won by everyone else: 3

Community shields won by Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United over the last 10 years: 10
Community shields won by everyone else: 0

CL titles won by Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United over the last 10 years: 2

EL titles won by Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United over the last 10 years: 1

World club championships won by Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United over the last 10 years: 1

In total

Rich clubs: 38
Not so rich clubs: 6

CL participation in the same period:

Sky 5: 37/40 spots

The other three: Tottenham x2 and Leicester.

Option #1 = trophy; CL group stage next season; progress in league finish position.
Option #2 = trophy, CL group stage next season, regression in league finish position.

Option #1 for me.

Guess that proposes that you put Domestic glory and European glory on an even keel then?

Or, to be more realistic about the term "glory", you're suggesting a domestic trophy is worth the same as a European trophy?

as always with this debate - long term v short term thinking/big picture v hear and now etc i want Spurs to become the best team in the country and have an era like United and Liverpool have had in the past - that means winning titles, not just the odd FA or League Cups - we've built ourselves up to the position we're in now where we can actually look at the table and think we have a shot and that's not down to winning the league cup a few years back its down to consistently fighting it out for the CL places over a number of years.

Last edited:
Guess that proposes that you put Domestic glory and European glory on an even keel then?

Or, to be more realistic about the term "glory", you're suggesting a domestic trophy is worth the same as a European trophy?

Not at all. But the choice was in a combination with our league position so for now the year on year progress is more important than choosing between pieces of silverware (for me). Coming 2nd and winning a trophy would be fantastic. I don't care which trophy it is.

as always with this debate - long term v short term thinking/big picture v hear and now etc i want Spurs to become the best team in the country and have an era like United and Liverpool have had in the past - that means winning titles, not just the odd FA or League Cups - we've built ourselves up to the position we're in now where we can actually look at the table and think we have a shot and that's not down to winning the league cup a few years back its down to consistently fighting it out for the CL places over a number of years.

its both that i want actually. but i know that if we're in the top 4 consistently, we will pick up a few cup wins along the way. i'd like us to get away from that false dawn/one-hit-wonder history, but you can only that if you are challenging the top 4 consistently.... the additional monies help, but its the reputation over time that will attract the best young talents all over the world to our academy.

Will always prefer winning a trophy over just qualifying for CL. I think even winning the League Cup makes long lasting effect than just playing in the CL. Still feeling great just looking back at that 2008 Carling Cup win.

Amen

Didn't Man U's era start with the odd FA Cup?

As cliche as it sounds, we honestly need to approach it 1 game at a time. Forget the title. If we find ourselves anywhere near it come the end of the season then great. Simple task, take each game as it comes and win. Individually we are capable of winning any game from our remaining fixtures.

Precisely, we're not really in a title race.

If we can consolidate 2nd or 3rd - sealing consecutive CL qualifications for the first time - that would be a huge achievement. Which is why a chelsea win would have been better yesterday and why the Watford win was great.

Agreed. Our first 11 is a match for pretty much any other team in the league. I honestly don't know how you go about changing the mentality of a club. Winning silverware might be start I guess. Then again, back to back FA cups hasn't changed Arsenal's bottling streak in the league so who knows?

Spot on.
The fa cup is a jolly

Back