• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

CL Qualification vs Cups - The Neverending Story

Yes but it's also the real world.

As has often been suggested the obvious answer would be to award a CL place to the winners of the domestic cups but given that's never likely to happen the domestic cups will continue to be treated as a sideshow.

Well i suppose the best thing about it is we could do a Arsenal, qualify for years but never actually win anything. ;)

Well i suppose the best thing about it is we could do a Arsenal, qualify for years but never actually win anything. ;)
Point is the domestic trophies are tarnished. You may not value finishing top three but that status is much harder achieved and therefore for me at least carries far more status than winning what has become a minor cup trophy.

It is also hugely more rewarding for the club because not only does it bring substantially more financial rewards but it opens the door to competing with the big boys of Europe on a much larger stage.

And whatever the fans may say, by and large they turn up in substantially bigger numbers week in, week out for League games than for the domestic cup ties. That has to tell you something, surely?

With domestic cups they may not get the full Spurs team, so less likely to commit funds (however much discounted) along with time.

PL fixtures are set out early on, somany will aim for particular games months ahead.

Point is the domestic trophies are tarnished. You may not value finishing top three but that status is much harder achieved and therefore for me at least carries far more status than winning what has become a minor cup trophy.

It is also hugely more rewarding for the club because not only does it bring substantially more financial rewards but it opens the door to competing with the big boys of Europe on a much larger stage.

And whatever the fans may say, by and large they turn up in substantially bigger numbers week in, week out for League games than for the domestic cup ties. That has to tell you something, surely?

To be honest with you i travel/attend games with a group of fans who travel to all the games. But recently a few of them have the attitude " why should i care/ pay for games/travel when the management does not care". I think that has a lot to do with it.

Regardless of my opinion on cup success vs league position success, as a non season ticket holder buying a ticket for an FA cup tie (not just this season) is a walk in the park compared to the angst (pre-ballot system) of trying to get a ticket for a league game. Which shows the level of demand is much lower for cup games.
Today when buying for the Wycombe game, I could see that most of the seats in the area I would normally choose (pre this seasons ballot) which are usually occupied by ST holders, are available for members to buy. Which implies that many ST holders are not bothered about the cup - although I am sure they will be back should we get to a quarter final. It is clearly lower priority for many fans.
I have said before that I would love is to win a trophy but whilst we are in with a shot at the title that has to be management priority.
Having said that I loved Eric Diers words from a week or so ago about how it would be a travesty if this team does not win a trophy. If the players are thinking that way, then we still have a trophy hope.

Regardless of my opinion on cup success vs league position success, as a non season ticket holder buying a ticket for an FA cup tie (not just this season) is a walk in the park compared to the angst (pre-ballot system) of trying to get a ticket for a league game. Which shows the level of demand is much lower for cup games.
Today when buying for the Wycombe game, I could see that most of the seats in the area I would normally choose (pre this seasons ballot) which are usually occupied by ST holders, are available for members to buy. Which implies that many ST holders are not bothered about the cup - although I am sure they will be back should we get to a quarter final. It is clearly lower priority for many fans.
I have said before that I would love is to win a trophy but whilst we are in with a shot at the title that has to be management priority.
Having said that I loved Eric Diers words from a week or so ago about how it would be a travesty if this team does not win a trophy. If the players are thinking that way, then we still have a trophy hope.

Have to take you up on the bolded bit, there is a good reason why ST holders ( in your words) "not bothered with cups".

As i said earlier i travel with a group of fans 15-20 on most occasions, they are all ST holders but some have given up going to Cup games because of the pathetic way the mangement have taken on the picking of teams to actually go out and win something. All of them who have stopped going to the majority of cup games would be back like a shot if we made the effort to actually win a trophy again.

Is what the game was about.
I believe most pro footballers would rather join a regular CL team.
Never heard of any who went to a club because they'd won the FA Cup.

Of course the euphoria in the stadium nothing beats that real live experience.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Of course players want more money, exposure, etc but frankly I don't really care what they are earning. As a fan I care about winning a trophy. The players are just a means to this end in my mind. Sure I get that more money usually means better players but the ultimate goal should not be the club accumulating wealth. It should be accumulating silverware. Each to their own though.

Of course players want more money, exposure, etc but frankly I don't really care what they are earning. As a fan I care about winning a trophy. The players are just a means to this end in my mind. Sure I get that more money usually means better players but the ultimate goal should not be the club accumulating wealth. It should be accumulating silverware. Each to their own though.
Yes agree. I prefer to see better players come to white hart Lane to play better football.

I would love us to win the FA Cup, but understand the club need the money from CL qualification and the status that is perceived to go with it. I think the League Cup has limited appeal to most clubs and should be scraped. To be brutally honest I would forget all the cups and focus on winning the league, playing our best XI in every game we could.

Have to take you up on the bolded bit, there is a good reason why ST holders ( in your words) "not bothered with cups".

As i said earlier i travel with a group of fans 15-20 on most occasions, they are all ST holders but some have given up going to Cup games because of the pathetic way the mangement have taken on the picking of teams to actually go out and win something. All of them who have stopped going to the majority of cup games would be back like a shot if we made the effort to actually win a trophy again.

Sorry, I ddn't intend that to sound dismissive of ST holders. Everyone has their reasons for not going to certain games. I think I was backing up what Spur of the Moment had said a couple of posts earlier. Then again, I was typing it on the train coming home after a work do, so to be honest I have no idea now what point I was trying to make :confused:

I'd love us to win a cup. But I'd love it even more if we could win the league. If Poch really thinks we have a shot at the latter, then I'd support/understand not going full strength in the cups. "Not going full strength" being different to just playing kids.

Whatever brings the greater revenue!

It's not rocket science- we need maximise our financial income at his very important time for Tottenham.

Just one of those silly hypotheticals (or maybe it's not so hypothetical!??)

Would people favour a 2nd place finish (progress) and win FA Cup, or a 5th place finish (regression) but win Europa League?

I was going to suggest that the beauty of winning Europa is that it swipes a CL place off a 4th placed rival, but i'm not actually sure that's the case for that trophy?

Just one of those silly hypotheticals (or maybe it's not so hypothetical!??)

Would people favour a 2nd place finish (progress) and win FA Cup, or a 5th place finish (regression) but win Europa League?

I was going to suggest that the beauty of winning Europa is that it swipes a CL place off a 4th placed rival, but i'm not actually sure that's the case for that trophy?
2nd one for me.

Back