• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Circus ManUnitus - Erik's At The Wheel

DUK8lmcVoAAFC-8.jpg

David de Gea should ask for a pay rise, considering he’s been their star player for 2 seasons now...

DUKyNaNUMAALe6q.jpg

Not much that can be done unless some kind of salary cap is introduced. I wouldn't mind seeing a cap for the squad overall, so the top players will still get top money, but clubs like Emirates Marketing Project won't be able to pay people silly money to sit on the bench.

I'm very much in favour of some sort of wage cap; however I think an absolute limit on squad size and players on loan (25 + 3, for instance) would serve almost the same purpose.

If effectuated efficiently, it would mean the end to player stockpiling at a Chelski scale. It would likely mean clubs would have to sell before they buy, cooling down the insane transfer market. It would encourage long term planning in player purchases, as it wouldn't be as easy to discard players that didn't work out. The quick fix transfers would be far and few between, instead clubs would have to get the best out of the players they already have at their disposal. I think this could also spread the best players among more clubs. And it would be harder for the cash doped clubs to throw insane money at players, because crazy wages would likely make it harder to sell them if they don't work out.

Now I'm not saying this is the perfect solution, and I'm sure free market hardliners will disagree with me, but I'm also 100% certain a system like this will be infinetly better for the long term good of the game than what we currently have.

I'm very much in favour of some sort of wage cap; however I think an absolute limit on squad size and players on loan (25 + 3, for instance) would serve almost the same purpose.

If effectuated efficiently, it would mean the end to player stockpiling at a Chelski scale. It would likely mean clubs would have to sell before they buy, cooling down the insane transfer market. It would encourage long term planning in player purchases, as it wouldn't be as easy to discard players that didn't work out. The quick fix transfers would be far and few between, instead clubs would have to get the best out of the players they already have at their disposal. I think this could also spread the best players among more clubs. And it would be harder for the cash doped clubs to throw insane money at players, because crazy wages would likely make it harder to sell them if they don't work out.

Now I'm not saying this is the perfect solution, and I'm sure free market hardliners will disagree with me, but I'm also 400% certain a system like this will be infinetly better for the long term good of the game than what we currently have.

There's at least one person that agrees. Question is if there's anything he can do.

Problem with wage caps or squad wage limits is that the horse has bolted, the top players are not going let their wages stagnate or fall.
When a good player, maybe great but not elite player, like Sanchez can command that kind of money then the game is broken.

Now I'm not saying this is the perfect solution, and I'm sure free market hardliners will disagree with me, but I'm also 400% certain a system like this will be infinetly better for the long term good of the game than what we currently have.

I agree with you but it is increasingly hard to do as clubs will always find the loopholes.

City have got around this by just buying other clubs and parking them there (could also be informal arrangement) for a bit so this would have to be looked at. Also selling a player with a buyback would have to be stopped as it is effectively the same thing. There is also the disparity across leagues, the Italians have been buying and loaning high tens for years, if we ban it then we are at a disadvantage.

Problem with wage caps or squad wage limits is that the horse has bolted, the top players are not going let their wages stagnate or fall.
When a good player, maybe great but not elite player, like Sanchez can command that kind of money then the game is broken.
I counter this with the fact that the money is in the game anyway, if there were a wage cap then the clubs would have to be run as a non-profit type of thing otherwise you are just moving the money from the talent to the owners of the clubs. I would also be ok with this if there was a cap on tickets and tv subs for the fans but as it is you are just moving the money to the owners and I don't think this is an improvement.

"Wage cap" is a catch all phrase.
There must be other different methods that can be devised to curb the excesses at the top clubs/especially the ones owned by countries.
If we dont there will have to be some form of the dreaded "super league" or a bubble, we all know what they have a habit of doing ask any Wham fan.

Even the press are sniping at the current setup with greater regularity with many saying that the top tree are "buying success". The Chelsea wine bar fan/supporter/?? are very anti and apathetic with their plight ATM. My son works with a bunch of plastic fans, says they just go to the bridge to eat and get tinkled at the best of times, but ATM they are not happy campers! Which leaves manchester.

Remember this league 'has' to be attractive to communication giants 'long term' or the golden goose will die.

if Spurs would sign somebody and give him £500k a week, I would stop following the club and totally lose interest, because the money are so nuts. Heck, if Spurs was to give Kane £500k a week I would also drastically lose interest.

Man U now just set a new standard in NUTS. Totally unnecessary. They are weak.

if Spurs would sign somebody and give him £500k a week, I would stop following the club and totally lose interest, because the money are so nuts. Heck, if Spurs was to give Kane £500k a week I would also drastically lose interest.

Man U now just set a new standard in NUTS. Totally unnecessary. They are weak.

Why is £100k or £250k per week ok but £500k per week crosses a line? I'm not criticising, I'm just curious.

Paying anyone millions of pounds per year to kick a ball about is ridiculous really. To go further, it's ridiculous that anyone can even do it professionally. It's just a game, it's not a job. But here we are.

I think we are at a point where its already detached from reality, but thats just taking it to such an extreme its not even on the same planet.

Nobody is with £100k a week now, let alone 2-300, to double that?! Madness.

Though I do agree with you, it is ridiculous anyway.

There is a level where I believe fans will 'unconsciously' switch off.
Man United have reached this with me I dont bother watching them now. I love football but United have crossed a line.
They now have joined Real Barca and PSG. City are very close to joining this uninteresting bunch.
Chelsea have re-entered the realms "normality" (bad choice of word) a tad.

It was being said yesterday that the £500k pw was misleading and in fact Sanchez is on not much more than the wages cited for Pogba (aw, poor thing!) and that the £500k includes bonuses, image rights etc. which aren't being included for other players when comparisons are being made.

No idea if that is true, of course, and in any case, I am allowing myself to fall into the trap of justifying an obscene figure ('it's OK, it's only £300k pw, not £500k') but it sounds plausible. It would otherwise be a huge gap in wages and one you would think likely to breed discontent in the Utd dressing room. Time will tell.

Ban for Sanchez for missing the drug test? I know its unlikely but would tinkle myself if he gets one and is banned for 6 months like Rio. Spent £30M+ to get him and bumper wages and he gets a drugs ban.
Yeah, unlikely to come to anything. It's probably fair to see it as a case of bad timing.
And it's not as if footballers have mobile phones they are attached to at the hip that could be used as a means of communication. Nor that his agent would have one.
Maybe he should have listed his dog sitter as someone knowing his whereabouts.

Yeah, unlikely to come to anything. It's probably fair to see it as a case of bad timing.
And it's not as if footballers have mobile phones they are attached to at the hip that could be used as a means of communication. Nor that his agent would have one.
Maybe he should have listed his dog sitter as someone knowing his whereabouts.
it was regarding Arsenal not telling the FA he would be missing a training and when they went on an unannounced he wasn't there (so the mobile would not help if he is in Manchester), so a Ban fro Arsenal as well.

it was regarding Arsenal not telling the FA he would be missing a training and when they went on an unannounced he wasn't there (so the mobile would not help if he is in Manchester), so a Ban fro Arsenal as well.
Ah OK, fair enough.
Ban them all I say :D

He missed a test. I think it needs three missed tests for a ban. At least it does in athletics and cycling now. In the past, Rio only missed the one test and was banned, although he decided to go shopping when the testers were already on the premises. Anyway, Sanchez's whereabouts was hardly a secret, it was the major news story of the day.

Back