1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Circus ManUnitus

Discussion in 'General Football' started by Jordinho, 12 Aug 2014.

1. galeforce

galeforce Teddy Sheringham

I’m a cool adult then, I’ve been belittling international football for decades.

Also, when I was a kid, kicking a ball around the garden, taking one twos off the side of the raised pond and leaving the tree standing as I danced around it, I dreamed of keeping a clean sheet in the European Cup final, that’s what football is all about.

2. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

I wonder why De Gea signed on for another few years
    Ah yes more crazy wages £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

StephenH likes this.
  3. StephenH

StephenH Steffen Freund

Manu waste so much money it is unreal!

4. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Simon Davies

They make so much money it’s unreal as well to be fair. At least it’s their money to waste unlike many/most other clubs.

Robbo, parklane1 and K.D.D.D.D.Soc like this.
  5. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Vedran Corluka

It's a good strategy, by paying such high wages they make it more difficult for other teams to sign or keep players.

6. Jon

Jon Edgar Davids

and makes it easier for their players to phone it in, for 5 years at a time too! :D

StephenH likes this.
  7. StephenH

StephenH Steffen Freund

They are sloppy and wasteful in so many areas!
    The players know this and as @Jon said it leads to all sorts of complacency throughout the club!
    Some start to knocks off and puts their collective feet up metaphorically!

Jon likes this.
  8. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Frederic Kanoute

ManUre got lucky in snagging a great manager at the start of the formation of the EPL which allowed them to accumulate vast swarms of glory hunters globally and used that revenue to poach every decent player that any rival English club had; much like Bayern Munich do in Germany to this day.

So whilst it’s a tad annoying to see likes of Chavski and Emirates Marketing Project buying trophies with dirty oil money, I know so few supporters of theirs that I can dismiss their “success” quite easily. However it has been wonderful to see the hordes of gobby millennial ManUre fans who thought that they’d dominate football forever have their bubble burst :D

9. Gazza Dazzla

I agree, but non of that changes what I said. It’s their money, they earnt it, however lucky the timing was.

10. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Ian Walker

Well, they aren't digging themselves out of the hole with these new contracts. They're just making a bigger whole, that will lead to the same problems as they face today, with the likes of Sanchez and Smalling. They can't get rid.
    Hopefully they'll keep doing it, and dig themselves even deeper into the brick.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  11. braineclipse

braineclipse Colin Calderwood

With their turnover they can afford it, but it gets ridiculously expensive in the long run. And situations like the one with Sanchez is almost guaranteed to be repeated.

If they could cut their wage budged by a bit they would have a lot more money to spend on transfer fees. Where they are now that seems like a difficult task. I'm not sure it's a good strategy, more just the situation they've backed themselves into by repeatedly failing in the transfer market and with manager appointments.

12. SteveAWOL

Personally I see little difference between a club buying success with money from shirt sales or some billionaire who wants to splash the cash (wish UEFA had a squad wage cap like they have in NFL) and am pleased to see ManUre’s commercial income flatline as the glory hunting gobbricks finally realise that Ferguson was a once in a lifetime manager and they aren’t going to be allowed to steamroller the English league like Bayern and Juventus do in theirs.

upload_2019-9-17_9-35-6.jpeg

13. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Dimitar Berbatov

The difference is, for me at least, that of ones wealth being earned vs a lottery win.

Utd became that financial monster by being the best team, at the right time, and really maximising their worth.

Not unlike what we are trying to do now.

Chelsea, City? It fell in their laps. Theres nothing earned about it. Its a lotto-lout kind of thing.

Which isnt to say I approve of Utds conduct over the years etc, only that I respect the fact they got there organically.

14. SteveAWOL

Yeah, there’s something more noble about it but had the status quo been allowed to continue then the EPL would’ve probably become as tedious a closed-shop as Bundesliga or Serie A; with one established giant garnering all the most lucrative sponsorships on the back of generations of glory hunters, allowing them to use the rest of the league as feeder clubs.

I only know a handful of Emirates Marketing Project fans and they’re all Mancs who’ve followed the club through thick & thin, so I don’t begrudge them their opportunity to gloat at the red shirted interlopers who invaded their patch!

Hopefully Levy has taken full advantage of the opportunity that FFP has given us to get back to challenging for top honours like you say though.

15. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Pedro Mendes

They can probably afford their Sanchezs as much as we can our Janssens.

16. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I think Levy has completely insulated the club now. If there is ever a "financial crash" type event where the TV money bottoms out, we are laughing.

I only know a couple of City fans, they're conflicted on it. They know they dont "deserve" it, but short of supporting someone else they have no choice but to try and enjoy the ride. They know its hollow though.

I think you are probably right, left unchecked Utd were set to be a Bayern type set up, and its no bad thing that there is competition now. Even so, their success is more "genuine" to me, Chelsea and City? Meaningless...

SteveAWOL likes this.
  17. StephenH

StephenH Steffen Freund

United bought their success just like any of today's big clubs. United back in the day took full advantage of their superb youth system and had some good money people at the top. SAF was for me was primarily a good man-manager and realised the answer was to get good people around him like Mike Phelan.

18. SteveAWOL

The lotto winners are the lesser of 2 evils imho, as it prevented ManUre from completely taking over English football plus I know so few Chavs and Emirates Marketing Project fans that their success barely affects me in any way. However, as the saying goes, you’re never more than 10 feet away from a rat or a ManUre fan!

19. nayimfromthehalfwayline

It bothers me far more, greater of two evils IMO.

20. Gazza Dazzla

So it’s not really buying success then if your bolded part is true (Which it is) and let’s be honest here, they’ve always been a traditional “glamour” club going back to the 50’s/60’s with a huge fan base this whole time.

For me Utd are completey different to the lottery winners. Of course they tinkle money up the wall, but it’s money they’ve earnt by being successful over the years. City and Chelsea are just yo-yo clubs with billions of non football generated money pumped in to them.