• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christmas Wish List

@braineclipse With regards to a DM, Levy confirmed as much here:

"I think most people were hoping that we were going to buy a defensive midfield in the summer, but one of the skills of Mauricio is that he understands exactly what’s in that dressing room," Levy explained.

"He said to me [in the summer]: ‘I don’t want a defensive midfielder. I am very comfortable that I can make Eric Dier into a top defensive midfielder.’

"I think if we asked most people [before the season started], they would have said he was wrong. We have to give credit to Mauricio for his skill, and you have to trust his judgement."

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/12/0...s-what-tottenham-hotspur-boss-mauricio-poche/

Bah, we all know fans on web forums know better.

That's pretty much was what I was referencing yes. I only added the "seemingly" as I don't fully trust post-hoc explanations to why transfer deals went the way they did.

I don't think we even seriously looked at a CM all summer.

We were tabloid linked to the likes of Imbula, Illaramendi, McCarthy, Kramer, Bender, Wanyama, Witsel, but I don't think there was any serious interest. Most of them moved to or stayed at smaller clubs than ours.

I think Poch had his plan for Dier before we moved for Alder

I don't think we even seriously looked at a CM all summer.

We were tabloid linked to the likes of Imbula, Illaramendi, McCarthy, Kramer, Bender, Wanyama, Witsel, but I don't think there was any serious interest. Most of them moved to or stayed at smaller clubs than ours.

I think Poch had his plan for Dier before we moved for Alder
What a waste of my life (and all our lives) it was, speculating on midfield transfers. And strikers. Until there is some real action or talk from the horse's mouth it is just whiffle

What a waste of my life (and all our lives) it was, speculating on midfield transfers. And strikers. Until there is some real action or talk from the horse's mouth it is just whiffle

Rainforests of nonsense printed on the likes of Ings, Austin, Hernandez, Benteke, Berahino etc.

And then Njie and Son come in completely under the radar and are signed within 48 hours of their name first being mentioned.

That's the way to do business.

Rainforests of nonsense printed on the likes of Ings, Austin, Hernandez, Benteke, Berahino etc.

And then Njie and Son come in completely under the radar and are signed within 48 hours of their name first being mentioned.

That's the way to do business.

I think that it was pretty clear that we had an interest in Ings and Berahino.

That's what fans get for believing all they read in the rags and on blogs written by those who have far too much time on their hands. ( nothing better to do with their lives).

That's what fans get for believing all they read in the rags and on blogs written by those who have far too much time on their hands. ( nothing better to do with their lives).

Let's sanction a state wide round up of all bloggers and send them to work doing something useful like fixing the railways.

Let's sanction a state wide round up of all bloggers and send them to work doing something useful like fixing the railways.

They would probably be better suited doing train spotting and checking off numbers in their train spotting books.

If Poch brought in a player like Jeffers who can also play #9, #10 and wide, I could see him starting both and have them switching throughout the game. It is something he does now with Lamela, Son and Chadli sometimes leading whilst Kane wanders.

Who is this jeffers everyone is talking about, the only one I know is the reason wenger did not buy British players for 15 years and I am sure he is retired by now anyway.

You're completely speculating about Levy's prudent tight fistedness though.

What Pochettino has actually said and done, the players he has succeeded with at Southampton and Spurs to me paints a picture of a fairly prudent careful head coach. He is a part of the transfer committee that decided against "pushing the boat out" on a new DM this summer. Seemingly primarily because of Pochettino's influence on the committee.

It continues to be crucial for us to find good value in the transfer market. For someone to be a "Kane lookalike" or young talent to be Kane's backup it really doesn't make much sense to "push the boat out".

The claim has been made in the past that Levy should have just pushed the boat out for Lovren or Schneiderlin for example. Because Pochettino wanted them. However no one has gone beyond pure speculation in claiming that Pochettino actually wanted us to pay over the top/push the boat out for those players. Similar claims now about a striker imo.

Levy showed as late as with the Son deal that he's willing to pay big money for the player the transfer committee decides on if that seems like the best deal for the club.

All fair points. However, we have been in this position twice before. Lack of purchasing a decent striker in January probably cost us CL places both times. I would hate to see history repeating itself.

If we have to rely on Kane alone for physical presence to lead the line in the No9 role then we are leaving ourselves open to failure again IMO.

All fair points. However, we have been in this position twice before. Lack of purchasing a decent striker in January probably cost us CL places both times. I would hate to see history repeating itself.

If we have to rely on Kane alone for physical presence to lead the line in the No9 role then we are leaving ourselves open to failure again IMO.

You are not wrong. At present we are a twisted knee away from disaster.

Signing Ighalo would be like signing Michu during his hot-streak at Swansea.. Big mistake in the long run.
I disagree, did you see any of him last season?
Although any Premier League team will ask for stupid money for any player who's playing well, so that would probably rule out Ighalo.

A "brick! We need a striker" strategy hasn't always been a roaring success either.

We've got a nicely balanced and competitive squad right now. I would rather we continued to concentrate on signing the right players.

Does anyone like the look of that lad Ighalo at Watford, He is surely gettable if we want him.

They'd want a stupid amount for him and also we'd then be in a position whereby every other Jan / Feb we'd lose Njie and Ighalo for a few weeks for the ACM....if Kane was injured we'd be screwed, and also if we had a decent League Cup run then Kane would be knackered by the end of Feb. No thanks!

I disagree, did you see any of him last season?
Although any Premier League team will ask for stupid money for any player who's playing well, so that would probably rule out Ighalo.
Exactly

He is just carrying in fron last season and has basically stepped up every time he has been asked. But convinced yet that he is the real deal but the lad deserves credit for what he has done

Back