• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I have to say, I felt the CL final was the end of the line for this group of players sadly. They should have won a trophy and we can point fingers at whoever we want for that but sadly for them, Poch and for us, it didn't happen. But it did feel that for that amazing core, it really was the end of an era. And so it is beginning to prove.

Eriksen leaving, Rose looking likely to follow. Verts probably not going to be here beyond May. Toby will probably be phased out in the next 18-24 months. Dembele gone, Wanyama broken, Dier potentially so too.

Let's see where the new phase, new group of players will take us. Hopefully over the finishing line.

Also wonder whether Inter will regret approaching this deal Levy style. They're involved in a tight title race against Juve and have really dropped some very important points in the last few games. Perhaps if they'd just paid up at the beginning of the window, Eriksen may have made a difference in some of those games. Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

if you want to beat Juve it's not players you need to buy

I heard he's about to extend his contract with us :eek:

What a protracted saga. Eriksen managed to make running down his contract work quite well at Ajax, but its been a grueling marathon with us. In hindsight, it would have been better for everyone if he'd got a move last summer. I shouldn't imagine his current form has endeared him to as many clubs. At one point he could have been on elite level wages. Shame as he was one of the best players during the Poch era. I'll never quite understand why he wasn't more consistent. A brilliant technical player when in the zone, a moody lacking confidence liability when off form.

He was supposedly our "virtuoso" though. How may times have you heard "when Eriksen plays well, Spurs play well", and (unfortunately) more to the point, "when he disappoints, Spurs disappoint".

Never really bought that narrative tbh, we were a team that was better than its parts.
Harry is/was our only really WC player.
The rest good, made better by each other.

Re: Christian Eriksen - Confirmed

BS8Q0qHCQAA4DJy.jpg

Funny to look back at page 1. From fresh-faced and eager....to haggard and spent! Laterz.

Liverpool did play very poorly on the night. They constantly turned over possession and looked jittery until that late Origi goal.
We created about 3 opportunities where we were 2v2 or 3v3 against their backline and between them the players were unable to work the opening. Effectively we'd done the hard work to undo Liverpool's press and defensive structure but when it came to the crunch Son, Eriksen, Dele were unable to come up with the goods. I exclude Kane because the openings arrived because he'd drawn VVd out and created the space for the others to run into.
We actually controlled possession and tempo in the game but for me the front players were a huge let down on the night.

On point. I have felt this since the match itself. Kane starting did not hamper us, it did create those moments, and to have several of them as we did against a team of their quality means you have to take at least one of them if you are in any top match, let alone a CL Final.

On Eriksen, Dubai has eloquently said what I think is the right and appropriate thing to say right now re: Eriksen. We remember the good times. I wish him well in Italy.

I agree with virtually all you say, except that in the biggest of games, he failed to turn up. To be a truly world class player, one should have the capability as well as the mental fortitude to grab the key games by the scruff of the neck and turn them to our advantage. Sadly, he wasn't able to -and, for me, that will be his enduring legacy unfortunately.

And, I suspect, that is the reason why he never got his dream move to Real Madrid or Barca.

Fair enough mate, but I wouldn't restrict that failing to just him - half the team fell at the final hurdle on a regular basis, unfortunately. Something about the mentality of the group he was part of.

Dele even admitted it after we threw away the FA Cup semi-final in 2018 - 'we can't keep doing this'. It was just part of the group mentality, and I think Eriksen wasn't alone in being unable to truly dominate the biggest stages.

Fair enough mate, but I wouldn't restrict that failing to just him - half the team fell at the final hurdle on a regular basis, unfortunately. Something about the meteorology of the group he was part of.

Dele even admitted it after we threw away the FA Cup semi-final in 2018 - 'we can't keep doing this'. It was just part of the group meteorology, and I think Eriksen wasn't alone in being unable to truly dominate the biggest stages.

When your teams play relies on one mans creativity then you could say his ability to perform on the big stage would be key above all others - he was the man who supposedly made us tick afterall...

Sorry have to say, I don't think he's better than Silva.
No disgrace in that of course and I echo every thing else you say but can't agree on that one.

No worries, mate. I personally think he was - Silva has the advantage of six years' worth of experience over Eriksen, but Eriksen ran far harder than Silva ever did, while maintaining a comparable attacking output.

When your teams play relies on one mans creativity then you could say his ability to perform on the big stage would be key above all others - he was the man who supposedly made us tick afterall...

He wasn't that central to our play, though. It's hard to explain given that he almost never missed a game, but I think we only grew overly reliant on him to deliver a bit of magic from about the second half of 2017/2018 onwards. Before that, the team could comfortably decimate anyone we came up against, with or without an on-form Eriksen. After about January 2018, we became almost purely focused on individual moments of brilliance to carry us over the line - the 'air raid' strategy of high-volume, low-probability attacks to make up for our utter lack of a midfield.

But we weren't always as reliant on Eriksen as we were towards the end - he was just what made an already impressive team damn-near perfect. Didn't stop us choking on the biggest stages, though - right from the Carling Cup final in 2015. Something about the team just wasn't conducive to taking that final step, and I maintain that Eriksen wasn't alone in suffering from that malaise.

No worries, mate. I personally think he was - Silva has the advantage of six years' worth of experience over Eriksen, but Eriksen ran far harder than Silva ever did, while maintaining a comparable attacking output.
Running harder doesn't make him better and Silva was quite dynamic. I saw Silva for both Valencia and City. Silva is a better player than Eriksen - mentally as well.

He wasn't that central to our play, though. It's hard to explain given that he almost never missed a game, but I think we only grew overly reliant on him to deliver a bit of magic from about the second half of 2017/2018 onwards. Before that, the team could comfortably decimate anyone we came up against, with or without an on-form Eriksen. After about January 2018, we became almost purely focused on individual moments of brilliance to carry us over the line - the 'air raid' strategy of high-volume, low-probability attacks to make up for our utter lack of a midfield.

But we weren't always as reliant on Eriksen as we were towards the end - he was just what made an already impressive team damn-near perfect. Didn't stop us choking on the biggest stages, though - right from the Carling Cup final in 2015. Something about the team just wasn't conducive to taking that final step, and I maintain that Eriksen wasn't alone in suffering from that malaise.
Maybe he is a big part of that malaise due to his mental issues. I mean this is a guy who cannot get the job I’ve the line and perform in his biggest games. He can do everything up to that point. In the biggest game of his career and he won’t get bigger he was out played by Danny Ross, Harry Winks and Sissoko... players who are not as good as him but know how to turn up when it matters

I don't think you can blame one player when the whole team don't perform, after all we wouldn't singularly praise Eriksen when the whole team did perform. I think the main reason we lost semi finals and finals under Poch was because we typically had a tiny squad with little decent cover and by the end of the season we would have a mixture of injuries and fatigue and come up against teams who had spent more on having bigger, deeper squads and could come into those games fitter and fresher.

Back