• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I don’t think he did, he clearly said he was happy to stay if a new challenge didn’t come up.

Bale just went on strike to get his move.

We are seeing the results of Real/FFP and mismanagement.

They wanted Pogba and CE but can’t get either as they can’t spend.

I don’t believe they can’t spend, they can print their own money and UEFA are not going to sanction them for FFP.

I don’t believe they can’t spend, they can print their own money and UEFA are not going to sanction them for FFP.

And if they don’t they will have Barca all over them complaining

I don’t think ZZ will be in charge much longer, so I guess we will see if it’s him or the club that are interested in the players.

Anyone who needs a player like him. Perhaps Bayern after Coutinho doesnt tear up the Bundesliga? Who knows?

Or are you going to try and argue the market is now entirely static and predictable?

Why would Eriksen accept the move? Simple, to play football.

Lets play hypothetical. He agrees a pre-contract with Madrid in Jan. Joins in the summer. Spends the year there on the bench hardly playing because Madrid. Gets told Bayern are in for him, and either he goes there or he sits in the reserves (ala Bale). Simple choice to make at that point.

And - fun thing - even if Madrid ended up supplementing his wages at Bayern they would still profit on him!

Yes let's work it through.

Hypothetically Juve sign him on a free, with a £300k a week basic weekly wage. In a year's time they intend to flip him, because they purely signed him for profit. Eriksen, having pretty much had his heart set on Barca, Real or Juve, left an upwardly mobile Spurs where he was valued as a first 11 player in a system that gets the best out of him, and now he's being told he needs to go...where? Bayern? Dortmund? Inter? Roma? Who has the money? Who has the need? Who is going to want to take on his wages? Why is Eriksen going to want to do it?

Why is a club going to risk signing a player to a 4 year contract on 300k a week, with the full intention of flipping him? Why is Eriken going to go along with it? He'd be well within his rights to stay and take his guarenteed money. Maybe he gets a move to 'play football', and effectively give up the guarenteed cash he's getting at Juve in this example, but he's ending up at a club worse than Juve and worse than Spurs.

In your example, it's the same. Joins Madrid. Gets paid 300k to sit on the bench. Because he's a free agent and wants to milk it. All of a sudden Real have to convince Eriksen to give up guarenteed cash. He's no longer a free-agent, Bayern would have to pay a hefty fee to make it worth Real's while, he hasn't played good football in a year and there are younger players coming up - why are Bayern going for this? And why is Eriksen? And why would Real take the risk of signing a multi-year contract with him on huge wages if they intended to flip him?

I can't think of an example where it has really happened with a top player. It makes sense for Eriksen to move if he can get big money. It doesn't make sense for him to move if he's going to sit on a bench and not get big money - and no club that intends to flip him is going to risk guarenteeing him big money because it gives Eriksen all the power.

Which brings me back to my first point - if Eriksen is going somewhere, he needs to be sure he's going to be a first 11 player to really reap the rewards.

Yes let's work it through.

Hypothetically Juve sign him on a free, with a £300k a week basic weekly wage. In a year's time they intend to flip him, because they purely signed him for profit. Eriksen, having pretty much had his heart set on Barca, Real or Juve, left an upwardly mobile Spurs where he was valued as a first 11 player in a system that gets the best out of him, and now he's being told he needs to go...where? Bayern? Dortmund? Inter? Roma? Who has the money? Who has the need? Who is going to want to take on his wages? Why is Eriksen going to want to do it?

I never actually said a club would buy him with the intention to flip him. Only that if they did buy him, and later sell him (for whatever reason) then they would profit. Hence the no lose aspect of the post. Either he plays and is a success, or they sell and profit - no lose.

Where will he go? Whoever is actually interested will dictate his options.
Who has the money? How should I know? There are plenty of very rich clubs around, there will be options.
Who has the need? Again, how should I know? Teams needs and wants change drastically, quite often in very little time. New manager, new system - suddenly someone like Eriksen is essential. The point remains, a player of his quality should have options at the top end of the scale.
Who is going to take his wages? Again, plenty of clubs around happy to pay big money. Just as has already been mentioned, clubs often supplement wages to make deals happen. Wages really not that much of a deal breaker.

Why would he want to do it? Why did Crouch want to leave Spurs and go to Stoke? Answer: He didnt. But he was told in no uncertain terms he had no future at Spurs, so it was in his interest. Theres no reason at all to think Eriksen would be immune to these pressures. If he wants to play, he might need to move.

Why is a club going to risk signing a player to a 4 year contract on 300k a week, with the full intention of flipping him? Why is Eriken going to go along with it? He'd be well within his rights to stay and take his guarenteed money. Maybe he gets a move to 'play football', and effectively give up the guarenteed cash he's getting at Juve in this example, but he's ending up at a club worse than Juve and worse than Spurs.

Again, dont get hung up on this idea of flipping him. Its a very basic point to show that clubs trade players, that when buying a player value is a key part of the deal, and the fact they could profit on selling him would make it more appealing. Its really simple.

Why would Eriksen go along with it? Its his dream move and he'll be intending to make the most of it. Again, really simple.

In your example, it's the same. Joins Madrid. Gets paid 300k to sit on the bench. Because he's a free agent and wants to milk it. All of a sudden Real have to convince Eriksen to give up guarenteed cash. He's no longer a free-agent, Bayern would have to pay a hefty fee to make it worth Real's while, he hasn't played good football in a year and there are younger players coming up - why are Bayern going for this? And why is Eriksen? And why would Real take the risk of signing a multi-year contract with him on huge wages if they intended to flip him?

I can't think of an example where it has really happened with a top player. It makes sense for Eriksen to move if he can get big money. It doesn't make sense for him to move if he's going to sit on a bench and not get big money - and no club that intends to flip him is going to risk guarenteeing him big money because it gives Eriksen all the power.

Which brings me back to my first point - if Eriksen is going somewhere, he needs to be sure he's going to be a first 11 player to really reap the rewards.

In the great conspiracy you are weaving, I think you are really just majoring in the minors and missing the fundamentals.

Eriksen would move to Juve/Madrid/wherever with the full intent of making it work. Achieving his aim of "something new" and cracking on with being a footballer. This is precisely what all players do when moving.

That he could do that and pick up a big payrise is just icing on the cake.

Football clubs are not so sentimental, they are actually multi million (billion?) pound BUSINESSES.

They see players as assets. And a key component of any asset is the value it holds.

When an asset comes to you for free, but is actually rather valuable, thats a good thing for a company that trades in such things.

Juve/Madrid/wherever can sign Eriksen safe in the knowledge that either he works out on the field, or they cash on him later, and either way its money in the bank. And that wonderful aspect of not having to pay for him means they can give him a premium wage to sweeten the deal and entice him to join.

I can appreciate the narrative you are trying to convince of, that theres little point in him moving, that he should realise he is better off sticking with us, grass isnt always greener.... But honestly I think its really just denial.

I will repeat the same point: if any clubs wants to pitch to Eriksen that he should move to them, they have to show him that he is going to be a first 11 player, as that is the only way they pay him big money. They aren't going to make an awkward fit in their own wage structure for someone they are taking a punt on, that they don't believe will be anything more than a squad player.

If Barca, Juve or Real believe that is Eriksen, he will go, he will be happy about it, and they will pay him the money that he expects. What I am debating against is this idea that a club will take a punt, pay him huge money and not really have a plan for him. Which is why I think Eriksen needs to be careful and why there are noises that the Spurs camp is bemused at his idea of waiting for those 3 clubs to come in for him when they've shown little interest. If they are taking a punt, and don't really have a clear first 11 plan for him, they aren't going to pay him big money.

fudging hell mate, 'great conspiracy you are weaving'. Is it possible to debate anything on here without it turning into different entrenched camps that cannot possibly see the other side?

Look at the layers of fluff you are building up to make a point that appears substantive.

Genuinely, it really doesnt actually add up to much, and appears very much like someone trying to convince themselves of their preferred outcome.

Which I completely understand, Eriksen has been class for us and it sucks to see this situation unfold.

None of which is anything about entrenched camps and not seeing the other side. If anything, its the opposite.

I have presented a really basic, fundamental point on clubs trading - one I feel is hard to argue with, we have all seen how business works. And offered the view of how you are presenting your own point, which seems a lot like wish fulfilment.

I have demonstrated how I see your side, and how I disagree with it. And only because you replied to my post with chapter and verse.

So far as I can tell, up until you getting a tantrum going, thats a debate.

I will repeat the same point: if any clubs wants to pitch to Eriksen that he should move to them, they have to show him that he is going to be a first 11 player, as that is the only way they pay him big money. They aren't going to make an awkward fit in their own wage structure for someone they are taking a punt on, that they don't believe will be anything more than a squad player.

Fundamentally disagree. HE IS ON A FREE. This is KEY information and changes the dynamic significantly.

The player will move for sporting reasons. If he has faith in his ability (which Eriksen should) he should not be promised his position, but expect to break in and take it. And regardless, clubs can make all sorts of assurances to get their way without meaning a word of it (see the fabled "gentlemens agreement" for reference).

The wage structure hang up disappears when a player costs you nothing. Be that regular wages + sign on fee (often released over time) or simple inflated wages, a player coming on a free is going to get a higher salary than he otherwise would. Its just a fact.

There is also nothing, at this point, to suggest a club are purely taking a punt, or trying to take him solely as a squad player. This is spice you are adding to support your bias.

Bottom line is this - look at the attitude here. How many times have you seen "Even if he leaves on a free in the summer we MUST keep him this season no matter what"? If he is that good a player - why wouldnt clubs want him?

If Barca, Juve or Real believe that is Eriksen, he will go, he will be happy about it, and they will pay him the money that he expects. What I am debating against is this idea that a club will take a punt, pay him huge money and not really have a plan for him. Which is why I think Eriksen needs to be careful and why there are noises that the Spurs camp is bemused at his idea of waiting for those 3 clubs to come in for him when they've shown little interest. If they are taking a punt, and don't really have a clear first 11 plan for him, they aren't going to pay him big money.

Thats your own straw man.

I do agree he should be careful. On which, I actually think his whole approach here runs contrary to the way he presents himself. Its very odd.

However, the money thing - Yes, clubs will absolutely pay him big money. He is on a free, its easy, and it makes financial sense.

The whole point of "taking a punt" is something you have misread. The reasoning is simple, quality player available on a free - if he doesnt work out (Ill assume the intention would be that he does) you can still sell on a big profit - regardless of his big money wages.

Its a no lose situation for a club to take him on.

I dont remember discussing anything with you a few weeks ago, but I am pretty sure my position has been consistent on Eriksen so I doubt Ive changed my tune much, if at all.

So I guess you do not remember accusing me of wanting to screw the club when I suggested Levy should have sold him earlier, huh.

So I guess you do not remember accusing me of wanting to screw the club when I suggested Levy should have sold him earlier, huh.

I do disagree with you in that it should be policy to sell players years before time just in case we might lose out.

It would screw the club out of many things.

Cant say that opinion has changed or why you might think so.

Anyone who needs a player like him. Perhaps Bayern after Coutinho doesnt tear up the Bundesliga? Who knows?

Or are you going to try and argue the market is now entirely static and predictable?

Why would Eriksen accept the move? Simple, to play football.

Lets play hypothetical. He agrees a pre-contract with Madrid in Jan. Joins in the summer. Spends the year there on the bench hardly playing because Madrid. Gets told Bayern are in for him, and either he goes there or he sits in the reserves (ala Bale). Simple choice to make at that point.

And - fun thing - even if Madrid ended up supplementing his wages at Bayern they would still profit on him!
I get what you are saying (especially that you never know in football) but I'm mostly with BoL here....

Eriksen on a free transfer will command wages that take into account the fact he is on a free transfer. If we look at Eriksen's worth and what has been paid to other players then I don't think it is a stretch to assume that he will earn £400,000 a week next year (and maybe even more than that). Once he is on that £400+k a week, it becomes very difficult for another team to pay a transfer fee for him and take on those wages.

I don't think anyone taking on Eriksen will be doing so in order to try to make a profit, I think they'll be doing so because they would like to bring in one of the most creative players in the Premier League. It also might be very difficult for a club to bench a player for a year or two and then expect somebody to buy that player off of them for a decent transfer fee and pay them the same wages.

What has he done that’s so disrespectful ?

Says he fancies a change if something comes up?

He’s honoured the contract he’s signed, not gone on strike, turned up and played.

Compare that to Bales action

First of all, he announced it during one of the most turbulent and important times of our recent history. Secondly, well, he announced it whilst still trying to leave an escape route in which was never on the cards, however he didn't want to be unpopular. He was never signing a new contract. He made it clear weeks ago, so he'd have known months ago. He only wanted Barcelona. When they didn't want him, he decided he'd take RM. AM came in for him early doors and he turned them down.

I won't rehash the Bale situation too much other than to say he was told, in no uncertain terms by Madrid, that if he did NOT push for the move then, they would move on. He had agreed to stick around for another season, thus why he was "the face" of NBC in the US as they looked to bring the Prem to USTV.

I really like Eriksen when he is on song and not distracted. However, during his time with us he has become distracted too often for my liking. He started like a house on fire as soon as he got used to the pace of the PL. I remember virtually expecting him to score every time we got a free-kick outside the penalty area - and he obliged more often than not (especially - and memorably- in the semi-final of the League cup away to some non-descript team which almost knocked us out after we had built up a formidable lead!!).

Then he started talking to us about a new contract - and until that contract was actually signed - his performances deteriorated substantially. He then picked up again but since the start of the year his head has been in Spain and his performances again suffered. His dead ball kicking is now a joke - especially his corners (not be able to beat the first man!) and it was almost two years (or more) till he scored again from a free-kick.

To me, it is clear that he wants to be gone and he won't again reach the heights for us. Consequently, I wouldn't blame Levy for selling him abroad in this window and getting say £60m for him. With that sort of money we should hopefully be able to attract in January another top player to join us (maybe even Dybala) and in the meantime we can hope that Lo Celso, who Poch must rate highly, can fill at least some of the void left by his departure.

Free to Barca next summer to replace Countinho..

Logic suggests that, though if there really are just the 3 clubs which he'd want to move to as reported and none move for him now, then there has to be some doubt that any of those 3 might come in next year even if he is available on a free.

Therefore a decent offer from us close to kane's wages with a release clause for those 3 teams has to be attractive for both. Turning that down could cost Eriksen £6m (being roughly 50 weeks * the £120k increase to take him from £80 to £200k) with no guarantee that he'll get the move he wants next summer

Logic suggests that, though if there really are just the 3 clubs which he'd want to move to as reported and none move for him now, then there has to be some doubt that any of those 3 might come in next year even if he is available on a free.

Therefore a decent offer from us close to kane's wages with a release clause for those 3 teams has to be attractive for both. Turning that down could cost Eriksen £6m (being roughly 50 weeks * the £120k increase to take him from £80 to £200k) with no guarantee that he'll get the move he wants next summer

Why wouldn’t they wait until he is on a free?
Juve have history of doing that
Barca will always like reinforcements who can play
And Madrid will still be a fudging mess this time next year

Why wouldn’t they wait until he is on a free?
Juve have history of doing that
Barca will always like reinforcements who can play
And Madrid will still be a fudging mess this time next year

Football is a fickle thing and a lot can happen in a year, a new coach, president, 'must have' player, a returning hero.
He risks being left behind, having limited playing time and going to a club his heart isn't in, and on his history with us and not being focused that's not a good place.
Ramsey has struck it lucky with juve, so far but let's see how it pans out, but I'd suggest that's not the norm.

Back