• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Characters

We've basically got rid of the only 2 players that you can safely say would fight for everything on the pitch (actually 3 being that Holtby is known for his never say die attitude). Our squad is now full of certified pussies that go missing when things go bad and it's a massive concern. i'm not very confident about the season ahead now.

We've basically got rid of the only 2 players that you can safely say would fight for everything on the pitch (actually 3 being that Holtby is known for his never say die attitude). Our squad is now full of certified pussies that go missing when things go bad and it's a massive concern. i'm not very confident about the season ahead now.

So we already know this is also true of Stambouli and Fazio, not to mention Dier, Davies and Yedlin?

I think it's too early to judge the impact - we'll have a better idea by Xmas.

Maybe somebody in the know could tell us how many characters there were or are in Pocks Southampton side?

The outs were fringe players I. The squad who hadn't figured much over the last 12 months.

By fight for everything on the pitch, do you mean act a bit like headless chickens and be most at risk of picking up a booking?

I like both players and am generally sorry to see Sandro go but I can also see why concerns about his fitness and injury record, him being relatively poor on the ball and his lack of positional discipline may have been contributing factors in our decision to sell.

Holtby was unable to hold down a first team place under any of the Spurs managers he played under and failed to make the most of his loan to Fulham last season. I think that we all found his enthusiasm endearing but that is not the same as being a player that you can rely on.

What both of these players have in common is that neither is particularly suited to defending as a unit.

As for the rest of the team being pussies. Maybe now would be a good time to post that YouTube film of Fazio punching Costa.

People have been talking about our lack of fight and character for as long as i can remember - maybe a clear out of players who have been here for most of that time is a good thing.

I'm not sure about characters, but we do need leaders. Right now I don't see many in our squad.
I hope someone becomes that midfield general we need. Right now we look very lightweight.
Too many of our players go missing in big games.
Poch has shortened the time he has to get things right by getting rid of the fans favourite.

I'm not sure about characters, but we do need leaders. Right now I don't see many in our squad.
I hope someone becomes that midfield general we need. Right now we look very lightweight.
Too many of our players go missing in big games.
Poch has shortened the time he has to get things right by getting rid of the fans favourite.
I don't think there is any more pressure on Poch by selling Sandro than there would have been if he had retained but not played him.

I'm sorry but this really winds me up.

Sandro was a good (not great) international defensive midfield player before his injuries.

He was a personality, in that he loved a sing-song, making videos for the fans and having stupid hair-cuts or facial hair.

However, he's a bit of a Steffen Freund figure if you ask me in that his reputation amongst fans was always a lot more than his performances on the pitch (and his appearances in a Spurs shirt).

Holtby is another.

And you know what? I saw a lot of fans on twitter last night saying how stupid it was to sell Sandro & Holtby because they love the club. The same fans want rid of Townsend and Kane.

Sandro & Holtby don't give two tosses about Spurs.

Holtby's dad was an Everton fan and he has absolutely no connection with Spurs. If Sandro loved us so much, he would have signed a new contract and wouldn't have talked about wanting to play in Italy every summer.

Don't allow yourself to be mugged off by a few self-promoting chest-banging videos and quirky personalities.

Townsend & Kane were born and brought up in the local area supporting Spurs.

If you want to keep players who love the club, for all their faults, then its those guys you need to keep.

Sandro & Holtby were in the side in numerous poor performances.

Characters off the pitch don't cut it for me. I want players who show character on the pitch, who show for the ball even when the going gets tough.

You seem to be implying we lack that kind of character. I don't think so. Do you know what gave me heart against Liverpool? We kept attacking and trying to play our way even at 3-0. It had gone horribly wrong for us, but the heads did not go down, despite what some might have you believe.

The Man Utd team of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Neville etc had no character whatsoever. They're all dull as dish-water personalities when interviewed. But they had character where it mattered, a quiet determination to succeed. It's more of that we need, not chest banging and whacky videos.

I don't think there is any more pressure on Poch by selling Sandro than there would have been if he had retained but not played him.

With the huge number of games we have to play this season, everyone will play. I'm a lot less confident of us challenging in the EL with Sandro gone.

Characters off the pitch don't cut it for me. I want players who show character on the pitch, who show for the ball even when the going gets tough.

You seem to be implying we lack that kind of character. I don't think so. Do you know what gave me heart against Liverpool? We kept attacking and trying to play our way even at 3-0. It had gone horribly wrong for us, but the heads did not go down, despite what some might have you believe.

The Man Utd team of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Neville etc had no character whatsoever. They're all dull as dish-water personalities when interviewed. But they had character where it mattered, a quiet determination to succeed. It's more of that we need, not chest banging and whacky videos.

Agreed with this part at least.

Some of the players on the pitch against Liverpool did show what you're saying. Thought Lamela in particular stood out as someone who kept trying and kept running.

People have been talking about our lack of fight and character for as long as i can remember - maybe a clear out of players who have been here for most of that time is a good thing.

This for me is a valid point too. I've long been saying that there's something not quite right in our squad's attitude, at least looking at it from the outside. The "old guard" had a lot of qualities, but also some pretty big question marks.

I know it would be controversial, but I wouldn't be against Fazio or Stambouli being given the armband. Just to signal a change of attitude - "this is how we do it now".

Poch has shown that he will be ruthless if he has to. Showed it with "his player" Osvaldo at Southampton, got rid of Dawson and Sandro here, Lennon was linked away. Hopefully what remains of the squad will respond well and hopefully new characters will present themselves, we have a lot of candidates.

Agreed with this part at least.

Some of the players on the pitch against Liverpool did show what you're saying. Thought Lamela in particular stood out as someone who kept trying and kept running.

Agree with that and commend him for his efforts.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

By fight for everything on the pitch, do you mean act a bit like headless chickens and be most at risk of picking up a booking?

I like both players and am generally sorry to see Sandro go but I can also see why concerns about his fitness and injury record, him being relatively poor on the ball and his lack of positional discipline may have been contributing factors in our decision to sell.

Holtby was unable to hold down a first team place under any of the Spurs managers he played under and failed to make the most of his loan to Fulham last season. I think that we all found his enthusiasm endearing but that is not the same as being a player that you can rely on.

What both of these players have in common is that neither is particularly suited to defending as a unit.

As for the rest of the team being pussies. Maybe now would be a good time to post that YouTube film of Fazio punching Costa.

No.

My sadness about this window was that Sandro, Dawson and Holtby departed instead of Dembele, Kaboul and Lennon.

And that was both due to character and ability.

Fazio and Stombouli have big shoes to fill.

Also for the first time in memory I don't have particular affinity to any player. Losing Dawson and Sandro quite soon after King is tough.

I can't even name my favourite player any more. I might have to get my next shirt with Pochettino on the back.

My sadness about this window was that Sandro, Dawson and Holtby departed instead of Dembele, Kaboul and Lennon.

Also for the first time in memory I don't have particular affinity to any player. Losing Dawson and Sandro quite soon after King is tough.

I can't even name my favourite player any more. I might have to get my next shirt with Pochettino on the back.

Paulinho instead of Dembele as well as taking out the lasts sentence and i'm fully in agreement.

Paulinho instead of Dembele as well as taking out the lasts sentence and i'm fully in agreement.

I'm willing to give Paulinho another 12 months - especially in the ACM role he played on Thursday, rather than as a CM.

Hopefully those others are the ones that will be offloaded if/when we go back in for any of Moreno/ Musacchio, Schneiderlin or Rodriguez in January or next summer.

Considering your username, who are your favourite players now, the two who would make up a replacement composite name?

I think Lloris and Dier are the closest I have at this point in time.

I'm willing to give Paulinho another 12 months - especially in the ACM role he played on Thursday, rather than as a CM.

Hopefully those others are the ones that will be offloaded if/when we go back in for any of Moreno/ Musacchio, Schneiderlin or Rodriguez in January or next summer.

Considering your username, who are your favourite players now, the two who would make up a replacement composite name?

I think Lloris and Dier are the closest I have at this point in time.

Sadly i don't have a favourite player anymore.

I'll take Lennon over Holtby any day of the week. Happy to discuss if anyone's interested. Moussa? I just don't think he wants it enough with us. Sandro? I'm gutted but I trust the manager to have seen things/know stuff I don't about his fitness/long-term fitness or ability to fit into what he wants to do. Daws? A warrior but we'd all quietly accepted that he wasn't staying surely? Younes worries me, I agree, but I think in Vertonghen, Chiriches, Dier and this Fazio chap, we appear to have 4 CBs who like to play football as well as hoof it aaaaht!

Favorite player? I enjoy Lamela (both for the flashes of genius and the concept -LOL!) but right now, I'd say Nabil Bentaleb is the drive and spirit I'm behind. I hope the lad continues to grow and eventually becomes the skipper I think is in him.

The main reason for this is the constant change by the chairman with regards the constant merry go round involving the managers and players. We cannot get emotionally attached any more.

If I had to say two players I think right now it is Kyle Walker. But even then has he really been injured or was he subject to a massive bid from Spain and told to forget it and so went on strike after he played 45mins in the US. The other being Harry Kane who I would love to get the job up top and Adebayor to be dropped. Ade has got to comfortable IMO. I want Harry Kane to be the future of the England team. That's what I look to now.

TBH those characters did nothing for us when we got smashed 3-0, 6-0, 5-0, 4-0, 4-0, 5-1 last season.

I'd much rather a team which works as one. Characters come after. But I will sorely miss Sandro and Dawson. Loved that they played for my club.

Back