• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League And Europa League Changes

Juventus supremo Agnelli with another proposal to try and kill football :rolleyes:

FA report confirms Champions League plan that would end Premier League top four race
The new plans would ensure that a club outside its country's top four could only enter the Champions League if they had won the title or reached the semi-finals of the Europa League the previous season.

A UEFA plan to limit the amount of clubs able to qualify for the Champions League has been set out in a Football Association report which details the possible end of the Premier League's top four race.

Moves to protect "elite European club revenue streams" are laid out in the FA report, which details the plans that European football's governing body have to expand their continental competitions.

The Premier League has long enjoyed a healthy tussle for the top four places in the division and Champions League qualification.

But such plans - which have long been pushed by Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli - would threaten the competitiveness of the top flight, giving little chance to anyone outside the so-called 'Big Six' of ever sitting at Europe's top table.

The new plans, which would come into force in 2024, state that the 32-team Champions League for the 2024/25 season would be chosen based on UEFA's domestic club rankings from the period between the 2020/21 and 2023/24 seasons - effectively making the tournament a closed shop.

For clubs outside that bracket, entry to future Champions League tournaments would have to come through either winning the Premier League outright, or reaching the semi-finals of a revamped 32-team Europa League.

It is the belief of some clubs that past performance in the Champions League should be placed above domestic results when determining qualifiers for the tournament, with the likes of Roma and Ajax reaching the semi-finals of recent competitions only to miss out on it entirely in future years.

Agnelli cited Roma as an example back in March when he questioned whether it was right for Atalanta to be in this year's competition, “without international history and thanks to just one great season.”

If the plan were to be in place this season then such a move would come as blow to the likes of Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield United, who have been battling it out with the more established sides such as Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham for a spot in the top four.

There are also plans for the Europa League to follow a similar pattern from 2024, with new teams able to qualify via league position or finishing in the last four of the new UEFA Conference League.

"The FA continues to work with all stakeholders to reach an acceptable position," the report adds.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-report-confirms-champions-league-21939361

agnelli cited Roma as an example back in March when he questioned whether it was right for Atalanta to be in this year's competition, “without international history and thanks to just one great season.”

Which is exactly the point of European football. A good domestic season is rewarded with qualification for international tournaments, regardless of past merit, club profile and how much of a clam the chairman is.

Ironically it would also ruin the CL as a competition.

It would be quite possible for the hottest new teams to not be in it, while teams long since past their best would be in by default. Could become lower quality than regular league matches.

Carabao Cup: Uefa Europa Conference League place awaits winners

Last updated on4 hours ago4 hours ago.From the sectionEuropean Football

_114347528_carabao.jpg

Emirates Marketing Project have won the last three EFL Cups, with their European place going to the team sixth or seventh in the Premier League instead
Premier League teams join the Carabao Cup at the second-round stage this week knowing the tournament's winners will enter a new European competition.

The winners of this season's cup will not qualify for the Europa League as in the past, but will instead go into the Uefa Europa Conference League (UECL).

They will enter at the play-off phase, the round before the group stages.

Uefa's third-tier tournament - which was announced in December 2018 - starts next season.

If the EFL Cup winners qualify for Europe through the league - as has happened every year since 2013 - then the sixth-placed team in the Premier League (or seventh place if the FA Cup is won by a top-six team) will go into the UECL play-offs.

There will still be at least four English teams in the Champions League and two in the Europa League.

The Europa Conference League, which will have 32 teams in the group stages, will be played on Thursday nights along with the Europa League, which is reduced from 48 to 32 teams.

The UECL groups are likely to contain teams from some of Europe's smaller countries, as well as teams who finish sixth in Spain, Italy and Germany and win the play-offs - in addition to clubs that lose their Europa League qualifiers.

The winners of the UECL qualify for the following season's Europa League.

A new trophy to go for!!

The 6pm kick offs for the away games would be better for me based on experience of how hammered I got in the 2 hours before kick off in Leverkusen last season

The bottle of jager I bought and was drinking meant I literally do not recall one moment from the game all I remember is getting a cab back to the airport afterwards and somehow getting through security and on the plane after being the drunkest turd ever

Ah yes.
I, too, once drank an entire bottle of Jaeger and was supplementing with fudge knows how many beers through the night. three of us each had a bottle. At one point I vaguely remember laughing and crying at the same time, screaming that I loved Black Sabbath and punching a hole in the corporate apartment wall. I was a young man then. It was rock'n'roll. But Jaeger is different to anything...as you say, large patches where I don't remember, and that never happened before since.

With leagues all over Europe demanding that their best teams get a better chance of actually taking part and the top clubs from the big five leagues unwilling to give up on having the majority of the automatic entries, they're yet again going to make things worse by expanding. The suggestion is to either have 6 groups with 6 teams or have everyone play ten different teams once based on a seeding system to give broadcasters more high profile matches.

The whole reason why it's become so boring is the league format. Too many matches have nothing riding on them and you get the same teams playing each other too frequently. Simply adding more isn't going to make it any better.

With leagues all over Europe demanding that their best teams get a better chance of actually taking part and the top clubs from the big five leagues unwilling to give up on having the majority of the automatic entries, they're yet again going to make things worse by expanding. The suggestion is to either have 6 groups with 6 teams or have everyone play ten different teams once based on a seeding system to give broadcasters more high profile matches.

The whole reason why it's become so boring is the league format. Too many matches have nothing riding on them and you get the same teams playing each other too frequently. Simply adding more isn't going to make it any better.
Add more and make it a 2 legged knockout, even if it is seeded based on recent acheivements / league weighted and inter country draws avoided until the quarters - then the revenue is for achievement within the comp rather than just participation! We all know it won’t happen if course. Football has well and truly lost sight of the original reasons for playing it and forming leagues and competitions in the first place.

If the UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup were brought back in and properly run and incentivised there would be no need for all this.foolishness.

Champions Lea gue should have less teams not more, winners, winners of the other European completions and maybe 2nd place. Keep last year's knockout formar and everything is nice.

So, as long as the top four is made up of "big six" clubs, the two missing out are likely to be upgraded as long as their coefficient is good enough.

Current standings:

Emirates Marketing Project 110
Man Utd 97
Liverpool 95
Arsenal 88
Chelsea 84
Tottenham 82
Leicester 31
Wolves 16

Agnelli expressed concern over the watching habits of the so-called “Gen Z” demographic of 16-to-24-year-olds who “have no interest in football whatsoever.”

“The current system most likely is not delivering for the modern fan,” he said, claiming too many domestic and international games “are simply uncompetitive.”

Solution: Let's add some more matches.

This sort of stuff really annoys me, some of the suggestions are beyond a joke, how the fudge does no transfers between the elite work from an unhappy players perspective?? What appetite would there be to watch a 10th CL game to see who comes 8th and 9th in the league? How can European competition dictate domestic league sizes and scheduling? This is before the idea of heritage and automatic qualification kicks in. I really hope common sense prevails but I do worry with some things that have already become accepted. It’s also a lot of necessary international travel to add more games for everyone.

This sort of stuff really annoys me, some of the suggestions are beyond a joke, how the fudge does no transfers between the elite work from an unhappy players perspective?? What appetite would there be to watch a 10th CL game to see who comes 8th and 9th in the league? How can European competition dictate domestic league sizes and scheduling? This is before the idea of heritage and automatic qualification kicks in. I really hope common sense prevails but I do worry with some things that have already become accepted. It’s also a lot of necessary international travel to add more games for everyone.
The football g̶r̶e̶e̶d̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶t̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ agents are obviously involved in this. A transfer ban between elite clubs, would mean a player would have to transfer to a lesser club first, and then to another club 6 months later. This will line the pockets of those g̶r̶e̶e̶d̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶t̶a̶r̶d̶s̶̶ agents even more, so they're obviously in on these new rules.

The football g̶r̶e̶e̶d̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶t̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ agents are obviously involved in this. A transfer ban between elite clubs, would mean a player would have to transfer to a lesser club first, and then to another club 6 months later. This will line the pockets of those g̶r̶e̶e̶d̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶t̶a̶r̶d̶s̶̶ agents even more, so they're obviously in on these new rules.

Hmmmm, what happens if you have a B team that plays in a lower division, could you do the transfer using them as an intermediary

Hmmmm, what happens if you have a B team that plays in a lower division, could you do the transfer using them as an intermediary
Probably. There is no way they will limit the top clubs in doing whatever they want. They just want to pretend that they are making things more "fair".

In practice though, a player isn’t going to transfer to a lesser club from a top club if they are still of the ability to play at that level are they? So they can’t stop them moving where they want when out of contract and that’s why I can’t work out the intent behind it.

Agnelli expressed concern over the watching habits of the so-called “Gen Z” demographic of 16-to-24-year-olds who “have no interest in football whatsoever.”

“The current system most likely is not delivering for the modern fan,” he said, claiming too many domestic and international games “are simply uncompetitive.”

Solution: Let's add some more matches.

Could it perhaps have something to do with how football's governing bodies have chopped, changed and mutilated a well functioning sport with an established fan culture, and turned it into a greedy, hyped up, commercial freak show whose ties to the supporters are slowly but surely cut in favour of corporate sponsor spectators?

Just putting it out there.

Back