• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League And Europa League Changes

so these 4 countries have had the places drop to 1 per league:

Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, Turkey (4 places) ? ? ?

Now I cant say much in defence of the Ukraine, Turkish or Belgian league as they have not got a team out of the group stage for a long long time.

But Portugal. Well Benfica regularly qualify, as do Porto ( as they did this season ) for the knockout phase. Also Portugal has produced Uefa winners
as recently as 2011 and Porto also won the champions league under Mourinhio.

So why have they had their places taken away?

so these 4 countries have had the places drop to 1 per league:

Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, Turkey (4 places) ? ? ?

Now I cant say much in defence of the Ukraine, Turkish or Belgian league as they have not got a team out of the group stage for a long long time.

But Portugal. Well Benfica regularly qualify, as do Porto ( as they did this season ) for the knockout phase. Also Portugal has produced Uefa winners
as recently as 2011 and Porto also won the champions league under Mourinhio.

So why have they had their places taken away?
Well it has nothing to do with money

Well I read some more into it. And apparently Portugal lost out to Russia in points so dropped from 6th to 7th and they lost a place.

But I think my point is, that a country that regularly produces teams that make it to the knockout phase should not be getting only 1 place. The distribution of these places is rotten, and only weakens the Europa League as well.

The rich will just get richer every year. Im not sure why I still have hope for Football. That we can edge our way into the champions league and try to stay there. Without actually winning anything because its all about the money we get in.

Sad really.

Here's the thing I don't understand: Moura was not cup tied, even though he featured on the bench for PSG in the CL, because he didn't get on the pitch in any game. Yet Obamayang is cup tied, even though Dortmund didn't even play a single game in the EL. Does not compute. o_O

One played, the other didn't. Aubameyang played in the games that qualified Dortmund for the knockout stage of the EL. Theoretically Arsenal and Dortmund could have met.

According to German paper Bild, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin (51) and Andrea Agnelli (43), head of Europe's powerful club federation (ECA) and Juventus, have been discussing a Champions League reform behind closed doors.

In another step towards a super league there would only be four groups, but with eight teams each, and it will be played on weekends because Asian market and money. Everyone would now be guaranteed 14 matches.

Domestic games will have to be played on weekdays, but Agnelli has a solution: Reduce the number of teams in the various leagues.

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/...s-league-uefa-plant-reform-58971698.bild.html

Well I read some more into it. And apparently Portugal lost out to Russia in points so dropped from 6th to 7th and they lost a place.

But I think my point is, that a country that regularly produces teams that make it to the knockout phase should not be getting only 1 place. The distribution of these places is rotten, and only weakens the Europa League as well.

The rich will just get richer every year. Im not sure why I still have hope for Football. That we can edge our way into the champions league and try to stay there. Without actually winning anything because its all about the money we get in.

Sad really.
What a difference a year makes!

What a difference a year makes!

My point about Portugal is still Valid. Porto made it to the Quarter Finals of the Champions league and Benfica did in the Europa as well. When do you ever see any Russian teams get that far? We cant just have the competition filled with the top 4 sides of 4 leagues.

Also the point about the rich getting richer is still valid. In regard to us I was talking about us making into the Top 4 not the actual run in the competition. As you can see by todays restult we still might be just about edging our way in after 12 defeats in a season. I hope the money we have saved from the last two transfer windows and the CL run will help us bring in 2-3 quality players to help our squad for next season.

There is no chance of any of the above happening.

As with international football we are at the maximum of games before it goes sour and dull clubs must realise this.

The only restructure there should be is a third cup for the much smaller teams from Luxembourg etc which will allow them to haven a European campaign and cut the numbers from the europa league.

Back