1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League 2019/20 - Group B: Bayern, Olympiakos, Crvena Zvezda

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 19 May 2019.

1. Jordinho

Jordinho John White Staff Member

Pot 1: CL Winner, EL Winner, Barcelona, Emirates Marketing Project, Juventus, Bayern, PSG, Zenit

Pot 2: Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli

Higher ranked teams already qualified:

Porto (Qualifying round 3)
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Shaktar (Qualifying round 3)

Higher ranked teams still able to qualify:

Arsenal
    Roma

Win the CL and we're pot 1, simples.

Otherwise we'll need one of the other sides to not make the group stage, I think.

Next season's CL run should give us enough points to put us comfortably in pot 2.

2. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

I think we're in pot 2 provided Roma dont finish top 4 in Italy (though I could be wrong!)

Take the worst case scenario for us: Liverpool with the CL (obviously) and Arse beat Chelsea. In that scenario, Liverpool and Arsenal go into pot 1.

Pot 2 then has Real, Athletico, Dortmund, Napoli, Chelsea, Porto, Shakhtar and us, so we're fine

However if Roma do finish top 4, then we'd be reliant on one of Porto or Shakhtar losing their qualifiers, otherwise we'd be in pot 3.

Good thing is that Atalanta need 1 win in their last 2 to get 4th (though one game is away to Juve) and even then Milan are in with a very good chance of finishing ahead of Roma

3. mephitis

mephitis Sebastien Bassong

In the unlikely event of us not winning the UCL Final :p I can't see anyone in Pot 1 that we should be afraid of, even Barca :cool:

4. Jordinho

Roma wouldn't have a chance if they hadn't beaten Juventus shortly after they had won the league. Tonight's it's the last home game, so Juventus will no doubt be up for it again.

5. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

Agreed, and both Milan and Atalanta are more likely to finish 4th that them. In the unlikely event that Atalanta win away to juve tonight, Roma's fate could be sealed

6. greatwhitenorf

greatwhitenorf Mido

Fully expecting Chelsea will fcuk up this EL final and let Arsenal win, just to play nice neighbours with a club they'll do business with. Chelsea are already in and losing players to injury almost daily. Next we'll learn that Giroud has sprained his beard. Would you expect him to nod home a winner against his former club who granted him a soft landing in London? Sois serieux.

Really hoping we see Atalanta make CL from Italy over them entitled, squealing bitches at Acey Meelan. Could do with seeing them miss out on CL for a long time.

7. Jordinho

Atalanta winning at HT, but Inter are losing at Napoli. AC and Roma still have an opening if it stays like this.

8. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

AC aren't really a concern though as they're below us in the rankings. As it stands, Roma are more or less finished aren't they? I assume it goes to goal difference in Italy, or is it like Spain which goes to head-to-head record?

edit: answering my own question, its head to head, though Inter/Roma have drawn twice

Last edited: 19 May 2019
  9. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

This website seems to now be going with my expectation that we'll be 2nd seeds, though be the coefficients which they're putting against the Italian teams, they're saying that Roma cant make it any more which I think is premature. Roma need to win their last game and at least two of Milan, Inter and Atalanta not to win (and the last two to actually lose) but in theory its still possible

https://www.footballseeding.com/european-cups/champions-league-seeding-19-20/

Being in pot 2 (or 1!) makes such a huge difference to chances of qualifying for the knock-outs...

10. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

"Roma Champions League if…

They beat Parma by at least five clear goals and Inter lose 1-0, Atalanta avoid defeat and Milan lose

OR

They beat Parma, while Atalanta, Inter and Milan all lose"

THey use head to head records rather than GD in Italy which complicates things if multiple teams are involved

https://www.football-italia.net/138255/champions-league-qualification-if

11. jaysea67

jaysea67 Espen Baardsen

Agree except Shakhtar don't have to play a qualifier, they get an automatic place in the group stage.

12. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

You're right, though this place says that the do enter in the qualifiers (I knew I hadn't dreamt it up!)

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedcl2019.html

Hopefully though Roma won;t sneak 4th in Italy so it becomes academic.

13. metalgear

metalgear Paul Robinson

no way, hazard will win it singlehandedly - its his swansong

14. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

30 mins to go in the final games in Serie A...Roma not looking like finishing in the top 4 unless Atalanta concede 2, Inter concede 2 and Milan concede 1.

And unless that happens, we're second seeds in the CL next season

johnola likes this.
  15. johnola

johnola Pascal Chimbonda

Second seeds at worst Adam!

Glenda's Legs likes this.
  16. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

Ah, fair point!

johnola likes this.
  17. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

Last edited: 26 May 2019
  18. Legohamster

Legohamster Alf Ramsey

19. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Steffen Iversen

Who cares which teams we get in our group? In the past two seasons we have had Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSV, Inter Milan, Dortmund (and Apoel) in our groups and qualified each time. Yes, this season we made a tough job of it but we did it and I feel as if the only reason that it was tough was due to late goals and/or silly mistakes. I have full confidence that whoever we draw in the group next season that we will qualify from that group.

20. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Michael Carrick

Weren't even a threat this season......never in doubt:D

Chutz, harr1984 and johnola like this.