• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2017/18

I think we are more positive than Atletico, but they are (normally) a bit more ruthless/cynical than us.

The quality in depth of the teams tonight was the biggest difference between us a many of the top teams.
Our second string players are sadly very inferior to the team on display tonight!
Kane papers over many cracks in our squad! we struggled big time in Cyprus.

Manager
Style of play
Capital city
New ground
History but no recent success (I know they have had some now)

Yes there are similarities, but last night team shows our lack of quality across the squad!
Watching the chavs tonight made me annoyed and fearful of the next three CL games!

The quality in depth of the teams tonight was the biggest difference between us a many of the top teams.
Our second string players are sadly very inferior to the team on display tonight!
Kane papers over many cracks in our squad! we struggled big time in Cyprus.

To be fair, some of our squad options are injured. Put, say, a fully fit Lamela and Rose into last night's team and it's much stronger.

Yes there are similarities, but last night team shows our lack of quality across the squad!
Watching the chavs tonight made me annoyed and fearful of the next three CL games!
That's what 20 years of financial doping will do to a squad, it's an absolute credit to our management and football club that we are even in the same elite competition as they are. I personally feel immensely proud and I think every other Spurs fan should to, but at the end of the day it's each to their own..

Also, thinking about it, take out equivalent players from Chelsea's squad and see what team they'd field:

Our injuries/suspensions and Chelsea equivalent player:

Lamela - Willian
Eriksen - Fabregas
Dele- Hazard
Vertonghen - Cahill
Rose - Alonso
Wanyama - Kante
Dembele - Bakayoko

Ok, so name the Chelsea XI with all those players out and then see how they get on against Atletico away...our depth is better than you think.

Last edited:
Also, thinking about it, take out equivalent players from Chelsea's squad and see what team they'd field:

Lamela - Willian
Eriksen - Fabregas
Dele- Hazard
Vertonghen - Cahill
Rose - Alonso
Wanyama - Kante
Dembele - Bakayoko

Ok, so name the Chelsea XI with all those players out and then see how they get on against Atletico away...our depth is better than you think.

They just have had so few injuries it's scary

But my original comments were about Atletico where the similarities lie

That's what 20 years of financial doping will do to a squad, it's an absolute credit to our management and football club that we are even in the same elite competition as they are. I personally feel immensely proud and I think every other Spurs fan should to, but at the end of the day it's each to their own..

Depends on my mood. The financial doping is nothing new it's been going on for many decades to differing degrees. I agree to feeling proud about the current Spurs setup. But I sadly fear when brick comes to bust and we have won nothing. Us being "immensely proud" will chaff somewhat with Kane or whoever running around in a Man U or Real shirt.

My mood last night was not so good after watching PSG and Chelsea. After watching our tie in Cyprus my cup felt a little half full.
We have so many first team players out its horrible.

Lamela - Willian
Eriksen - Fabregas
Dele- Hazard
Vertonghen - Cahill
Rose - Alonso
Wanyama - Kante
Dembele - Bakayoko

This where spending impacts on us. Chelsea did to AM what we did to Dortmund but away and with finesse.

This where spending impacts on us. Chelsea did to AM what we did to Dortmund but away and with finesse.

My point was, take all those players out of their side and they'd struggle to do what they did last night, any team struggles when missing 5/6/7 players. They were very good against Atletico, but our best XI would also give Atletico a proper game, imo.

Depends on my mood. The financial doping is nothing new it's been going on for many decades to differing degrees. I agree to feeling proud about the current Spurs setup. But I sadly fear when brick comes to bust and we have won nothing. Us being "immensely proud" will chaff somewhat with Kane or whoever running around in a Man U or Real shirt.

My mood last night was not so good after watching PSG and Chelsea. After watching our tie in Cyprus my cup felt a little half full.
We have so many first team players out its horrible.
Financial doping has been nothing like to this current degree since Roman took over. Completely different levels.

Back