• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2017/18 - Round of 16: Juventus

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Teams that have qualified for the group stage:

Real Madrid (ESP)
Barcelona (ESP)
Chelsea (ENG)
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
Bayern München (GER)
RB Leipzig (GER)
Juventus (ITA)
Monaco (FRA)
Benfica (POR)
Porto (POR) (Unless Sporting make up 6 points and 21 goals in two games)
Spartak Moscow (RUS)
Shaktar Donetsk (UKR)
FC Basel (SUI)

Some of the teams that have qualified, but could/will play in the qualifying rounds:

Atletico Madrid (ESP)
Borussia Dortmund (GER)
Hoffenheim (GER)
PSG (FRA)
Nice (FRA)
Sporting (POR)
Feyenoord (NED)
Ajax (NED)
Celtic (SCO)
Olympiakos (GRE)
Dynamo Kiev (UKR)

Pot 1 will be the winner's of this year's CL and the title holders from Spain, England, Germany, Italy, France, Russia and Portugal.

If the winners of this year's competition also win their domestic league, the final pot 1 place goes to the league champion of Ukraine. Since Shaktar have a higher coefficient than us it could mean a better chance of making pot 2.

Was waiting for this thread to be started!

Realistically, we're going to be pot 3 again arent we? Currently ranked 20th and I can only see 3 teams above us in the rankings who wont be in the CL next year (Leverkusen, Arse, Schalke)...so we'd be reliant on a team above us (ie a pretty decent team) losing a play-off wouldnt we?

Realistically, we're going to be pot 3 again arent we? Currently ranked 20th and I can only see 3 teams above us in the rankings who wont be in the CL next year (Leverkusen, Arse, Schalke)...so we'd be reliant on a team above us (ie a pretty decent team) losing a play-off wouldnt we?

Replying to my own post....actually Zenit are above us and are currently vying with CSKA for hte 2nd Russian spot in the CL so there could be 4 teams above us who dont qualify

You have to remember that Pot 1 consists of the champions from the biggest leagues.

This means that teams like AS Monaco and Spartak Moscow, who have a lower seeding coeffecient than Spurs, will be in Pot 1, if they as expected win their leagues.

I think our chances of ending up in Pot 2 are very slim, unfortunately.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/access2017.html

Most likely scenario:
Pot 1: Real, Chelsea, Bayern, Juve, Monaco, Spartak Moscow, Benfica, Shaktar
Pot 2: Barcelona, Atletico, PSG, Dortmund, Sevilla, Emirates Marketing Project, Porto, Man Utd
Likely to qualify with a higher coefficient than us: Napoli, Zenit.

So we need three of the above not to make it to the CL group stage to make it into Pot 2. Options are Zenit (if they finish third, or second and don't qualify for the group stage); Sevilla (if they don't qualify for the group stage); and one (possible) or both (unlikely) Manchester clubs. I think being in Pot 2 would be a major advantage over being in Pot 3. So in the next two weeks or so, we would have to support Liverpool (PL), CSKA in Russia, and Ajax/Lyon in the Europa League final. And if PSG win the Ligue 1, Monaco should not win the CL.

Most likely scenario:
Pot 2: Barcelona, Atletico, PSG, Dortmund, Sevilla, Emirates Marketing Project, Porto, Man Utd

So we need three of the above not to make it to the CL group stage to make it into Pot 2. Options are Zenit (if they finish third, or second and don't qualify for the group stage); Sevilla (if they don't qualify for the group stage); and one (possible) or both (unlikely) Manchester clubs. I think being in Pot 2 would be a major advantage over being in Pot 3. So in the next two weeks or so, we would have to support Liverpool (PL), CSKA in Russia, and Ajax/Lyon in the Europa League final. And if PSG win the Ligue 1, Monaco should not win the CL.

Based on those pots, we need a lucky draw and excellent performances to get into the last 16.

Would maybe want Shaktar and Porto? Would probably get Bayern and Barca!

Based on those pots, we need a lucky draw and excellent performances to get into the last 16.

Would maybe want Shaktar and Porto? Would probably get Bayern and Barca!

Barca and Bayern in the same group would probably be a bit of an overkill, but I would seriously love it if we met one of them. Get a chance to play the absolute best in Europe, and see where we stand. We got torn to pieces by Dortmund a bit over a year ago (playing a weak side), but would be interesting to see how our best side fared against the real heavy weights these days. Of course there's a financial aspect to take into consideration here, we should get as far as possible, but I'd rather we play at least two high profile teams than get a socalled "easy" group as we did last year.

Most likely scenario:

Zenit lost today and are a point behind CSKA with 3 games left.
Another possibility for help is for Napoli not to reach the group stage. They are currently 3rd which would give entry to the play-off round.
I will be supporting Ajax/Lyon in the EL final if they're playing Man Utd, but I'd rather they're playing Celta Vigo!

Last edited:
what a great thread, i was feeling a little down over the weekend but this is what its about, we're already in the big boys tournament, no playing on thursday for us, Hurrah!!

Am I hearing this right?
We will be 3rd seeds and Man U in the pot above despite the fact theyve haven't finished in the to p 4 since 2015 and not qualifying for Europe at all the year prior?

Why don't we go the whole hog and invite Liverpool straight into the semi-finals like UEFA always seem to do

Sent from my E5823 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Am I hearing this right?
We will be 3rd seeds and Man U in the pot above despite the fact theyve haven't finished in the to p 4 since 2015 and not qualifying for Europe at all the year prior?

Why don't we go the whole hog and invite Liverpool straight into the semi-finals like UEFA always seem to do

United have gotten more coefficient points than us in 4 of the last 5 seasons (including this one). This season alone they'll get about 15 points more than us, which is more than what we managed the one season they missed out.

Yeah I understand the logic but then you get Leicester, who came from nowhere as 1st seeds. You either go on past performance or you don't.

They changed the rules a couple seasons ago.

Champions should always be seeded first

I would actually do away with the seeding - only stop same league teams being drawn together.

Thanks to a brilliant 0-0 from Hoffenheim at home to lowly Augsburg and two late Dortmund penalties in their game, Hoffenheim finished fourth in Germany.

Bayern, Leipzig and Dortmund to the group stage, Hoffenheim to the playoff round.

From Italy it will be Juventus, Napoli and Roma, but their finishing positions are still undecided.

From Turkey it will be Besiktas and Istanbul Basaksehir. The champion is directly qualified for the group stage.

Qualified for the group stage:

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Tottenham, Chelsea, Bayern, RB Leipzig, Dortmund, PSG, Monaco, Feyenoord, Anderlecht, Shaktar, Porto, Benfica, Basel, Spartak Moscow,

Playoffs:

Sevilla, Hoffenheim, Sporting

3rd qualifying round:

Nice, Ajax, Dynamo Kiev, Steaua Bucuresti, Young Boys, Olympiakos, Viitorul Constanta (Romanian champions), Gent/Club Brugge, Slavia Prague, Viktoria Plzen, CSKA Moscow/Zenit

2nd qualifying round:

Celtic (SCO), Salzburg (AUT), FC København (DEN), Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL), BATE Borisov (BLS), APOEL Nicosia (CYP), NK Maribor (SLO), Garabag, Agdam (AZB), Malmø FF (SWE), FK Astana (KAZ), Rosenborg (NOR), Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR), Dundalk (IRL), Vardar Skopje (MAC), Mariehamn (FIN), Spartaks Jurmala (LAT), Samtredia (GEO), Hafnarfjordur (ISL), Zilina (SVK), Zalgiris Vilnius (LIT)

1st qualifying round: TNS (WAL), Linfield (NIR), Vikingur (FAR), Hibernians (MLT), Santa Coloma (AND), Infonet Tallinn (EST), Trepca 89 (KOS)

Of the 19 clubs that currently have a higher coefficient than Spurs, only Schalke, Leverkusen and ManU have failed to qualify so far, while Zenit could join them. ManU can get a spot by winning the EL and Liverpool can prevent one of City and Arsenal from qualifying. Most likely there will be 15 clubs seeded higher than us, but Monaco and Spartak Moscow get a place in pot 1 for winning the league.

If everyone maintain their current league positions and all the highest seeds make it through (highly unlikely):

Pot 1 (Champions)
Real, Juventus, Chelsea, Bayern, Benfica, Monaco, Spartak Moscow, Shaktar Donetsk

Pot 2
Barcelona, Atletico, PSG, Dortmund, Sevilla, Emirates Marketing Project, Porto, Man Utd

Pot 3
Napoli, Tottenham, Basel, Dynamo Kiev, Ajax, Olympiakos, Monaco, Anderlecht

Pot 4
Liverpool, Roma, Besiktas, Celtic, Viktoria Plzen, Sporting, Leipzig, Feyenoord

We need Ajax to win the EL, Liverpool to finish fourth and someone to fail in the playoffs.

Thanks to a brilliant 0-0 from Hoffenheim at home to lowly Augsburg and two late Dortmund penalties in their game, Hoffenheim finished fourth in Germany.

Bayern, Leipzig and Dortmund to the group stage, Hoffenheim to the playoff round.

From Italy it will be Juventus, Napoli and Roma, but their finishing positions are still undecided.

From Turkey it will be Besiktas and Istanbul Basaksehir. The champion is directly qualified for the group stage.

Qualified for the group stage:

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Tottenham, Chelsea, Bayern, RB Leipzig, Dortmund, PSG, Monaco, Feyenoord, Anderlecht, Shaktar, Porto, Benfica, Basel, Spartak Moscow,

Playoffs:

Sevilla, Hoffenheim, Sporting

3rd qualifying round:

Nice, Ajax, Dynamo Kiev, Steaua Bucuresti, Young Boys, Olympiakos, Viitorul Constanta (Romanian champions), Gent/Club Brugge, Slavia Prague, Viktoria Plzen, CSKA Moscow/Zenit

2nd qualifying round:

Celtic (SCO), Salzburg (AUT), FC København (DEN), Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL), BATE Borisov (BLS), APOEL Nicosia (CYP), NK Maribor (SLO), Garabag, Agdam (AZB), Malmø FF (SWE), FK Astana (KAZ), Rosenborg (NOR), Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR), Dundalk (IRL), Vardar Skopje (MAC), Mariehamn (FIN), Spartaks Jurmala (LAT), Samtredia (GEO), Hafnarfjordur (ISL), Zilina (SVK), Zalgiris Vilnius (LIT)

1st qualifying round: TNS (WAL), Linfield (NIR), Vikingur (FAR), Hibernians (MLT), Santa Coloma (AND), Infonet Tallinn (EST), Trepca 89 (KOS)

Of the 19 clubs that currently have a higher coefficient than Spurs, only Schalke, Leverkusen and ManU have failed to qualify so far, while Zenit could join them. ManU can get a spot by winning the EL and Liverpool can prevent one of City and Arsenal from qualifying. Most likely there will be 15 clubs seeded higher than us, but Monaco and Spartak Moscow get a place in pot 1 for winning the league.

If everyone maintain their current league positions and all the highest seeds make it through (highly unlikely):

Pot 1 (Champions)
Real, Juventus, Chelsea, Bayern, Benfica, Monaco, Spartak Moscow, Shaktar Donetsk

Pot 2
Barcelona, Atletico, PSG, Dortmund, Sevilla, Emirates Marketing Project, Porto, Man Utd

Pot 3

Pot 4

We need Ajax to win the EL, Liverpool to finish fourth and someone to fail in the playoffs.

Was hoping that Hoffenheim would grab 3rd so that Dortmund went into the play-offs and a potential opponent for Liverpool or Arse. Hoffenheim must been half decent though and perhaps people will under-estimate them as they're a smaller name

Pot 1 (Champions)

Pot 2

Pot 3

Pot 4

Monaco in Pot 1 and Pot 3! :confused: Unfortunately, Liverpool are likely to be seeded in the play-off and in Pot 3 if they make it to the group stage.

Only 5 teams can qualify from the play-offs through the league route and I think there are more than 5 included in the list above. The lower ranked teams like Viktoria Plzen and Sporting Lisbon should be replaced by seeded teams from the champions route, like Red Bull Salzburg and Copenhagen. (Although there is some doubt whether both Leipzig and Salzburg will be allowed to compete due to their apparent common ownership).

At least Zenit, who would have been ranked above us, today failed to qualify for the Champions League and Liverpool took 4th.

As you say, in order for Spurs to get into Pot 2 we would need Ajax to win the EL and a team ranked above us to fail in the play-offs (the current options look to be Sevilla or Napoli) - or, if Man Utd win the EL, we need 2 teams ranked above us to be knocked out in the play-offs.

Back