• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

I play the game slightly differently.

I let my wife choose the type of car and then go out and buy the fastest one of that type that I can find, so far it’s worked out pretty well.

On the contrary.

I played the game properly - I bought my wife a car first, then I got to go and choose pretty much any car that has 4 doors for myself.

I can picture you in the old crocks race from London down to Brighton in a car that you start by winding up a handle at the front of the car.

Had my Passat for a week now, and after the first 1000 km I love it! The power of the 2.0 177bhp diesel is immense, and I love the adaptive cruise control and the adaptive headlight assistant. Makes driving so relaxed and easy. Super comfortable seats, and the space inside is huge. Very satisfied.

Any tips for buying a car from a dealership? I'm off to start looking seriously today and don't have too much experience buying cars. How much can you usually haggle a dealer down from the listed price? Anyone got a solid technique? Is there anything I should ask for etc. Bit worried about looking like a mug and not getting the best deal.

Any tips for buying a car from a dealership? I'm off to start looking seriously today and don't have too much experience buying cars. How much can you usually haggle a dealer down from the listed price? Anyone got a solid technique? Is there anything I should ask for etc. Bit worried about looking like a mug and not getting the best deal.

There are loads of variables to those questions Show me the car you are looking at, and I/we will try to give some advice

Go in there loaded with information.

Whatcar and Parkers are good places to get a free valuation of a car. It will tell you the auction value (what the dealer probably paid for it unless it's owned by a brand), poor condition, average, good, trade in price, etc. Get two quotes, they'll be close but different. The dealer will tell you that those figures are flimflam, so make sure you have a couple of similar cars looked up on autotrader as well so you can show him market value.

If you're trading in, do the same with the car you're selling. He will try and give you less than the auction value as that will guarantee him a profit even if he can't sell on the forecourt - don't take that! Be prepared to put down a deposit and wait while you sell privately.

If you have market prices, he will try to tell you that he has to charge more because he guarantees the car in a way that a private seller won't/can't. If the car he's selling is in as good condition as he's telling you, then there's nothing to guarantee. He'll tell you that his prices are higher because of overheads that private sellers/smaller sellers don't have - that's a him problem, not a you problem.

Finally his two big weapons in a car sale (and I always, always fall for them) are impatience and desire. If you're anything like me you're desperate to get your hands on the new car - be prepared to wait, be prepared for someone else to buy that car and for you to have to find another. If you've agreed a purchase price, then be prepared to pay a deposit and wait for a while as you sell your car. Unless you're buying a particularly rare car, there will be hundreds to choose from - new ones will be on the market every day/week. Don't make the mistake of getting fixated on that particular car, there will be plenty more.

Edit:

Sorry, just read your post properly and you said dealership.

Let me know which brand and I'll respond properly.

Rule number one. Always be prepared to walk away. Dont 'fall in love' with a car. There is always another one somewhere else.

@scaramanga
I have decided to get my old tub sorted. It had a crankshaft sensor fault, so I'm replacing that and the Camshaft sensor while Im at it. I looked at a new Golf estate £26k :mad:!!!! Which was ideal 'practicality wise' but it feels like its made of yogurt pots by comparison.

You enjoying your mid life crisis?

@scaramanga
I have decided to get my old tub sorted. It had a crankshaft sensor fault, so I'm replacing that and the Camshaft sensor while Im at it. I looked at a new Golf estate £26k :mad:!!!! Which was ideal 'practicality wise' but it feels like its made of yogurt pots by comparison.

You enjoying your mid life crisis?
Mid life crisis is going great thanks! One thing I've discovered about driving this car is that everyone wants to talk about it with you. No matter where you park, there's always someone wants to know what it's like, how fast I've had it up to, etc. The number of people in traffic who ask me to rev the tits off if it is getting silly now though.

Those sensors sound expensive! Do they need doing before you sell?

If the VW doesn't feel sturdy enough, have you looked at the A3 sportback? I've never driven one, but I'm told recent models have a similar build quality to BMW but without the luxury badge premium.

Not fully decided yet but looking at Q3,Q5, Tiguans, BMW X?? Etc.

Looking for something used (max 5 years old) half decent that will not drop too much in value as I only need it for about 18months.

Price range 13-17k

There are loads of variables to those questions Show me the car you are looking at, and I/we will try to give some advice

If it’s a new car you are after get some quotes from carwow, most dealers will match the best offer you get on there.

So how do you make the argument when, for example something is up for 15k and it's value for excellent private sale is like 13k or what it might be? Surely the salesman is ready for you to bring it up and has an answer right?

So how do you make the argument when, for example something is up for 15k and it's value for excellent private sale is like 13k or what it might be? Surely the salesman is ready for you to bring it up and has an answer right?
He probably does. Then it's a matter of you to decide what is the best value for you. For instance, how much is a 12 month guarantee worth for you. Also try to get additional stuff included in the deal, such as new tires, polishing kit etc.

They may tell you that a value is the very lowest they can go, that they are not allowed to sell lower. If you're part exchanging your old car then just tell them "That's OK, you can make up the difference on what you can give me for mine."

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question but let's say I find something that's up for 15k how cheeky would you start at with your offer? I mean I don't wanna go way too low and get laughed at but also don't wanna say 14.5 and have them rubbing theirs hands behind their back

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question but let's say I find something that's up for 15k how cheeky would you start at with your offer? I mean I don't wanna go way too low and get laughed at but also don't wanna say 14.5 and have them rubbing theirs hands behind their back
You don't have to name a price, you're not selling. Just ask them what they can do and keep telling them it's not enough.

If they ask you what your price is, just say "less".

Back