• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Re: Back Page tomorrow Mirror - Lewis to sell 1 Billion Tottenham

it's up on their website if anyone wants to take a look...

Tottenham insisted on Wednesday night there are no plans to relinquish control, but Mirror Sport understands the club are desperate for new boss Mauricio Pochettino to lead them back into the Champions League to increase the appeal to fresh investors.

seems to be the guts of the article :lol:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-up-sale-owner-joe-4197493

[h=2]The 77-year-old businessman is ready to cash in on £22m investment he made in 2001 but has received no interest with Spurs still Champions League outsiders[/h]
<!-- end of widget id: 2230650, name: storyContent, view: articleRefresh --> <!-- start of widget id: 2230675, name: pageTools, view: mediaShare -->
  • 120 Shares
  • <!-- -->Share
  • <!-- -->Tweet
  • <!-- -->+1
  • <!-- -->Email

<!-- end of widget id: 2230675, name: pageTools, view: mediaShare -->
<!-- start of widget id: 81013, name: storyContent, view: article --> <!-- end of widget id: 81013, name: storyContent, view: article -->
<!-- start of widget id: 2230659, name: relatedContents, view: pictures --> <figure class="inline-image clearfix ">Getty Images
Tottenham-Hotspur-football.jpg

<figcaption>White Hart Gain: Joe Lewis stands to make a massive profit after buying Spurs for £22m </figcaption></figure><!-- end of widget id: 2230659, name: relatedContents, view: pictures --> <!-- start of widget id: 2230521, name: storyContent, view: articleRefresh --> Spurs owner Joe Lewis is ready to sell the club.
Mirror Sport understands the 77-year-old businessman has been ready to cash in on his investment for some time and now wants a staggering £1billion for the north Londoners.
There has so far been no interest as any potential buyers will need to assume the financial burden of the club’s new stadium - said to be around £400million.
But it is felt any takers would benefit from the increased revenue generated by the 56,000-seater venue, income from naming rights and TV cash.
Self-made billionaire Lewis controls ENIC International Ltd, which bought a controlling stake in Spurs from Alan Sugar back in 2001 for around £22million.
Tottenham insisted on Wednesday night there are no plans to relinquish control, but Mirror Sport understands the club are desperate for new boss Mauricio Pochettino to lead them back into the Champions League to increase the appeal to fresh investors.
Spurs revealed a fresh stumbling block earlier in the day relating to their stadium plans, as they now face having to play all of their home matches away from White Hart Lane for one season.

<figure class="inline-image clearfix ">Tottenham Hotspur FC/PA
Tottenham-Hotspur-FC.jpg

<figcaption>To dare is to do... eventually: Spurs' 56,000-seat new home is being delayed by legal issues </figcaption></figure> A legal wrangle has left them “highly unlikely” to move into their new arena in time for the 2017-18 season.
Plans for the 56,250-capacity ground, to be built next to the current stadium, are being challenged by the landowners.
In a statement, Spurs said: “The club has revised its construction programme in order to take the shortest possible time to construct.
“This now therefore involves the club moving away from the Lane during construction for a period of one season, to start at the beginning of a season in order to comply with Premier League rules.
“We are currently undertaking due diligence on alternative stadium options.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-up-sale-owner-joe-4197493#ixzz3CxA6ANe2
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

He's probably spent closer to 100 million, but that 1 billion suggestion is just laughable. Nobody is going pay that. If it includes paying for the stadium we might be getting closer to the real figure.

though in fairness it does seem a strange story to pluck out of thin air, so there could be some truth in it - maybe the delay on the stadium has gotten the best of him

A bit late in the year - July is usually the time for the annual 'the Arabs are coming' nonsense story.

15 years and people still spout the ENIC 'not in it for the long term' crap.

A bit late in the year - July is usually the time for the annual 'the Arabs are coming' nonsense story.

15 years and people still spout the ENIC 'not in it for the long term' crap.

IMO would be a different story if not for Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project

IMO would be a different story if not for Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project

You could say that strengthens GBs stance - if they were in it for a quick profit they'd surely have cut their losses once the task of establishing ourselves in the top 4 became infintley harder with the emergence of the billionaire playboys

You could say that strengthens GBs stance - if they were in it for a quick profit they'd surely have cut their losses once the task of establishing ourselves in the top 4 became infintley harder with the emergence of the billionaire playboys

What losses?!!

Even if ENIC sold the club for £300m (which is very much at the low end of the current achievable spectrum, I'd have thought, even without the new stadium), they'd still be making a profit in the region of £150m (an ROI of 100%)!!

Back Page tomorrow Mirror - Lewis to sell 1 Billion Tottenham

....in that if their aim was to establish us in the CL and sell with a new stadium further along then the target price would have been much higher

I love the fact that there is no basis for this article but that the one fact they do present us with - that Tottenham have totally denied the story - is immediately dismissed!

Tabloid journalism. Arf!

Story makes no sense whatever. Why would JL choose to sell just when Archway have gone to appeal? Surely the time to sell is immediately after he's won the appeal?

Or does Joe Lewis know something we don't?

He's probably spent closer to 100 million, but that 1 billion suggestion is just laughable. Nobody is going pay that. If it includes paying for the stadium we might be getting closer to the real figure.

I'd estimate that, after the recent £40m cash injection to clear debts, ENIC's total investment in Spurs is now in the region of £150m.

....in that if their aim was to establish us in the CL and sell with a new stadium further along then the target price would have been much higher

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was just your choice of words, mate!

The story doesn't seem to have any actual solid foundation. BUT, at some point Lewis is going to divest. The guy is 77; does he really want to be dealing with major investments in his 80s? My guess is at some point he'll cash out and set himself up a foundation or whatever it is that a billionaire like him wants to be remembered for. Wouldn't surprise me if he's already a couple of years past his notional cash-out date (thanks to the stadium delays and our yo-yoing around the Champions League).

Obviously this is pure speculation, but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Lewis becomes more active in trying to sell the club in the near future. That's nothing to do with ENIC wanting "a quick buck"... they've already owned the club for 14 years and while they've not poured cash into the club like the playboy owners, they've not exactly asset-stripped it either. And it's in a vastly better position now than it was when they took over - even with the Archway Steel delay. So if Lewis turned around and said - in his best Danny Glover voice - "I'm too old for this sh*t", I wouldn't be at all surprised.

But I would be very concerned at what comes next... I've been happy with Levy (unlike more than a few fans) and a change of owner / change of chairman can literally destroy a club if it goes wrong. It'll be a huge leap into the unknown when it happens.

The story doesn't seem to have any actual solid foundation. BUT, at some point Lewis is going to divest. The guy is 77; does he really want to be dealing with major investments in his 80s? My guess is at some point he'll cash out and set himself up a foundation or whatever it is that a billionaire like him wants to be remembered for. Wouldn't surprise me if he's already a couple of years past his notional cash-out date (thanks to the stadium delays and our yo-yoing around the Champions League).

Obviously this is pure speculation, but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Lewis becomes more active in trying to sell the club in the near future. That's nothing to do with ENIC wanting "a quick buck"... they've already owned the club for 14 years and while they've not poured cash into the club like the playboy owners, they've not exactly asset-stripped it either. And it's in a vastly better position now than it was when they took over - even with the Archway Steel delay. So if Lewis turned around and said - in his best Danny Glover voice - "I'm too old for this sh*t", I wouldn't be at all surprised.

But I would be very concerned at what comes next... I've been happy with Levy (unlike more than a few fans) and a change of owner / change of chairman can literally destroy a club if it goes wrong. It'll be a huge leap into the unknown when it happens.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. we have come leaps and bounds from the ****e that was most of the nineties. I truly shudder to think about where we might end up when Levy & Enic leave..

1 billion :lol:

But I would be very concerned at what comes next... I've been happy with Levy (unlike more than a few fans) and a change of owner / change of chairman can literally destroy a club if it goes wrong. It'll be a huge leap into the unknown when it happens.[/QUOTE

Yeah, but a £1billion price tag makes it clear to prospective buyers - No Bozos.

It's a serious sum that weeds out a big number of dingbats looking for a quick buck and some cheap self aggrandizing.

I'm a big admirer of what Levy has done so far.

I want to sell my house. 50m.

Any takers? No.. ok then.

Back