• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Car Insurance Question

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
We have 2 cars in our family one I'm the named driver on and the other my mrs, her renewal has come through and it's crazy expensive so my question is can I have 2 different insurance policies where I'm the main policy holder and she is a named driver on both ??

Yes you can.

But if it can be proven that she does most of the miles you'll be in trouble.

I had to take my wife off of my insurance completely due to recent increases.

Yes you can.

But if it can be proven that she does most of the miles you'll be in trouble.

I had to take my wife off of my insurance completely due to recent increases.
To be fair, during the week she will do the school runs but I do most of the weekend driving so I probably just do

To be fair, during the week she will do the school runs but I do most of the weekend driving so I probably just do
The rule is "main driver" - obviously that's not an objective measure.

I bought my wife's car and kept it in my name. That way if this comes up, it allows me to do the same quite easily.

We have 2 cars in our family one I'm the named driver on and the other my mrs, her renewal has come through and it's crazy expensive so my question is can I have 2 different insurance policies where I'm the main policy holder and she is a named driver on both ??

Apologies if stating the obvious but has she/you tried phoning around some other insurers or brokers? It really can make a big difference. It could be that her current insurer’s underwriters have changed their criteria, leading to a raise in premium, but other insurers may rate her differently.
I’m been as guilty as anyone in just accepting what comes through at renewal for lack of time or inclination to question what I’m being asked to pay, but when I have bothered to ring around it has usually been worth the effort.

Apologies if stating the obvious but has she/you tried phoning around some other insurers or brokers? It really can make a big difference. It could be that her current insurer’s underwriters have changed their criteria, leading to a raise in premium, but other insurers may rate her differently.
I’m been as guilty as anyone in just accepting what comes through at renewal for lack of time or inclination to question what I’m being asked to pay, but when I have bothered to ring around it has usually been worth the effort.
Premiums as a whole have gone up this year.

One thing that really stood out to me is that despite being a safe bet for insurers (late 30s, max no claims, no points, safe job, etc), I couldn't get a policy anywhere with less than about £300 excess. That's an increase that's been snuck in behind the headline increases - mine used to be £100 compulsory and £50 voluntary, even when I was young.

The IPT has gone up.
I always threaten to leave when I get a renewal figure too high and say that I’ve got a quote for x amount. The disparity between the cheapest and expensive quotes on mine were nearly 2k which I could never understand, irrespective of criteria used to determine.

I have 12 years no claims protected etc

I had to cancel my policy - just to get the same policy with the same company but as a new quote through their website (Tesco) as they couldn't offer me the same price directly.

The IPT has gone up.
I always threaten to leave when I get a renewal figure too high and say that I’ve got a quote for x amount. The disparity between the cheapest and expensive quotes on mine were nearly 2k which I could never understand, irrespective of criteria used to determine.

I have 12 years no claims protected etc
I think there's been a sneaking up of prices too though. I think IPT increases are a convenient way to hide a price bump without seeming like the bad guys to consumers. My renewal (after shopping around) went from around £550 to £750 with no changes in circumstance.

Premiums as a whole have gone up this year.

One thing that really stood out to me is that despite being a safe bet for insurers (late 30s, max no claims, no points, safe job, etc), I couldn't get a policy anywhere with less than about £300 excess. That's an increase that's been snuck in behind the headline increases - mine used to be £100 compulsory and £50 voluntary, even when I was young.
This is definitely an issue. Almost makes small claims not worth claiming for. The other thing to look for is a company that lets you make as many changes/alterations to your policy online and for free. Some dont, and will quite happily charge you £25 a pop.

Basically everyone should move every 12 months. They rely on automatic renewals. BUT 'new' customers are welcomed with deals, promises to beat any quote and a chunk of cashback if you use quidco or topcashback (which everyone should be,it's no extra effort).

Just imagined you sitting there with a dial telephone and yellow pages doing the ring round and going thru the same 100 questions with 20 insurers, not knowing the 'interweb' had been invented.:);)

:oops: Not too far from the truth. Old fashioned that I am. :)
(And I actually threw out a Yellow Pages and a Thomson at the weekend, I had always kept them "just in case").

I do most of my insurance through the union now, they seem to get good rates, based on volumes I suppose. Still worth comparing though.

Just imagined you sitting there with a dial telephone and yellow pages doing the ring round and going thru the same 100 questions with 20 insurers, not knowing the 'interweb' had been invented.:);)
One of the companies I found on a comparison site had a really good deal, so I chose them. I got an email telling me that my policy hadn't started until I called and spoke to someone (I assumed to confirm payment).

10 minutes of holding later I find myself talking to a call centre fudgewit who wants me to answer every single question again that I've already answered on the website. After 15 minutes of this, I'm then told that I had to hold whilst the underwriters verified the quote. After another 5 minutes of waiting I'm told that the underwriters are going to increase the policy by £125.

fudging tossers. It's not even the flimflam pricing that bothers me, it's the waste of my time. Word of warning - if someone starts taking you through the information you've already given them, give them 30 seconds to activate your policy or cancel it.

Back