• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Canning Town Bingo Club

Much as it rankles me to say it Lampard was a top (top) player. Triffic even. I swear 50% of Lampard's goals were deflected shots but there is no doubt he put a ton of them away. His passing was a bit underrated too. He was an excellent passer but strangely got little credit for it (oddly a little bit like Roy Keane who barely misplaced a pass in his entire man utd career but was remembered for tackling). Redknap was bang on, on this one.

Harry was no master tactician but he could put the jigsaw pieces together well. I'll give him that. The big piles of money moving around in front of him was his weakness.

He had his limitations of course, but he simplified things. When he came in, Ramos was resting King for the league games to preserve him for the UEFA cup despite our putrid league form at the time. Harry sorted out that nonsense immediately and managed him and his fitness about as well as anyone could have done really.

He also identified that we had a soft underbelly and brought in Palacios who did an important job at a time when we desperately needed some steel. We ended up with the best home defensive record in the league that season IIRC in spite of our GHod awful start to the season.

I imagine it would be a similar outcome if some of his critics on here were to sit in front of him and question him, he would make complete mugs of them too.

Completely agree with Lemonade Money, he wasn't a master tactician and he's sketchy to say the least but the football we played under him was brilliant, by far the most exciting, enteratining football of my lifetime supporting Spurs. Yeah of course we underachieved in his last season but he broke the duck of Spurs not qualiftying for the CL and ended our long winless streaks at two bogey grounds Arsenal and Liverpool.

The thing I liked about the video was how diplomatic he was for someone who was having one of his young, talented players (and judgement) questioned. All 'it's your opinion, you're entitled to hold it, this game is all about opinions...but you're a c*nt.'

I sat through the whole thing waiting for him to go full on 'Fack orf, I'm a fackin' football manager', but it never really came. :p Overall, I don't see how anyone could hold any real grudges against the man. He was a good manager, one we badly needed, and one who came in and *vastly* exceeded the expectations that accompanied his initial appointment. Okay, he had the tactical nous of a carrot and thought the word 'rotation' was something only car mechanics needed to know...but sometimes all you really do need is a man who can consistently put the best eleven players on a pitch and tell them 'go out and be the players you believe yourselves to be'.

The shady money he kept getting caught up with wasn't our concern for the most part - the England farce was, but honestly that season was in danger when we ended January with Saha and Nelsen as our only incoming transfers anyway.

Personally, I'll always be grateful to the man - I remember sitting on the balcony of a guest house in Salzburg on one crisp, silent evening in December 2008, cup of steaming coffee in hand, contentedly scrolling through the BBC's match report of the Spurs-United game earlier that day that ended 0-0. At the end of it, I remember feeling amazed that I'd become so accustomed to expecting a result against the teams we were facing, even United, just a few months after the chaos, horror and agony that accompanied the start of that season. That late, late win against Liverpool. That away victory against a newly-minted City. That unforgettable draw against Arsenal. We were winning and drawing against the big boys (back when they actually still were the vaunted 'Big Four' and company), and we were alive again.

And I remember contentedly looking out at the deep, velvet sky above those quiet Austrian church spires, following the stars as they shyly appeared over the far horizon framed by a thin strand of gold from end to end, and thinking to myself....

"...you know, I think everything's going to turn out alright."

I don't know why that moment sticks out above many of my other memories of the Redknapp era...but it does. Just sitting outside on a silent, serene evening in Salzburg, and slowly filling up from top to bottom with the soothing, quietly cheering feeling that it was all going to be alright. Even I couldn't have known how wild and exciting the following years would turn out to be - filled with great moments, great adventures, great players, great disappointments, great tragedies, great pains....great memories. But back then, I somehow knew it would turn out all right in the end.

The thing I liked about the video was how diplomatic he was for someone who was having one of his young, talented players (and judgement) questioned. All 'it's your opinion, you're entitled to hold it, this game is all about opinions...but you're a c*nt.'

I sat through the whole thing waiting for him to go full on 'Fack orf, I'm a fackin' football manager', but it never really came. :p Overall, I don't see how anyone could hold any real grudges against the man. He was a good manager, one we badly needed, and one who came in and *vastly* exceeded the expectations that accompanied his initial appointment. Okay, he had the tactical nous of a carrot and thought the word 'rotation' was something only car mechanics needed to know...but sometimes all you really do need is a man who can consistently put the best eleven players on a pitch and tell them 'go out and be the players you believe yourselves to be'.

The shady money he kept getting caught up with wasn't our concern for the most part - the England farce was, but honestly that season was in danger when we ended January with Saha and Nelsen as our only incoming transfers anyway.

Personally, I'll always be grateful to the man - I remember sitting on the balcony of a guest house in Salzburg on one crisp, silent evening in December 2008, cup of steaming coffee in hand, contentedly scrolling through the BBC's match report of the Spurs-United game earlier that day that ended 0-0. At the end of it, I remember feeling amazed that I'd become so accustomed to expecting a result against the teams we were facing, even United, just a few months after the chaos, horror and agony that accompanied the start of that season. That late, late win against Liverpool. That away victory against a newly-minted City. That unforgettable draw against Arsenal. We were winning and drawing against the big boys (back when they actually still were the vaunted 'Big Four' and company), and we were alive again.

And I remember contentedly looking out at the deep, velvet sky above those quiet Austrian church spires, following the stars as they shyly appeared over the far horizon framed by a thin strand of gold from end to end, and thinking to myself....

"...you know, I think everything's going to turn out alright."

I don't know why that moment sticks out above many of my other memories of the Redknapp era...but it does. Just sitting outside on a silent, serene evening in Salzburg, and slowly filling up from top to bottom with the soothing, quietly cheering feeling that it was all going to be alright. Even I couldn't have known how wild and exciting the following years would turn out to be - filled with great moments, great adventures, great players, great disappointments, great tragedies, great pains....great memories. But back then, I somehow knew it would turn out all right in the end.
I don't think you meant that to be funny but it was. I could just hear a gospel choir faintly in the background coming in with a chorus in the white spaces.

I don't think you meant that to be funny but it was. I could just hear a gospel choir faintly in the background coming in with a chorus in the white spaces.

Didn't mean it that way, but I tried googling 'Saint Harry Redknapp', and all I got was this:

2349723.jpg

....so, y'know, maybe life shares your assessment of the comedic nature of that memory. ;)

Didn't mean it that way, but I tried googling 'Saint Harry Redknapp', and all I got was this:

2349723.jpg

....so, y'know, maybe life shares your assessment of the comedic nature of that memory. ;)
Sorry I was being a bit cheeky. I was more referring to the bolded bit where you came across rather poetic. I was almost in the moment. Well done sir.

Sorry I was being a bit cheeky. I was more referring to the bolded bit where you came across rather poetic. I was almost in the moment. Well done sir.

Hey, no worries - I like the picture anyway. ;) As for that last bit, yeah, I was in the moment a bit, given that it's still one of my most prominent Spurs-related memories. As I said, I don't actually know why that stuck with me the way it did, given that it was just me sitting under a darkening sky and feeling blissfully warm and contented. Maybe it was the beauty of that evening in Salzburg, or maybe it was just that time in my life - a falling, despairing undergraduate, with no idea of whether I had a place, or any talents at all worth contributing to the world.

All I know is that, in Salzburg, after all the worries about relegation, two points from eight games, the crashing and burning of yet another glorious dream and the realization of yet another false dawn...Harry Redknapp and his boys finally, fully convinced me that Tottenham Hotspur would be alright. That everything would work out all right in the end. And for that (and a number of other things), he'll have my eternal gratitude.

Last edited:
Back