• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best film of the 80s - Good Morning Vietnam v Withnail and I

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Good Morning Vietnam

Directed by Barry Levinson
Produced by Larry Brezner and Mark Johnson
Written by Mitch Markowitz
Starring Robin Williams and Forest Whitaker

v

Withnail and I

Directed by Bruce Robinson
Produced by Paul Heller
Written by Bruce Robinson
Starring Paul McGann, Richard E. Grant and Richard Griffiths

A massive favourite, with some of the finest lines available to humanity, against a vehicle for the most irksome actor of his generation. The most one-sided match-up so far.

" I want the finest wines known to humanity, I want them here and I want them now." My nomination, made on the smell of an oily rag and not just hilarious , but poignant too. The final scene still gives me goose bumps, all these years later.

Last edited:
I have never been able to watch more than about 15 minutes of Withnail and I.
I try it every now and again, knowing I am missing out on something. But I just can't get into it.

" I want the finest wines known to man, I want them here and I want them now." My nomination, made on the smell of an oily rag and not just hilarious , but poignant too. The final scene still gives me goose bumps, all these years later.

I'm the same with the final scene, it is so poignant

I have never been able to watch more than about 15 minutes of Withnail and I.
I try it every now and again, knowing I am missing out on something. But I just can't get into it.

Same for me as well, my son who is that age group says he does not get it either.

Yeah. Good Morning Vietnam is quite enjoyable but it is a vehicle to allow Robin Williams to do his stage act ten years after it was good. Withnail is perfect with barely a wasted line. Both films have a great soundtrack mind.
I was agreeing, I meant I can't believe the result.

If you could vote on the app, and despite Gale describing it as art earlier, I'd vote for Withnail, because I've seen it, possibly twice. High praise.

There may be a distinction between “what is the better film” v “what is the film you preferred most”.

In this case I don’t think either are great films, but I did at least manage to watch the whole of GM Vietnam.

Back