• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Asset Stripping Saints

Andyandy

Jason Cundy
Luke Shaw - gone.
Adam Lallana - gone.
Rickie Lambert - gone.
Dejan Lovren - going.
Morgan Schneiderlin - going maybe.
Mauricio Pochettino - gone.
Jay Rodregez - going.
Dani Osvaldo - going.

Having got (only) 8th last season the first team and coach (erhum) all appear to be moving on to bigger clubs.

It is a disgrace to see a club doing things the right way in terms of building a youth system and bringing them through, only to see the club so easily asset stripped by anybody desperate for an average midfield player.

I can't help but think that all of the above will be only be squad players at their new clubs and the gap between the top 6 and the rest be ever wider because of it.

No one has forced Southampton to sell. Some of the players could force the issue , sure, but some of it is Saints seeing the maximun sale value and are cashing in. Chances of Lambert, Lallana etc being so high in the market next year? That could well be the Saints business model so maybe they don't need our symapthy

Been victims of their own success, can't see them staying up next season. Even if they find adequate replacments that's a lot of changes to have to make to a first 11 in one summer.

What I wanna know is what really went on between Katharina Liebherr and Nicola Cortese. Whatever went on there is the real reason they are where they are.

It is a disgrace to see a club doing things the right way in terms of building a youth system and bringing them through, only to see the club so easily asset stripped by anybody desperate for an average midfield player.

Thats modern day football. Its absolutely no different to what happens at every other club though. And i'm sure southampton themselves have benefitted too from being a bigger club than many others.

To stay at the top of whatever football tree you belong to, you need the finances to match that position. Thats why we see clubs like Dortmund no longer able to compete for the Bundesliga title. They simply didnt have the financial clout to hold onto the calibre of players that could maintain title challenges. It will be exactly the same for Atletico Madrid. They performed higher than their financial capacity dictated they should do. And market forces will inevitably "resolve this problem". Falcao and Diego Costa have left, and so will a few others. Atletico will revert back to the mid-table, in-line with their finances. Just like Valencia, Sevilla and Deportivo have done before them over the past decade.

Even us and Arsenal are good examples of this. Over the past decade, we have both produced/developed top players; Adebayor, Nasri, RVP, Fabregas, Sagna, Modric, Bale, Berbatov etc. These are the calibre of player required for title challenges. However neither of us have sustained title challanges over the past decade, becuase we havent been able to hold onto them. Simply put, it isnt enough to produce good players. You need the financial muscle to hold onto these good players that you have produced.

This is why with the introduction of FFP, continuation of the Champions League in its current format etc etc, the top teams will find it very hard to not be a top team any time soon. Man Utd are showing that they can easily sustain one bad season. They have just signed the likes of herrera and shaw for 30m each. and have agreed a couple of the largest sponsorship deals in football ever. This will enable them to have greater financial might than the likes of southampton, and thus, they always be bigger than them, no matter how many bales, walcotts, oxlade-chamberlains, lallanas, shaws, schneiderlins, lamberts, chambers' they produce.

Thats modern day football. Its absolutely no different to what happens at every other club though. And i'm sure southampton themselves have benefitted too from being a bigger club than many others.

To stay at the top of whatever football tree you belong to, you need the finances to match that position. Thats why we see clubs like Dortmund no longer able to compete for the Bundesliga title. They simply didnt have the financial clout to hold onto the calibre of players that could maintain title challenges. It will be exactly the same for Atletico Madrid. They performed higher than their financial capacity dictated they should do. And market forces will inevitably "resolve this problem". Falcao and Diego Costa have left, and so will a few others. Atletico will revert back to the mid-table, in-line with their finances. Just like Valencia, Sevilla and Deportivo have done before them over the past decade.

Even us and Arsenal are good examples of this. Over the past decade, we have both produced/developed top players; Adebayor, Nasri, RVP, Fabregas, Sagna, Modric, Bale, Berbatov etc. These are the calibre of player required for title challenges. However neither of us have sustained title challanges over the past decade, becuase we havent been able to hold onto them. Simply put, it isnt enough to produce good players. You need the financial muscle to hold onto these good players that you have produced.

This is why with the introduction of FFP, continuation of the Champions League in its current format etc etc, the top teams will find it very hard to not be a top team any time soon. Man Utd are showing that they can easily sustain one bad season. They have just signed the likes of herrera and shaw for 30m each. and have agreed a couple of the largest sponsorship deals in football ever. This will enable them to have greater financial might than the likes of southampton, and thus, they always be bigger than them, no matter how many bales, walcotts, oxlade-chamberlains, lallanas, shaws, schneiderlins, lamberts, chambers' they produce.

Doesn't stop it being a disgrace though but fair point, Saints are just the tip of the iceberg.

I wonder where the city, utd, Chelsea or even spurs reserves would have finished last season...I suspect most of them would have finished above Southampton though.

For me the story of last season was how poor the rest of the teams below Southampton actually were. They simply could not compete against the top six including us and even when we were playing badly (with no real confidence) we were usually too strong.

What's amazing is that so many players would rather be a reserve than play for teams like Southampton. I know it's about the status and salary but surely it's better to play.

30m for Luke Shaw will see them replace him with a solid left back.
25m for Adam Lallana and theyve replaced with highly rated Tadic for 10m
6m for Rickie Lambert and theyve replaced with highly rated Pelle for 9m
20m for Lovren could EASILY see them replace with a solid dependable centre half
Schneiderlin still not gone.
Poch replaced by Koeman who will implement new style and new philosophy with HIS team.
Rodriguez injured and still there.
Osvaldo still there.

Luke Shaw - gone.
Adam Lallana - gone.
Rickie Lambert - gone.
Dejan Lovren - going.
Morgan Schneiderlin - going maybe.
Mauricio Pochettino - gone.
Jay Rodregez - going.
Dani Osvaldo - going.

Having got (only) 8th last season the first team and coach (erhum) all appear to be moving on to bigger clubs.

I can't help but think that all of the above will be only be squad players at their new clubs and the gap between the top 6 and the rest be ever wider because of it.

Like Mumorn said, a couple of those are a bit premature. And I don't think selling Osvaldo will be seen as a huge loss based on last season.

Like Mumorn also points out they have gotten solid money for the players they have sold and will get good sums for any further players they sell too (apart from Osvaldo perhaps). For it to be an asset stripping that money will have to be taken out of the club and the club sold on, if that money is reinvested in the first team squad it's not really asset stripping.

What I wanna know is what really went on between Katharina Liebherr and Nicola Cortese. Whatever went on there is the real reason they are where they are.

My understanding is that Katharina Libherr has no interest in owning or running the club and just wants to get rid, unlike her father who was both interested and saw it as a good long term investment. Cortese was all about building for the future and improving the club to increase the value of the club (not unlike Levy), this directly clashed with Katharina Libherr's wishes.

I agree that this is where it started. I think there's a really strong chance Poch would have stayed had Cortese stayed and that some of the players now leaving or looking to leave would have stayed had Poch stayed.

I think they'll still finish around the 10th place mark but I don't see them improving on that for the next few seasons, if anything they'll regress.

With all those players gone they still have 13-14 PL quality players.

Add 2 defenders, 1mf and 2 strikers and they'll be fine.

It'll be goalscoring that will be the major concern

in some sense, you can understand why libherr would want to cash in on the players (whilst they are being valued as high as they are). with those players, southampton are still in the group of "7th-20th best teams" in the league, yet they are still in this group without those players. basically, they have no chance of building on the success of last season (in the sense that they could challenge a champions league spot). the financial gap between them and the champions league teams is too great. but with or without those players, because they aren't one of the top 6 teams, the threat of relegation will always be there. i guess libherr decided that the slight increase of relegation risk was worth the money that they would receive for those players. i can't say i blame her too much if this was her line of thinking. also if she does decide to sell the club in the near future, the valuation of those players would not have been directly included in the valuation of the club. the club is probably only valued at a couple million, therefore these sales would have been significant to her finances.

I really do wonder how many of these players were really mainly good because they were playing for Poch and under Poch's system.

I could see one or two of those players flopping elsewhere; namely Lallana, Lovren and Shaw. Time will tell I guess. Sadly, from a financial point of view some of these sales were no-brainers: unreal money paid or all of them tbf (let's hope that's NOT the case for Schneiderlin....[-o<)

BtlF1NtIcAAG5mS.jpg

They'll be in a relegation fight, but not because they're selling a few players. Appointing Koeman already guaranteed it.

My saints supporting mate from uni already thinks they're going to be going down.

I just can't see any sensible strategy in what they're doing, it's like they don't actually want to be in the premier league.

In one post you have pretty much summed up everything that is wrong with modern day football.

What (I think) is suggested by the thread title and OP is quite different from what happens at "every other club". If the Southampton owner is in deed looking to "asset strip" Southampton by selling off their highest value players, putting some nodding heads in place as chairman and manager until that is finished and then selling the club to the highest bidder leaving with the profits from the player sales and club sale that's not the same as Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla, Arsenal or Spurs. It is something quite different.

Oh, and Dortmund is the club in Germany with the second highest turnover. They will be able to at least compete for the Bundesliga title if they continue running the club as superbly as they have in recent years.

The margins between 8th-12th and relegation in the PL are quite small, the level of turnover at Saints puts them in a potentially dangerous situation, add in a manager that has never managed in PL and a squad that any new additions won't have a preseason with .... a bad start to season could see them adrift very early.

But .. reading their forums, they still are a bunch of deluded idiots .. **** me SCBC, most of them can't understand why playing for Spurs would be a step up for their players, guess they have missed their league positions for last 7-10 years ...

Back