• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Anthony Martial

I don't really get that.... Welbeck is a mediocre player not good enough to be helping us get into the top four and yet he was able to help Arsenal to finish 3rd last season?

Or, they did it despite his below average footballing skills. Four goals in the league.

No, he named a couple of players including Martial who weren't for sale then basically said everyone else had their price...

That's what AVB said about Bale - and we know where that ended up. If we want to sign Martial and the kid is adamant to leave, the opinion of the coach is not exactly the most crucial factor...

Great shout. He just doesn't look like a very capable dribbler. That whole video just looks like him running at terrible defenders on the counter, barely manipulating the ball but still managing to gain plenty of space for the shot/cross. Reminds me of videos of Chadli before we signed him.

Welbeck would have been a poor signing last year. Mediocre player who isn't good enough if we want to break into the top 4, and would have blocked Kane's path to the first team.

Sure, Welbeck would be okay as a backup striker, but if we are going to be signing players of his calibre to play on the wing, we may as well give up now.

I registered my reluctance to sign Mo Salah in another thread, but he would be 10 times the signing that Welbeck (or any similar player) would be. Again, the name Ayoze Perez has been brought up, and while I think he is also a limited player who hasn't had a great deal of game time in the wide areas, he at least looks tricky and direct.

If we were signing Martial as a squad player, then fine, but we are kidding ourselves if we think we're in the position to spend £18m on a squad player.

Besides the games against Arsenal, in which he didn't stand out, that Youtube video is the only time I have seen this guy, so I might be wrong

I agree that based on that video he doesn't look like anything special. But he's 19. Essentially the age where quite a few Spurs fans were writing off Harry Kane as not going to make it... The age when Gareth Bale was just about ending his 25 games without a win in a Spurs shirt. Etc etc...

If he's being signed for what will for us be a lot of money it's obviously a deal for a player with a lot of potential, not just the current ability. That's very different to signing a "squad player".

I have no doubt it's a tough job but we are not talking a huge gap of money to get deals done .. It's reported we have bid 15m for martial but they want 18m which we won't go to .. Maybe that's wrong maybe it's true but I want some conviction . If Spurs really want player they should have him signed before agent gets chance to shoot his load to press or for any itk to claim he is the king of inside info ... Every transfer is dragged out to fudge allowing bigger teams to nip in and take the player and not allowing us to become stronger .. Season after season it happens . Identify players we want get then signed ASAP and do what it takes in transfer talks to get it over line before clubs know what da fudge is happening
That's the problem though, every player and agent is going to drag it out if they have genuine quality to see if the top CL teams will come in for them. When it's clear they won't then it's our turn. You only ever see us pipped to transfers by the very top teams and that's the way the football chain will continue to work I'm afraid and it has naff all to do with Levy. All these demanding we just pay a few extra million just to sign a player earlier are living in the clouds...

That's the problem though, every player and agent is going to drag it out if they have genuine quality to see if the top CL teams will come in for them. When it's clear they won't then it's our turn. You only ever see us pipped to transfers by the very top teams and that's the way the football chain will continue to work I'm afraid and it has naff all to do with Levy. All these demanding we just pay a few extra million just to sign a player earlier are living in the clouds...

Spot on.

To put things in perspective, Windy was saying on Twitter last night that he has heard that Ings was on £80k at Liverpool. That is about twice what we would offer and that is the price of getting deals done early.

Agreed. I know this but if this transfer has got to clubs talking it must at stage where player is interested n keen on coming so if it's a case of haggling with Monaco or Marseille then bite bullet I say a little bit and get deals over line .. We do penny pinch levy has a notorious rep for it and all these stories can't be wrong .. My attitude would be for Spurs to show conviction in player and get him signed and stop saving a few quid which it seems that's all if is , we not talking million n millions in relative terms.. It just opens us up for more ridicule when bigger clubs jump in .. That's risk we have to take until we get cl

Agreed. I know this but if this transfer has got to clubs talking it must at stage where player is interested n keen on coming so if it's a case of haggling with Monaco or Marseille then bite bullet I say a little bit and get deals over line .. We do penny pinch levy has a notorious rep for it and all these stories can't be wrong .. My attitude would be for Spurs to show conviction in player and get him signed and stop saving a few quid which it seems that's all if is , we not talking million n millions in relative terms.. It just opens us up for more ridicule when bigger clubs jump in .. That's risk we have to take until we get cl

What impact do you think that would have on our wage bill?

Source? Which teams are you thinking of that are succeeding with this kind of strategy?

When I look at the top leagues for teams that are significantly over performing compared to their financial restraints near the top of those leagues two clubs stand out in the last handful of years - Dortmund and Atletico Madrid. Both, to me at least, have taken an approach much closer to what Levy does than what you're suggesting. Developing young talented players, patience and cleverness in the transfer market going for the players the elite teams aren't going for, identifying good value and players that are underrated, finding players that fit in well in the team.

Ourselves is another example, at a slightly lower level. For all the complaining about Levy from yourself and others we have actually performed above our financial standing fairly consistently, although with a small-ish margin.

Further down the table in England two of the clubs to look for as well run successful clubs are Southampton and Swansea. Again, clubs that seem to operate on a model much closer to ours than to your suggested strategy.

I can name several clubs that have seemingly (to me at least) tried your strategy and failed, I don't even have to go into Leeds territory to do so.

But since this was your claim, why don't you provide the supporting arguments... This is the "risk we have to take until we get CL" you claim. Based on what? Which examples am I missing out on here with my admittedly clearly fallible memory?

Spot on.

To put things in perspective, Windy was saying on Twitter last night that he has heard that Ings was on £80k at Liverpool. That is about twice what we would offer and that is the price of getting deals done early.
Wow. Good agent.

What impact do you think that would have on our wage bill?
Yep I think we need to move some players on first for this reason, it is not just about transfer fees but wages and we are paying some big wages for players who do not seem to have a future with us and were barely played last season.

I don't really get that.... Welbeck is a mediocre player not good enough to be helping us get into the top four and yet he was able to help Arsenal to finish 3rd last season?
Or, they did it despite his below average footballing skills. Four goals in the league.

Spot on Jordi... We don't have the likes of Sanchez, Ozil or even Chamberlain and Walcott for that matter.

I agree that based on that video he doesn't look like anything special. But he's 19. Essentially the age where quite a few Spurs fans were writing off Harry Kane as not going to make it... The age when Gareth Bale was just about ending his 25 games without a win in a Spurs shirt. Etc etc...

If he's being signed for what will for us be a lot of money it's obviously a deal for a player with a lot of potential, not just the current ability. That's very different to signing a "squad player".

You're not wrong, I am just not convinced (from that video alone, apparently he was good against Arsenal, obviously I wasn't paying close enough attention), that his potential is worth spending £18m on. After all Bale cost £7m and Kane came from the academy. We very rarely spend over £10m on unknown quantities.

We are not in the position of Chelsea where we can afford to chuck around £20m like it is nothing; ultimately that is going to take a sizable chunk out of our budget for the summer, and I would rather spend that sort of money on someone a bit more ready for first-team action. Otherwise by the time he blossoms - if he does - then Eriksen, Lloris, Kane and GHod knows who else could already be out of the door!

If Levy and the famed 'transfer committee' are going to be spending this sort of money on a 19 year old however, I expect they will have seen far more than one crappy Youtube video! As such I would be willing to trust their judgement provided we can still sign the players we need.

Saw that too. Maybe it's just like someone else said, they wanted to up the price by claiming he wasn't for sale.

L equipe reporting that Martial is about to sign a new contract with Monaco

thats that then

Anthony Martial is ready to snub interest from Tottenham and sign a new deal with Monaco, according to his agent.

The 19-year-old is one of the hottest prospect in French football and has been likened to former Arsenal great Thierry Henry.

Tottenham have scouted the forward several times and reports had linked them with an £18m bid for his services this summer.

However the Frenchman's agent, Philippe Lamboley, has put an end to those rumours by claiming his client is set to extend his stay with Monaco.

"We have had a constructive meeting today [Wednesday]," Lamboley told L'Equipe.

"There is a detail that remains, but we are close to an agreement for a contract extension of one year [until 2019]."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/totte...-monaco-deal-150625152160#2XKVuEIXPSBfEJal.99

L equipe reporting that Martial is about to sign a new contract with Monaco

thats that then
Shame. I've only seen him play once (I think) but a friend in France, whose opinion I trust, tells me that Martial has the potential to be properly world class, and is showing glimpses of it already.

Makes me wonder if our supposed interest was a ploy by his agent to strengthen his hand in contract negotiations. Possibly not... either way, Monaco can offer significantly better wages than we can, though there will doubtlessly be those who see our not signing him as another failure by Levy (as opposed to simply being a young man choosing the highest paid job available).

It's gonna be a case like Depay where he'll stay in his home country for one more year before attracting interest from bigger clubs in 2016/2017. Our interest has been very clear although most of the information from France has been to say that the club (Monaco) and the coach were very keen to hang on to him. We probably hit a brick wall with this one which is why its been two weeks where we haven't heard anything.

Back